MS cuts price of Xbox 360 in the US

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Boardwise, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Linky

Good news for those in the US that were thinking about getting a 360.
    I wonder if Europe will get a price cut, or will we be shafted as usual?

2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Considering the library of games that is a fucking great deal (the 199 one). I mean that is a steal. Yes, you don't get a hardrive, but then you can choose a larger one instead of being tied down to the crappy 20 gig one, like I did with the Halo Edition.

And if I were Nintendo, I'd keep the "You will buy them because there simply isn't enough of them" tactic going because I am going to stick to my prediction that the DS will remain strong but the Wii will lose Major steam when the Honeymoon is over and people realize that there are simply not enough games to warrant it, and that most of the games that are available are broken and gimmiky. I am as geeky as it gets, having owned every single system at least at one point (yes Jaguar, you too), and nothing entices me to buy this system except for the Arcade, and even that hasn't pushed me over, and that's because I have 300 bucks sitting there waiting for something to spend them on. I have met people who bought the system simply because they "luckily" found one, and it has been sitting there (unplayed) every since. As soon as the smoke clears, people will start selling them back for this new cheaper Xbox, or maybe a PS3, but unless Nintendo pulls something better out their ass, people will start selling the system back, but only after the "We simply can't make enough" wears out and people stop feeling like they are holding on to a gold mine.

For more information Watch the South Park where Cartman gets his own amusement park. The Amusment Park Sux, but since he bought the park for only himself, he keeps people out of it, so people want it even more and line up for Days just to get in. Nintendo is pulling a Cartman, and doing a hellova a job with it.

3. atlianz

atlianz TFW2005 Supporter

That would've been great for me when all of my friends just had Xbox 360. Most of them now have moved on to the PS3.

4. Master Megatron

Master Megatron Action Bastard

I will be picking up a Premium tomorrow.

5. Max-prime

Max-prime Supreme-Commander

News Credits:
    might get an elite at that price and get rid of my crappy prem.

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You know, in all honesty, I wouldn't actually mind picking up a second Xbox for my room at 200 bucks. Price drops are cool.

7. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

And now once I add a HDD and Wifi to the cheapest model its only $400!!:rolleyes2 

Common Microsoft. Pretty much all I want are games from XBLA. :(  It needs to be cheaper for me to jump on board.

8. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    my entire house uses a wireless network. I don't like cables running everywhere. if the $130 DS can have built-in Wifi, then there's no excuse for the 360 not to do it.

and I will not consider owning one until it has Wifi built in, that doesnt effect the price. it is the only current gen system that doesnt have it, including the handhelds. it's quite pathetic.

9. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ok yeah, I do agree with that. My 360 is the only thing in my home that still has a wire coming out of it (well for internet anyway), but honestly a wireless modem is not worth 100 bucks, but MS sells their only option for 100 bucks, so why would they want to put it in the box?

10. Master Megatron

I do believe you can use a regular Xbox wireless adapter. Much cheaper alternative.

11. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

Whoa, talk about timing. I hope there's a price drop in Canada as well.

12. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    That's pretty damn cheap.

13. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

$199 at Future Shop starting today.

14. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I still wouldn't buy the 360 Arcade, even at that price. Some games are starting to require HDD's to even play them (Burnout Paradise). At least spend the extra $50 to get one with a HDD. At that price it's worth it.

15. Master Megatron

I think Kotaku said hdds are going down too.

16. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    It's actually $50 cheaper to buy an arcade and the 120 gig hard drive than it is to buy an "elite"...so $50 for a black casing?

17. Master Megatron

I'm enjoying some Bioshock as we speak. :D 

18. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

I was thinking the same thing too but the elite has extras that the arcade doesn't.

The Elite comes with a Headset, Component cables, an HDMI cable and the optical audio dongle. The HDMI set is $50 and the component cables are $40 seperatley. The arcade has the memory card, which wouldn't be needed with an HDD unless you're transfering your profile around, and composite AV cables.

The 20gig HDD is on clearance at most Targets, Last I seen it was $68ish. The 120gig HDD dropped to $150. The 60gig is due soon and includes a headset and 3 months of Xbox Live Gold for $100.

19. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    Yeah, but my TV doesn't have any HDMI ports that aren't in use (Sorry MS, but the system with Blu Ray gets that port :p  )...I tried my brother-in-laws headset and after listening to that much of kids swearing and making general asses out of themselves I think I'll do just fine without hearing anybody...

Plus I can get a used 120g HD for under $100 with an employee discount and can probably score the component cables that way as well :) 

20. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

I'm thinking hard about a 360, possibly the arcade version. Especially since it has a memory card (and most game saves aren't that large that you would need GB's IMO) and the controller is wireless.

I apparently had wrote this version off after the corded controller that was in the older "Core" pack...