MSRP concerns?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by jorod74, Aug 27, 2009.

1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have been buying TFs and been okay with the street price or MSRP on them.
    But after buying other Hasbro products, i am getting concerned about the prices going up on my beloved TFs.

I paid 45 bucks for a GI Joe Night Raven. when i got it in the mail, and saw how small and closer to a $20 toy is was, i was bummed. Same goes for other items (the Cobra Gunship, the Rhino, the Dragonhawk, etc.)

It makes me wonder what the price point for Deluxes will be soon. For the most part, we pay $12 and up for a Deluxe with no accessories.
    We pay close to $30 for an Ultra with gimmicks that aren't really necessary.
    Leader Class? same thing, except $45-$50 for a gimmicky figure.

so if the "ROC Effect" hits TFs, what are we looking at paying?
    I just don't want to pay Henkei or higher prices for a basic figure.

2. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    I hope it doesn't get too ridiculous :( 

3. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    IMO over priced TFs made the MSRP go up on GI Joes. I was buying 25th Joes at Wal-Mart and Target early this year for less than $7.00 a piece and at the time TF Deluxes were $9.99. Then when the Deluxes jumped to $12 the Joes stayed the same. Then when the ROC toys come out they're way expensive and overpriced IMO. I just hope they're topped at $12 but I seriously think by this time next year they'll probably be at $15.

4. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I miss the days of deluxes for $7.77 :[

Ah well, at least I can get them under the MSRP now. *hugs discount*

5. masishadow

masishadow Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't know...If the MSRP keeps going up parents (which I assume are the largest purchasers of tfs) will be less willing to buy them or at least not as many. I don't see it popping up very quickly. I do wish scouts were cheaper than 8.50 though.

6. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The price of joes came up because of the ROC movie, not TF. TF prices went up because of the TF movies but that's because it's been underpriced for so long.

7. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    Actually knowadays TF's actually have a lot more than many other figures at the same price. You get a 5-6" figure that transforms and has decent articulation and once in a while an accessory or two that may not sound like alot for $12 but it's more than you can get from other toys at the same price. I find it pretty ridiculous 3.75" figures are $8 now. What happened to the times when you could get a Toybiz Marvel Legends figure which is 2" bigger, has tons of articulation, a comic or BAF piece and other accessories :( 

8. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    It sucks but that's why from now on, I'm waiting for sales.

9. TIE Bomber

TIE Bomber Banned

I already quit collecting because it's too damn expensive. Not just the toys, gas is too expensive to be wasting on stores that never restock. And online there's the ridiculous shipping prices (I'm looking at you BBTS!).

When the fun is gone, I'm gone!

10. masishadow

News Credits:
    I've got ~$400 in my BBTS Pile-o-Loot and the shipping's about $25 for it. Not too bad considering the volume of what's in there.

11. starscream-99

News Credits:
    yep. the only thing that comes close to that is DCUC, but they come with wha 3 acc. tops, and impossible to find. I don't even think TMNT figures come with as many acc. as they once did.

12. starscream-99

News Credits:
    I honestly didn't think joes were under priced. They are over priced now.

13. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You guys do realize the price of like EVERYTHING has gone up in the last two years right? not just your joes and transformers. People need to get over what their money got them in the past. You guys sound like my grandpa complaining milk used to be a quarter. Now its $3.00 oh well

14. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Agreed. In the last few years production cost has risen causing the price increase in almost anything we buy. Joes and TFs are no exception. But one thing that I find funny is that $7.77 holiday sale that lasted 2-3 months. People act like it was always that price. And when it ended in Feb, some people act like it was the good old days.

15. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Indeed. Complaints about BBTS shipping prices are pretty baseless.

16. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Deluxe Transformers have been 10 bucks for well over a decade and G.I. Joes have been 6-7 bucks for about just as long. Recently, in the past year or so, due to increases in production costs due to oil price hikes and safety test increases, prices for these figures have finally rises 1-2 bucks, moreso for the bigger guys. If you ever bought a deluxe transformer for $7.77, it's because it was on sale, because a new, MSRP priced Transformer was never that cheap. Hell, just two weeks ago G.I. Joe figures were on sale 2 for 10, meaning 5 bucks each, cheaper then a new figure back in the 80s. This is the first major price hike on these figures in over a decade (Beast War deluxes were always 10 bucks) and it will be the only one we see for a long time.

And while you may think that things like electronics and mechanical gimmicks are "worthless", in reality they're fairly expensive and kids (the main target for these toy lines) seem to enjoy them. The voice of Peter Cullen (or a damn good impression) coming out of my Leader movie Prime while he makes the classic transformation sound is totally worth the extra costs to me.

I can completely agree about BBTS's shipping prices, they're more then fair and definitely a value in the long run. The only problem I have with BBTS is the initial mark-up on the price of new figures, selling things based on popularity and often doubling prices for some of the more desired new figures. But they make up for it on price cuts when things sit in the shop for a while so it balances out for the patient.

17. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    May be biased, but considering the engineering that goes into them, i do think G.I.Joe toys are expensive compared to TFs.

Compare the Steeel Crusher, and Voyager Starscream.
    Starscream has some fairly intricate engineering in it. The Steel Crusher on the other hand, is basically a plastic box with bits stuck on it, yet the Steel Crusher costs another $3.00.

One possible conclusion is that Hasbro see TFs as having greater economies of scale due to the popularity of the line worldwide, and maybe they see G.I.Joe as having more of a niche 'collector market'

As for price increases, toys have steadily gone up in price in a lot of international markets almost ever year for the last decade. We've basically been paying the price of Wal-Mart's refusal to pay more than a certain amount for a case of toys.

18. starscream-99

News Credits:
    I understand just that a couple months ago I bought a 25th joe at WM for $6 and change and now theyre over $8, but now that I think of it $6 for a 25th joe was a good price since it only came with a couple of accesories and the ROC ones come with a little more and tha huge projectile launcher. I withdraw my comment on ROC figures being overpriced.

19. masishadow

News Credits:
    Store items are not overpriced, I don't care about a dollar or two. But that MP Grimlock X comics version for near $240, is overpriced, yet I'm still buying it. I'm buying that because I love Grimlock. If it's worth it to you, the price doesn't matter (especially a few bucks.) If I was looking at it from a completionist's point of view that gets everything out of big box stores or as someone who's just scraping by trying to collect tfs, hell yes I'd be upset over a few bucks.

I'm not making big bucks as a college students, but I work extra shifts at my job to make sure I can take care of myself and still buy whatever I want, be it food, tfs, video games, stuff for girlfriend, etc. When Dairy Queen raised the price of its ice cream due to minimum wage, noone bitched, or went, "Oh I remember when ice cream was $0.15 cheaper." People understood it and moved on.

Another example is the TFA Jazz and Soundwave repaint from BBTS. Yes, I'm paying 35.99 + shipping for two deluxes. Did I hesitate to do that? No, because my Wal-mart is horrible about stocking new waves and the good stuff disappears quickly. I'm paying (in my mind) for the guarantee that I'm getting those two figures without any trouble.

So, go with whatever value YOU assign to the product. If you don't think a deluxe is worth $12...then don't buy it.

20. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    But the Steel Crusher also includes a driver figure, though stripped of most accessories, the figure alone would probably retail for at least $5.

As far as the comparison of engineering, I don't know how much of a factor that is to the costs. The bits of info Hasbro actually says about costs are all about the cost of the mass of plastic used. Does the Steel Crusher have a larger mass of plastic than Starscream? Well, then it probably costs more.

I would think the tremendous amount of extra engineering in TF figures would make them cost more, but maybe not... engineering is basically a one-time cost for any mold/toys, whereas plastic is a cost for every single toy.