MS closes mod site..bungie supported mod?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by kronos, Sep 10, 2006.

1. kronos

kronos PSN = KRONOSX1

News Credits:
    There was this ambitious mod thats been 3 years in the making for C&C Generals. It was called HaloGen. Bungie even openly supported it from the get go. Well, looks like MicroSatan decided to step in and close it. This is really messed up that BOTH companies would support this mod for 3 years and then suddenly close it. I feel for the developers of the mod. I mean so much work went into it. If your interested in the mod, check out http://halogen.slipstreamproductions.net/

this is a real shame really!

2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Well I guess we now know where the franchise is headed.

3. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It was copyright infringement. And my guess is that Microsoft owns the copyright, not Bungie. So it matters not what Bungie does.

4. McBradders

Seeing as Halo started out as an RTS, I don't see why they wouldn't return to it's roots for a continuation of the story.

5. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

I'll never understand why a company puts a stop to something that helps their product out. Modding is a huge community.

Hell, do you know why I bought Battlefield 1942? Not because it was a superb game. No. Because someone out there was working on a KILLER GI Joe mod for the game. I played the beta of the mod, it was fantastic. But Hasbro came along and said "no! You can not have video games based on your favorite franchise ever!!! MUHWAAHAHAHAA"

Modding has only helped some games too. Look at KOTOR 2 for instance. There's mod teams out there putting back in the missing content.

6. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's one of those age old problems. You can't create something based on someone elses intellectual property regardless of the fact that said person was never going to create what you were making. Funny, huh?

7. kronos

kronos PSN = KRONOSX1

News Credits:
    thats why i love the c&c community. they embrace the modding community. hell, the old C7C renegade team is releasing a NEW SDK for the game how mand years later! All modding does is gimes games added life as well as free advertisement or the games they are based off of! Its all about money and the perception that thease modders get it! When they actually do the mods for free for fun and in their spare time.

quick question, dont infringemtnt only involve when you use anothers property to make money withour there permission?

8. DevilzFan

Yeah, I know the companies are protecting their properties. I understand it. I just hate it sometimes. :( 

9. DevilzFan

No, I'm pretty sure it's any use of their property without permission. Moneymaking or not.

10. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I can't even begin to imagine how hideous RTS control would be with a Joypad, assuming the 360 would be the destination for such a thing.

11. McBradders

Hehe fact! But a Vista version would rule the school!

12. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

I hate it when companys do shit like this. If they are not going to use the copyright to make an RTS, then they should just look the other way.

13. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

The way I see it is, unless you are actually planning to do something like the mod in question you should have no right to stop it's production as long as the producer doesn't charge money for it. There should be a "Camper Clause" in copyright law that allows freely produced dirivative work and pirate copies as long as the rights holder has no intention of actually using the work in question. This would cover old games like Warcraft 1, old TV shows without DVDs like X-Men, and mods. Hell, a smart company would allow a mod to exist to test the waters without wasting any money developing a failed spin-off. I somehow doubt that it was just coincidence that Battlefield: Vietnam and Battlefield 2: Modern Combat were released after modders proved that people wanted to play those games.

14. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

It is a pretty shitty move to support a mod and then shut it down. I wonder what their reasoning behind it is.

15. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

Most frivolous C&Ds are sent by bored legal teams that run out of people who need to be sued.

16. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

I dont think you understand. People were using Halo IP in a mod for another game that profits another company if it were a mod for halo or halo 2 I'm sure MS wouldn't have mind.