MtMtE #29 Discussion / Review

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Anguirus, May 13, 2014.

1. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just read this last night! My review on Deadshirt.net can't go up till Thursday, but my editor is letting me discuss it here.

Well...we find out who's in the coffin. Some of you called it: I would not have guessed. I'll just say...must have been some six months.

I'm already a little tired of the flashbacks and ready for them to end, though they are very good in this issue. We've seen the Temptation of Rodimus already in the preview. The only other hint explaining the change of command happens during the trial. As per tradition, a sampling of Megatron's various offenses are being recited to justify his impending execution after his guilty plea. But then Starscream is allowed to, most unconventionally, speak in the accused's "defense" by the court.

This being Starscream, he's jockeying for two things--destroy Megatron psychologically, and increase his poll ratings (which several characters have developed a Clintonian obsession with). He picks a pretty novel way to grind Megatron's face in it, one I didn't see coming but makes perfect sense. However, of course, he pushes it too far. Megatron asks for a consultation with Magnus and Magnus comes back with the most adorable sad face I've ever seen. Plea changed to not guilty.

The stuff on the Lost Light is split up between more Nightbeat-Chromedome horseplay working on the mystery set up last issue, Tailgate being incredibly endearing to absolutely everyone (the Legislator is just Swerve's new doorman), and Megatron being a surprisingly excellent captain. A very restrained difference of opinion between Megatron and Magnus is blown out of proportion into a near-brawl by Riptide, who is the ship's gossip columnist. Keep an eye on this guy, because he ALSO instigates an already-blitzed Trailcutter to get extra-properly smashed on Megatron's "superfuel."

He's caught absolutely dead to rights by Megatron, Magnus, and half a dozen armed Autobots, but Megatron deftly solves several problems at once--he calmly addresses Trailcutter by name (though he gets it wrong at first), waits out his "reflex forcefield" (this is what opens the coffin), and since Trailcutter should never have been able to get in that room to begin with, he appoints him the new Lost Light security chief. But we can't have a drunken security chief of course, so Trailcutter's fuel-intake-moderation chip is fused on. He seems a bit torn between being appreciated for once, and yet also being deprived of his one joy in life. That's our wacky Megatron!

Oh and P.S. Trailcutter gets one sip of Megatron's fuel before spitting it across the room. He thinks it tastes like "poison." I think a lot of us successfully predicted one aspect of Megatron's parole after last issue.

As usual, I throughly enjoyed the experience of reading this issue! Swerve's recap was quite possibly brilliant, and it was wonderful to see character work being done with Trailcutter and the long-convalescent Tailgate. Riptide seems like he might be taking a run up at full-on antagonist, and Atomizer plays a unique and troubling role as well (from preview). I can't wait till the Wiki takes a crack at the cameos, there are some very interesting extras drawn this issue, including a guy with *huge* white possibly-organic wings!

However, I'm desperately hoping that MtMtE #30 is the conclusion of some kind of three-parter dealing with the trial and the coffin and some of this mystery business. These past two issues have felt like a move toward the endless serialization approach that the book widely eschewed before, with storylines ranging from a single issue to a five-part epic. There's only so long you can drag out the mystery of why Megatron is the captain, when the whole point is to enjoy this deeply screwy concept for all it's worth, and we're not there yet but we're getting close. The REAL answer why Megatron is the captain was shown by the Trailcutter situation. The fact that he can turn insubordination into a boon to the entire ship demonstrates that adding compassion to Megatron's formidable personality has created a uniquely able individual. And best of all, it makes Starscream, as usual, wrong, wrong, wrong. :D 

2. HeroicC300

HeroicC300 Chats with Artists

News Credits:
    Was the guy with HUGE wings also Blue?

Might be Railspike, who is on there.

Looking forward to tomorrow.

3. Anguirus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    He has a black and white chest, red shoulders and hips, white helmet with blue visor. He looks tall for an Autobot, and has black fins jutting backward from the base on white gauntlets.

His wings have a white "arm" and gray "skin" and might be metallic, but are somewhat bat-like.

4. HeroicC300

HeroicC300 Chats with Artists

News Credits:
    I have no clue.

But that sounds awesome.

5. Anguirus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ There seem to be a lot more OCs in the mix, which is awesome. It's weird to see the same few dozen guys over and over.

6. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Could it be Aquabat? Riptide mentioned him in #28.

7. maku098

maku098 ; solves everything.

News Credits:
    Makes me think of Prowl II for some reason.

8. Wrecker217

Wrecker217 Heart Like a Hand Grenade

News Credits:
    Should spoiler tag what the Legislator's function on the ship is.
    tags save suspense.

9. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Looks like a good read.

I am still curious why to Mirage and some of Protectorbots are being placed conspicuous paneling all do to pointed event. Listening to Rung's Therapy session with Megatron and the Coffin. It feels like leading to an event.

10. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    Thats G1 Doublecross

11. edgs2099

edgs2099 Optimistically realistic. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't let a guy named Doublecross on my ship. Or in my yard for that matter.

12. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yep. It really bad thing omen it liked jinxed or something.

13. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Sounds interesting.

So they didn't reveal Rodimus's current whereabouts in this one....figures much.

14. GWolfv2

GWolfv2 Deathsaurus - A name you can trust for peace

News Credits:
    IMO, the flashbacks are the actual story in this, with the modern stuff functioning far more as raw set up. But that's a personal interpretation

And yes, this is a three parter. Although...stuff.

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  15. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    I think I now might know who Whirl was talking to.

16. Anguirus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh of course it's a Monsterbot! They are so easy to overlook. Well I love his new design!

17. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Interesting read. So besides all of the Protectobots finally being in one place together, the Lost Light is now home to all 3 Monsterbots as well. Cool, we haven't seen them for a while it'll be nice to see some development for them. And was that Aquafend that was drawing down on Trailcutter, Josh?

18. TF14

TF14 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Repugnus is on board too?

19. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    Not sure I follow. Which page?

20. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think it's page 17. The one where Trailcutter is caught stealing Megatron's "Super Fuel". The bots that are in the doorway include Megatron, Ultra Magnus, Ratchet, Groove, Streetwise and a pink/green/blue bot with a yelow/orange gun. Given his colors and overall design, he looks to me to be Aquafend, who was a G2 Aquaspeeder from Europe based on the Jetstorm mold.

I only asked about it because the position of his wheels on his shoulders were off a bit from the Toy and that the forearms on the toy are the same color as his hands which the comic version gave him bluish green instead. I was just wondering if I had guessed right.

Thanks for the quick reply BTW.