MTMTE #32 discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Omegashark18, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Omnus

Omnus needs more time TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  2. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Actually yeah... I think both Omnus and Split Lip have posted very similar theories about "editing" as being the meta-motif at play here, and you've added a couple more wrinkles to the case.

Just how meta it will turn out to be remains to be seen... though truth be known, I'm REALLY hoping that Roberts doesn't carry this down the Grant Morrison/Animal Man road.

zmog

3. SMOG

4. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    I knew I couldn't have been the first to notice this.

I feel like we're seeing something meta but at the same time... not (if that makes any sense)? The meta portion definitely exists in some capacity already, but at the same time I'm almost certain there'll be some literal editing done around the corner. I just don't think we have any knowledge as to what that is yet.

5. rodimus_dilbert

rodimus_dilbert Active Member

Chromedome is rewriting history in his head.

6. gregles

gregles quintesson

They also showed Tailgate an edited history of the war to win him over to the autobot side and prowl went to lots of trouble to edit the Aequitas trials out of the cybertronian history books.

I love how the moral to the current IDW tales is becoming really murky, this is my take on it; don't trust your own past and memories, don't trust your future if your ironhide nor messages from it if your a lost lighter, don't trust anyone's true identity, don't trust your Law-makers and enforcers, don't trust revolutionaries, don't trust utopia's, don't trust the knights of cybertron and primus nor those who believe in them, especially don't trust any drink prepared for you by Whirl, the briefcase is a lie and you are almost certainly being deceived. I think this makes Red Alert the mary sue of the story.

Anyone else got a different take on the moral to the current IDW tales?

7. SMOG

I'd rather the meta stay a metaphor... a motif, rather than becoming actually fourth-wall-breaking. I don't mind when things are self-reflexive, but I also need to stay immersed in the tacit reality of the story, otherwise it utterly dissipate my interest.

zmgo

8. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    I'm not really expecting any fourth-walls to be broken (nor do I want any fourth walls to be broken), but I'm certain a character is bound to get mind-hacked or have their memories edited for whatever purpose.

Fourth walls... I'm not so sure. Few things are worse than the reminder that the characters you're reading aren't real.

9. Omnus

Omnus needs more time TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Really living up to your new title, eh? :wink: 
    I'm nowhere near as literate as I like to think I am, since I had to look the term up (after reading what it was I am very familiar with the technique).

Yeah, not deliberate, just no c&p, and being lazy about letting the board title the link (which superficially looks like an act of mise-en-anyme).

No need to be so down about it, there was a distinct possibility that you could've been first at noticing it appear somewhere outside of issue #28. The circumstances just didn't roll in your favor for that this time.

Yeah, I wasn't positing the editing in a Grant Morrison/meta thing. I meant that the editing was an actual in-story form of attack against the Lost Light.

Quantum information theory has become a very "in" thing in the past few years.

My theory about the story's events is that someone "weaponized" the alteration of quantum information and is using an "edit weapon" against the Lost Light. The changes it makes start out minor (as we saw in issue #28) but eventually reach a critical threshold in which the changes are so widespread as to be easily noticed (large portions of the ship disappear).

The original Lost Light disappearing and the "edited" one reappearing signify that the editing process has changed the overwhelming majority of the quantum information and is nearing completion. Rewind reappearing inside the Magnus armor is the process nearing completion.

The nature of such a weapon would make such attacks virtually indefensible (similar to Tyrest's CC-killer). In most circumstances, such a weapon would also be very morally wrong (again, similar to Tyrest's CC-killer).

Something that I hadn't noticed when I posted my theory is that, coincidentally (or not), the Lost Light was supposed to be nearing Thunderclash's ship in #28, but wasn't getting a response on communications. Perhaps the Vis Vitalis has already fallen victim to this weapon?

