MS Toys MS-01 (MP Optimus Prime)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Cheem The Rup, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Each to their own.
    I still really dig MP-10 and it's pretty much a perfect Optimus Prime when viewed in the context of MP-08 through to about MP-26. It's only since they changed the direction of the line to go super toon accurate that it's starting to stand out a little. Honestly? I think Sideswipe and the Datsuns are showing their age WAY more than MP-10. The standard version of MP-10 is a little off next to MP-36, but I have him in full gold chrome as well as a cell-shaded paint job and EVA purple and the alterntae deco's really makes him pop and he looks great with chrome and cell shaded Meg's.

I'm interested to see the new V3 but it's got some major flaws baked into the concept from the start, no matter what the final product is like.
    It's going to be really gappy and panel-lined (which I'm hoping they can get away with if the paint and colours are good)
    But its also going to be insanely expensive, it's going to have a bunch of voice gimmicks that won't use English language clips, it still won't have proper hand articulation, there's a pretty beefy backpack thanks to the aforementioned audio gimmick, and it's honestly 50/50 at this point as to how durable the paint finish will be.
    I still think it has the potential to be a worthy replacement for MP-10, but if it's RRP is less than US$350 I'll be gobsmacked (and yes, there are discounts for pre-orders but they aren't available to everyone - Amazon Japan is blocked to Australians and I have to pay an additional 10% GST which eats up a chunk of the discount. I'm currently on the hook for US$236 for MP-43 and that doesn;t inlude GST or shipping so I'm expecting it to get close to US$280/290 by the time I have it in hand. I expect V3 Prime to be even more than that given the trailer)

MS-01 and the TE Prime are both super interesting and worthy of notice. Sadly (for my wallet) I'll probably be getting them all. I also desperately hope that we see at least one more MP Megatron offering, though I feel the rapid KO of MP-36 has killed much chance of that.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Mormolyce

Mormolyce Throbbing Member

IMO the mould most showing its age is the MP-11. It was kind of out of date even when it came out - being a revamp of MP-03 it was really halfway between the MP-01 and MP-10 eras.

I also feel like (don't hurt me) Soundwave could use a re-release.

Personally I'm still over the moon with my MP-10, sure he's a bit dated in some ways but he's the jewel of my collection to this day. But I'll almost certainly wind up getting some of these new Primes too...

• Like Like x 1
  3. LoserBroadside

LoserBroadside Your ship just came in.

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    My big issue with all of the MP Primes, and indeed many of the third party ones, is that they all treat the truck mode as an afterthought. MP-01 didn't have proper side windows, MP-10 has the back fifth-wheel section WAY too high up. Most Prime toys, from every line, get real lazy about the robot mode toes. The best truck-cab Prime in recent memory is, of all things, Reveal The Shield G2-based Prime. That one NAILS the truck mode without resorting to cheats in robot mode. I wish we'd get an MP Prime that at least approached the leg/foot transformation similarly.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RodimusSupreme

RodimusSupreme Autobot Leader and Combiner

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    I’d like someone else to try Lost Light’s Autobot Megatron.

5. Starganderfish

News Credits:
    In MP Scale? Because MMC's Tyrantron is great, though only a Voyager.

• Like Like x 1
  6. DrCalligari

DrCalligari Well-Known Member

Me too, the MMC effort doesn't cut it for me. Those damn monkey arms...

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ruizu1990

Ruizu1990 I'm a girl, not a boy.

News Credits:
    a big, damp, foggy island nor-noreast of Ushant
    Ebay:
    I wonder what else we're going to see in this line :) 

• Like Like x 2
  8. Fulano de Tal

Fulano de Tal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    [QUOTE = "Ruizu1990, post: 16209527, miembro: 112741"] Me pregunto qué más vamos a ver en esta línea :) [/ QUOTE]
    Autobots car, please

• Like Like x 1
  9. RodimusSupreme

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Eh, MMC’s Tyrantron doesn’t really do it for me. Mainly because they went ahead and gave him an alternate mode before we even knew what his alternate mode looked like, and somehow decided that all those tank tracks on his body were part of a jet mode…

I’d like to see GCreation take a shot at that design. They already are planning a Stealth Bomber Megatron (hopefully that’s not dead in the water like Toyworld’s attempt), and I’d bet an Autobot Megatron from them would look pretty dang cool. For CHUG, seeing as how Planet X is dipping their toes into IDW designs now, I bet they could do a nice figure of that Megatron. Somebody just needs to give that design the same symbol swapping gimmick that Animated Shockwave/Longarm uses.

