MtMtE #18 Discussion Thread (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Nope, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Stygimoloch

Stygimoloch ROBOT! JET! ROBOT!

News Credits:
    I want spoilers too! Pretty please Yggdrasil?

2. REMINATOR

REMINATOR Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's very simple, I have to draw a line somewhere regardless which media I'm interest in. Otherwise, my limited of space will be invaded by tons and tons or comic titles, toys, cartoon dvds, etc. I tried to collect or read something that really, really capture my interest e.g. TF: UMagnus, DC: Superman, Marvel: Gambit.

3. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like all the chars equally and some more than others. I am more interested in seeing where it goes.

4. TF14

TF14 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ^so you don't like all the characters equally.

5. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I really don't see what the big deal is with the reveal.
    Magnus has never been an especially vivid or dynamic character, and I certainly don't see how this subverts him in any way, nor is it all that different than what Dreamwave was praised for years ago. If anything, it adds a bit more interest to his normally somewhat bland self.

The only thing that feels like a bit of a WTF are the actual physical mechanics of it. As has been pointed out by a few people before now... how exactly was Ratchet unaware of this? How does this enable him to survive the various traumas we've witnessed up till now?

That seems like a bit of a lapse on Roberts' part, though hopefully he'll offer a reasonable explanation.

zmog

6. Omegax80

Omegax80 Using a Positive Rifle

News Credits:
    Well
    it could be Ratchet was unconscious, and because he was still connected to his spark casing he did not feel nor realize what Pharma was doing to him.

I think we are going to see some new dimensions to characters we never thought possible.

7. WilyMech

News Credits:
    I think Smog is saying that Ratchet should have detected that Ultra Magnus was a pretender or pick up the Minimus inside Ultra Magnus. Unless all the medical files on Ultra were fake, but that not reasonable either given that the damage is severe Ratchet could have seen the robot inside Ultra.

8. WilyMech

News Credits:
    Yep. I have no real favorites in MTMTE so if Tailgates dies or Ultra Magnus it is not a major but hurt to me. I like the story more than one character as a favorite. Whole Roberts story is about all the characters and what how they react to a situation.

So there is no one character that overwhelms the story where it happen in some other comic books and other books when is suppose be about a group not a single char. Rodimus is good char he been handle where he does not outshine his importance to the story he been portrayed as imperfect leader that is still an effective one. In all the continuities this one of my favorite Rodimus and I had intense dislike for the Marvel version. I attribute to good writing.

9. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    You forget how much this fandom puts into the aestetics and look of the characters.

Dreamwave made him a white Optimus recolour like the g1 toy and was paised for it.

IDW on the other hand made him a little green mustache dude that doesn't look in any way like Optimus. And since that's not G1 enought I can see a lot of people (who generaly don't read comic but like to bitch about them none the less) having a bone with it and use it as some sort of a banner for the "IDW DOESN'T MAKE G1 COMICS FOR FANS FUCK IDW I HOPE YOU FAIL!!!" shenenigans like it's been for the last 6 years since DW ended.

10. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran

News Credits:
    Eh.

I'm not really a big fan of it, but I'm still not going OMG RUINED FOREVER or anything.

11. RatTrap1985

RatTrap1985 Under your rolls of fat

I doubt it. star saber is exactly the same. He is a little dude inside a suit.

Why though? I love ultra magnus, he is one of my top 5 characters, and I love this. It gives Ultra Magnus layers. He is somewhat of a bore otherwise. I mean a white optimus clone? That is a snooze fest, but a white and green guy that has an optimus head without the face mask and a stache? That is different enough without being silly.

Plus ambus still looks like he transforms into the cab of his truck.

12. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    Hmmm, so they did go that route then. I'm a little surprised, and a little not. I don't mind the concept at all, but I still feel it's been clumsily handled. For the first time Roberts is going to have to work at this to wow me. Not so much what we've seen there, but the whole House Ambus thing.

13. RatTrap1985

Here is a photo of ambus. I think a lot of people wouldn't have their panties in such a bunch if he was given a faceplate. In my opinion he still looks like a white prime; just not as bulky.

Attached Files:

14. REMINATOR

News Credits:
    I have no issue prior to #18. But just basing on #18 and preview #19, my biggest beef so far, again this is just a speculation, is that certainly I have doubt the existing of UM (maybe Star Saber too) as a character. He may be dead sometime eons ago and somehow Tyres & his men got a hold of UM body and use it as their power suit with Minimus Ambus being the current driver. Whoever disagree with Tyres, he outstripped the power suit e.g. preview #19. For that reason, that's why whenever UM dies and reactivate he has a different personality due to new driver.

And here, I thought, he looks like Prime in IDW Megatron Origin 3, hehee:
    [​IMG]

15. ss4steve

ss4steve Rogue Phase Sixer

I was looking at that too. Magnus, even from the G1 prism, is a smaller bot in a suit of armor...no matter how you cut it.

If you change the green color pallet of Minimus to white and add a face plate ..... it could be quite passable.... and accepted. What if Minimus does the faceplate thing like Optimus in TF Prime?

So...in my humble opinion, this is just like all of the other things in the reimagined IDW-verse Roberts has created for the transformers through his writing.

Like I said before. I can live with it

16. ArmedonLSD

ArmedonLSD Well-Known Member

Would not minimus have been blown to pieces when overlord shot him in um's gut

17. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    Megatron Origin was written originally to fit into the Dreamwave contiuity. Almost everything about it has been retconed except for the Megatron being a miner part.

18. Sockie

Sockie Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I believe that it might not just be as simple as Minimus donning a suit--he might actually merge with it.

19. RatTrap1985

Even if that is the case, the character as we have known him in the entirety of IDW is minimus. Also, that scene from Megatron Origin 3 is, at best, an easter egg. It is not meant to be an accurate representation of Ultra Magnus/Minimus.

The thing that Megatron origin doesnt show is when Minimus turns around on that page he is sporting his stache.

It looks as if phrama somehow saves him. I'm guessing the process of putting on the armor is what kept him alive.
    It also looks like Magnus has a green spark in that botcon preview.

20. REMINATOR

News Credits:
    LOL......
    At first I thought it was my post until I read your texts. Then when I looked at the signature again, I realize there's a green dude, :lol