2D Artwork: Ms. Stellite the Truck - drawings,photos,bio,story

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Autobus Prime, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

Folks:

This is a bit decompressed, so bear with me. :D 

Over on the funnies forum, I've got a comic starring my take on ROTF Sideswipe, and at one point I needed a photo of his old flame Stellite, before she met her untimely demise in an air raid.

Now, Stellite is a fancharacter, and no figure existed. Bit of a tall order for a photocomic! So I photoshopped one from truck parts and an image of an Kouryuu figure (from Gao Gai Gar Final):

[​IMG]

Worked well enough for the purpose...until the time came when the late Stellite had to come into the story. What to do?

What I did was combine 2d artwork and toy-photos, taken on my usual sets:

[​IMG]

I photographed the scenes with a Microman figure standing in for Stellite. Then I printed these out in pale blue:

[​IMG]

I then drew Stellite on the blue-line image, scanned it, and removed the blue:

[​IMG]

Then I added the line-art to the original images, and did whatever photo-editing was needed:

[​IMG]

This helped the interactions look convincing, and as a nice side effect, Stellite casts shadows. :D 

You can go here and see more examples:

B.R.T. Chapter 8, Number 5, and following eps

So that's how the art happened. For plot reasons, I tried to follow the photoshopped design relatively closely. Engineering was secondary, but I do have a general idea how her transformation works.

Now for a few words on Stellite the character.

Stellite was a civilian archaeologist, affiliated with neither Autobots nor Decepticons, working in a university in the Stanix region. She was highly intelligent, with a cheerfully sarcastic manner, with a great respect for knowledge, and none at all for the-morons-in-charge. Note the left-hand salute. :D 

She transforms into a 1-ton truck with dual rear wheels and the biggest engine available...a pink 1-ton truck, plastered with bumper stickers that say things like "THINK" and "STOP INDIANA JONES".

The name comes from automotive engineering. It's a hard-wearing alloy. Sounds all sparkly, cuts through anything.

She's also dead. War is hell, eh? :( 

Edit: Corrected name of figure used in original photo-edit. Thanks, Blitz! :D 

Attached Files:

2. AutoCon2076

AutoCon2076 Brightest can in toolshed

Well, it works. Good job - the pink gives off that 'energon ghost' vibe. However the black makes it look like she's solid. Is there anyway you could make it translucent, or maybe even remove it all-together?

~Z

3. Autobus Prime

AC2076:

Thanks!

I could have made it translucent really easily - I did the photo-editing using GImp, and the black is its own layer. I didn't do it, because I wanted her to look solid. :D 

4. Coolhand

Coolhand Spiff's Stunt Double

Ah, so THAT's how you did it. A lot of work has clearly gone into that effect, but the results are fantastic. :thumbs2: 

5. Strarf

Strarf Crystal Convoy no more TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That's really cool, it reminds me that I still have to read your comic too.

6. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    Ah...the creation of Stellite....great use of the stand in prop for her. :thumb 

7. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    reminds me of the girl combines team from GGG final

8. Autobus Prime

CH, TC, O2P9: Thanks!

B:

Oops! You're right, it should. :eek:  Somehow I got some file names switched around, and the figure I started with for the original photoshop *was* one of those combiners you mention...Koryu, who turns into a pink maser-cannon truck. I've fixed the original post. Thanks for the heads-up. :D 

Edit: Went and watched GGGF, episode 1. I think they might be distant cousins or something. :D 

Stellite would have had the situation well under control before Enryu showed up, however. :D