10. PurpleAndBlackSmokeStacks

PurpleAndBlackSmokeStacks Well-Known Member

Pretty cool figure. Just joined a little while ago, so I am just seeing this.

• Like Like x 4
  11. boomerdave

boomerdave Well-Known Member

It's a nice competitor to the official TT one. I like the two 3rd party ones honestly because they're going to be more affordable (TT MP's pricing is insane lately IMO) and they looks less panel filled and gappy than the official at this time.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am impressed with this. I still love MP 01 and MP 10, and I think MPP 10 is pretty much the perfect figure of Prime since it fixes the proportions and just looks amazing. That being said, it seems like the new goal is to go totally cartoon accurate. The recent Takara trend is to make that happen no matter how many panels it takes or if the proportions are wonky thanks to the nature of the cartoon character models. This one seems to take a much cleaner approach, having far less panels and proportions that work really well for a physical thing. I am on board with this as long as the materials and build quality are good.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Starganderfish

News Credits:
    I kind of agree with this. MMC's is cool but I haven't actually bothered to transform it. It's not a huge issue for me because alt modes where never a big thing for the MTMTE characters.

I do kind of dig the idea of another MP IDW Megatron except for one problem.

I already have GCreations Prime and am waiting with barely concealed impatience for their Stealth Bomber Megs to pair with it.

If someone comes out with another MP IDW Megatron… I then need another IDW MP Prime to pair with it. But Autobot Megatron is kind of more associated with Rodimus. And I don’t collect Rodimus so have no interest in an MP scale IDW Rodimus.

And while Megatron went through so many different bodies, Optimus was a lot more stable.

I think the matching Prime for an Autobot Meg’s is pretty much the same design as GC’s? So I’d end up with two versions of that Optimus on my shelf at roughly the same size. Paired with entirely different Megatrons. I could always get Gen Toys IDW Prime but the differences from GCreations aren’t that extensive.

These are the issues when you try and limit a collection to just two characters (Optimus and Megs).
    At least with MS-01, I feel confident it could pair well with say MT Despotron. Unfortunately whenver a new Megs or Prime comes out, I need to know there's a match for him.

• Like Like x 1
  14. RodimusSupreme

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Honestly, I hate Rodimus’ IDW design. It’s WAY too stylized. Like, everyone likes to make fun of the Movieverse designs being spikey, but have they SEEN IDW Rodimus? And I’m not talking about his design when IDW was taking cues from the Movieverse for designs, I mean currently. Yeesh.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Pichomp

Pichomp Well-Known Member

I hope that was mis-transformed. The hips (weird angle) and lower back (huge gap) need to be addressed.
    F5AC32D6-B0DC-4568-98E8-64834F509150.jpeg
    And everything seems really loose.
    Hoping they fix this before release. Otherwise, it looks really good.

16. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:

they are shwing off the ab crunch and also have it in the thrusting pose at the same time so its going to look weird from the back... you actually see them putting it in this pose during the video

• Like Like x 6
  17. Pichomp

Pichomp Well-Known Member

You get distracted two seconds and look at what you miss. I guess I need to watch it again.

• Like Like x 3
  18. luckyman76

luckyman76 Well-Known Member

That stupid excessive pelvic thrust breaks the sculpt and confuses what the figure really looks like from a balanced position. People can do whatever they want with their figures but if a figure cannot be displayed standing in a normal position what's the point. To me the strength of this mold and why I want the figure so much is how awesome it looks in a plain upright stance. If QC and back heaviness issues are resolved this is easily the best looking Prime to me with Transform Element next. Prime v3 just looks to segmented and has bad proportions in the torso like v2 Megs. I have MT Despotron so I think this figure matches up perfectly with that one.

19. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    They are obsessed with the pelvic thrust, they like to show it off on all their legends figures. They showed it off so often in the sideswipe pics, some people were wondering if it could stand straight.

• Like Like x 4
  20. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Pelvic thrust makes for a great action shooting pose or for a fighting stance pose

• Like Like x 3