10. GWolfv2

GWolfv2 Deathsaurus - A name you can trust for peace

News Credits:
    Referring to the Overlord decpitation discrepancy mentioned earlier:

There's no discrepancy. James confirmed waaaaaaay back when on the IDW board that the DJD use ununtrium coated blades (e.g. Tesarus' whirligig). Using the Hardness Scale Principal (an object can only be cut byt something as hard or harder than it), ununtrium is able to cut into ununtrium. It's how they took Black Shadow's legs off. So the saw is easily explained as being coated in ununtrium.

11. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    Oh yeah, does anyone have a size comparison of the DJD? I'm nearly positive that Tesarus and Helex are a third of a size larger than Tarn. I mean, Helex was able to rip off Mainframe's head with one of his smaller arms so I assume...

People question how they were able to kill everyone so easily yet seem to forget that two of them are insanely huge. Like if Overlord can punch a hole in Magnus then Helex should be able to eat you like a chocolate bar.

12. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ooo, don't get your real science into this made-up science. That's actually not true at all. You can quite comprehensively destroy a diamond with a MUCH softer lead hammer, even if you couldn't make a scratch appear on it with anything softer than another diamond.

Ununutrium is more like "adamantium." It's Comics Magic.

13. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    YESH BOSH. I remember doing a paper on this shit back when I thought learning was for squares and fatsos, and it's a misconception that is staggeringly painful to see so widely accepted.

14. primushatesyou

primushatesyou Crusadercon

News Credits:
    Ebay:

https://twitter.com/utf2005/status/507269973925171200

Check Milne's replies, as well as the other picture reply. DJD Scale Chart confirmed by Milne himself

15. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Damn so we'd need Tesarus and Helex to be Leader Class figures or so to scale properly if we wanted an accurate DJD crew.

16. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    Well shit, turns out they're even bigger than I thought.

Also apparently Tarn is Megatron's height. Balls.

17. Stevejr

Stevejr Air commander TFW2005 Supporter

Speaking of Tarn I'm predicting Megs is gonna get his signature weapon back when he meets up with the DJD. How you ask? Weak or not Megatron still has his brain and I'm willing to bet if he had Overlord altered to not be able to disobey then he sure as hell wouldn't let the whole DJD run around with that much power if they could ever use it on him.

18. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Technically Tarn has a DOUBLE-fusion canon, so it's not quite Meg's signature weapon - but yeah I totally see Megatron having a failsafe against them as well - it'd be a bit anticlimactic though considering this would be yet another set of heavy hitters taken down by a failsafe - but it's probably also the only way the Lost Light crew would come out of that confrontation alive.

19. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think the Scavengers will show up in the next issue if the cover is judge of it.

20. SMOG

That's okay... you can stick to your impenetrible science jargon, and I'll work the obscurantism from the humanities angle. :wink: 

James Roberts = hipster. :) 

That's still pretty meta, but yeah... it works with some of what we've already seen.

Either that, or something in the Matrix has been updated. :p 

A quantum-reality-altering weapon sounds like par for the course in this series, really.

Official Milne Scale or not, I'm calling shenanigans on the scale as it appears panel to panel in this series. There are times when physical size becomes entirely... um... psychologically subjective? Magnus is one of the "biggest" offenders this way, but when we look at the DJD, especially in their first appearance, Tarn absolutely dwarfs Black Shadow (even accounting for his dismemberment). So unless (in a reference to his original toy) Black Shadow was actually a smaller dude, inside a bigger dude shell, Tarn was a hell of a lot bigger than Megatron.

But whatevs. It's good to have a WoG on their sizes finally.

Given what we know, it does seem sort of unthinkable that Megatron would leave the DJD roaming around without some kind of failsafe. If Tarn is truly the fanatic he seems to be, would he actually find a way to disable any such failsafe, or would he blindly accept Megatron's will?

OR... trusting in Tarn's ideological extremism, would Megatron have left him uncapped, as a sort of failsafe for himself? Kind of a "should I ever falter in my resolve, I know Tarn will punish me for my failure" mentality... ?

zmog