MSNBC's Stuart Levine on Transformers and other Summer films

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Phorpus, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Phorpus

Phorpus RHco.

Stuart Levine has composed his list of what he expects to be the top ten grossing films this summer with Transformers taking #6:

For the rest of the list:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18234208/

2. Cory Bauer

Cory Bauer Well-Known Member

He fails.

Evan Almighty to rake in over double what Bruce Almighty did? $20m more than his Transformers prediction? Transformers only playing to fanboys?

Yep; he fails.

3. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Ya I was about to say Evan Almighty outperforming TF's :inquisiti 

4. Bumble Prime

Bumble Prime all the time

people tend to forget.......transformers fanboy = every male who was 5 yrs to 12 yrs at any point in the 80's

5. Cory Bauer

Plus the kid's who grew up with Beast Wars.

The kids who grew up with RID/Armada have got to be getting close to 13 now as well, eh?

Plus anyone who's a fan of action flims, sci-films, or effects-heavy films.

Plus anyone who's a car buff or military buff.

Plus anyone who's tired of sequels.

6. Phorpus

Phorpus RHco.

Actually maybe around 17 since everybody I knew got into RID during middle school. But there are also just some people who think the concept is stupid and don't watch the show outright, making it irrelevant what show was on when.

7. Simian

Simian Biscuits and Gravy....???

News Credits:
    Stuart who....?????

8. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I liked "The Island" and hated all of Bay's other movies. Go figure.

9. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
    Yeah I thought The Island was always considered the "good one"

10. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    well dont forget, nowadays a good movie means " we make lots of money".

even if it sucks hardcore [examples? please. the list is far too long :p ]

i really liked The Island myself. I think part of the reason it bombed was cuz i never heard about it until it was about to come out to DVD. seemed to me it didnt get much publicity. or at least as much as it should have

i think TFs will do fine

its shooting for a very broad audience and i think it'll catch. and itll be getting publicity up the wazoo

11. turk128

turk128 Well-Known Member

Any of the recent Eddie Murphy flics and all Wayne brothers flics.

I would also toss in Shrek but it's not terrible just horribly over-rated.

And this is cominf from MSNBC after all, we should all ignore it.

12. Cory Bauer

Speaking of Shrek, were people really clamoring for a 3rd installment?

I felt like Shrek had run it's course. But I guess the last one made $440m domestically. Hmm.

13. monosierra

monosierra Well-Known Member

Hi, newbie here.

I'm not a Transformers fan - Evangelion is my favourite mecha anime - but even I'm totally worked up about the Transformers film. Levine seems to have forgotten that Spielberg is on board - I'm sure Spielberg is giving Bay tips on how to craft a proper blockbuster rather than a simple blow-'em-up.

In any case, even my friends who have scarcely heard of TF are very interested in the idea of giant robots slugging it out. The trailer enticed Oohs and Aahs aplenty.

I predict TF to be the dark horse of 07. Spiderman 3 will be a slight box office disappointment, though it'll definitely rake in 600 million +. POTC:AWE will be a smash, but I reckon the rather poor DMC will drag this on's box office below 1 bn. Shrek is a solid family favourite so I guess it'll do very well too. HP is a

TF will do very well in the Japanese market, given the Jap's fascination with giant robots. Hasbro shares are already up due to anticipation of Spiderman toys. I bet the TF toys will send even more.

Can't wait til 747.

14. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    aye

ive never been a fan of shrek myself

its just not that funny [or at least not as funny as everybody makes it out to be]

15. Cory Bauer

Welcome to the boards! :thumb 

You speak much sense in your predictions; why aren't you working for MSNBC instead of this Stewart Levine character :p 

I am glad the Transformers trailers have you and you non-fan friends interested; I think that bodes well :) 

16. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Really his predictions aren't that crazy. I would put Evan Almighty and maybe Potter / Shrek a bit lower.

17. monosierra

monosierra Well-Known Member

Evan Almighty had an awful trailer. It just looked like a series of rather lame animal gags. Bruce Almighty was one hell of a great idea. Will it work the second time round?

The main concern abt TF is that its appeal will be limited to, well, TF fans, to the exclusion of others. Let's not forget that Bay himself initially balked at the idea of making a cartoon movie til Spielberg convinced him otherwise.

I do remember the TF TV spots getting more hits than the Spiderman trailers online. I've read the script and thought it was pretty solid material, besides some obvious product placements (Yahoo! for one). It'd be great fun - I trust Bay with explosions and massive scenes and Spielberg for his entertainment pomp.

IIRC, TF opens on a relatively quiet week. The Really Big Movies have mostly been released by then. HP comes a week after TF I think, so TF needs to open big to make an impact. I think it will. If its box office doesn't plummet too mich in the second week, it'd stand a great chance of being a smash. Look at 300. It dropped in week 2 but is still lingering in the top 10 and its just breached 400 mil worldwide. TF's target: 500m+ will be excellent, though on the lower end of the scale.

18. prime is a legend

prime is a legend Hooch is crazy.

The guy who wrote this article sucks. how the hell is Evan Almighty going to beat Transformers, i just can't see it happening. The only reason the first one did well was because there was no competition around at the same time.

I also think Spiderman 3 will beat Pirates of the carribean. more people I speak to seem to be more hyped about it than pirates. plus since the second pirates sucked i think it might damage its overall box office takings.

19. turk128

turk128 Well-Known Member

Unforunately, it's still appealing to mainstream audiences. It's the champion of 'family' movies. It also the template for so many 3D kids flics these days; studios seem to have given up on trying to reach for the stars (i.e. Pixar) so they are going for the lowest common denominator (Shrek).

20. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

THE ISLAND is bad???

Well, in light of the "entitled to his opinion" responses that my angrily bubbling retorts would quite rightly deserve, I'll shut my mouth right now rather than say something I'll regret.

I can add that I believe THE ISLAND failed because it's impossible to market without giving away the central idea of the two main characters being clones. I saw the trailer, perked up at Micheal Bay's name but wondered what the film was actually about beyond being a generic action/chase movie.