MS talks HD-DVD add-on price.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Boardwise, May 16, 2006.

1. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This little bit of news seems to have slipped under the wire since everyone is so content trying to pick Sony to bits and anticipating grabbing the Nintendo Wang to wave it about the room.

Source

I liked this bit:
    I think buying France is still cheaper than a PS3, but hey, this isn't about that. It's about the HD-DVD coming for the 360. So keep it on that.

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I hope it's not a Sega CD Mk.II

3. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

Whats the point of an hd-dvd add on anyways? At no point in time will 360 games be developed for the new drives so its like whats the point?

4. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

well HD DVD movies.....thats all

5. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Is it true they aren't deveoping games that will use the drive? EVER?

Seems awfully nice of them to give you the choice to upgrade.

So, if Blu-ray becomes the standard, what are the chances of MS making a blu-ray drive?

6. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I think it is a safe move by MS. make it an add on in case it fails. If blu-ray fails, Sony will be hurtin a little more since it is internal

7. angeltread

angeltread TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    i believe the point is simply to release a player that uses the competing format to sony's, at least AT THIS POINT. many thanks to them for doing it as an add-on since some, like me, don't give a f*ck. either way, it's a no-lose situation. if hddvd loses the format war, who cares? i'm pretty sure MS's vision of the future of gaming is one without media anyway.

8. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'll be buying one. I'm very interested in the HD/BR DVD market but I'm not ready to shell out $500 for the HD and upwards of $1000 for the BR player. $150-200 is definitely more my speed.

9. Superman_Alpha

Superman_Alpha TF: Animated FTW!!!

Cheap(ish) HD-DVD Movie playback. it's like adding a deck to your stereo. You don't NEED it for the device to function, but if you want it, there it is.

10. Vialli

Vialli Fantastic

I'll be getting one anyway. That is all.

11. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

No one needs to buy France. They'll surrender, free of charge.

12. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I might get one in time once I have a 360 and all but I’m still uneasy about investing in HD-DVD or Blu-ray until one of them is dead and gone. I don’t want to be “that guy with the beta max”.

13. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This appears to be a common and a valid concern. But how long are people willing to wait to find out who wins this "format war"? According to this website, it took the VHS almost 13 years to kill Betamax.

http://aroundcny.com/technofile/texts/howbetadied.htm

By then, we'll be well into the lifecycle of the PS5.

14. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

From what I've found, VHS came out in 1976, and by 1985 the format war was pretty well over. So figure it took less than 9 years for VHS to emerge the clear victor, but Beta too stubborn to let go.

Here' what I figure.

By making the HD drive an inessential add on, MS has nothing to fear. No one has to buy it if they are not interested, and those who are get a decent deal. If HD takes off, it won't cost much for people to get the add on (though by then, the actual players may be much more reasonably priced). But if the format goes belly up, most consumers haven't lost a thing.

Sony, on the other hand, is at the mercy of Blue Ray. If the format goes down, they are left with an overpriced machine with a useless function.

15. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Even before 85’ I remember going into video stores and there would be the one wall for Beta and the rest of the store for VHS. Later it was a shelf, making it clear that despite still being around it wasn’t what all the cool kids had… Sort of like Mac games at game stores.

I only ever knew one person that had Beta and even years after beta was long dead he still had it and if you even acknowledged it was there he would going into his little speech about how much better then VHS it is and it’s a damn shame the rest of us missed the boat and he was going to use it until it broke and bla-bla-bla-bla-bla.

I just think it’s to soon for the next gen disk player. DVD isn’t really that old, and the first few years it was out most people didn’t have it. It was just about 5-6 years ago that people really started getting them and now pwoplw are being told they need this new thing, To soon I tells ya, to soon. As it has been posted tape started in the mid 70’s, that’s a good run, people where ready for new. I know one person that just got her first DVD player two years ago... I gave it to her.