MRI

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scrapper6, May 31, 2012.

1. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

Last night I experienced my first session, a new life experience for me, hopefully the scans come out alright so I don't have to have a second one. However, now that I've experienced this for myself I have to wonder...

Wonder #1) Who else has gone in for an MRI in their life?

Wonder #2) It sure doesn't look that way on House or any other show where they involve this aspect of the medical profession that I've ever seen. On T-V they kind of seem to simplify the process, glamorize it even. Why T-V Lie To Me?!!

And no, as far as I know there is nothing seriously wrong with me, the scan in question is to determine why my arm has been experiencing pain, we're trying to rule out nerological causes before we go in other directions. As the Carpal Tunnel Syndrome test revealed nothing wrong with me so we're going one step further this time.

Personally, I think I did something to the muscles in my arms when I palm-slapped a large chunk of ice hanging off the gutters during the early days of spring thaw trying to bust it off. I could have damaged something somehow by doing that, it was a stupid thing to do. Iciles come off easily, large chunks of ice that are solid won't just come off because I slam it with the palm of my hand hard enough to jar teeth. *SIGH*

2. JazzHunter83

JazzHunter83 Mrs FatalT

MRIs are really horrible and especially bad for people who are claustrophobic. I had one during my pregnancy with my son because I had some myoclonus in my legs that were bothering me AND severe migraines. They obviously needed to rule out the prospect of anything nasty growing in my brain. Thankfully my MRI revealing nothing suspicious. I hated the experience though and my son hated the noise and kicked like a crazy person the whole time....I feel bad about it actually, it must have been so stressful for him :( 

3. Scrapper6

Damn, I had a hard enough time keeping myself perfectly still while it was doing it's thing, for 25 minutes! Trust me for me that's not easy. I can't imagine having to experience that horrible noise with your eyes shut and locked in to a bunch of equipment you don't even get to see before they stick it on you While Pregnant! Of course I'm a guy, so... Yeah, never going to experience that particular development.

On the bright side, perhaps the memory of experiencing it from the womb will mean should he ever have to experience it outside of the womb he won't be too unnerved by it.

I can say this much though, I think I know what it means to be anxious enough to feel that tightness in your chest, all the muscles were so tight I was still feeling twinges this morning when I woke up.

4. JazzHunter83

JazzHunter83 Mrs FatalT

Oh, I totally agree! I'm not even claustrophobic as a general rule.

Yeah, being pregnant was hard, especially as I had to lay perfectly still on my back so Josh was pressing on my vena cava (huge vein) and that made me feel so lightheaded and nauseous.

5. Sky Ray

Sky Ray Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I did my first MRI after I got into a car crash several years ago. I was suffering from headaches and vision loss so I got sent to do MRI to diagnose for problems in my brain.
    I was quite nervous as I am claustrophobic, but the technican was very kind and guided me through the whole process. Since I was only scanning my brain, only my upper body was inserted in to the tube, which lessened the enclosement for me.
    I was stuck in there for about over 30 minutes, I did my best to keep myself amused and mentally distracted while in it. Heh, the really fun part about MRI is the loud noise generated that goes on forever that would make it challenging being in there, so I started to distract myself by trying to follow the rhythm of the noise and think of it as listening to techno music. Being still was equally tough, but I stayed mentally distracted by listening to the techno music and moving to the beat in my mind helped ease the discomfort. It wasn't too difficult being in there after imagining it all that way.
    After that was done, there was nothing wrong with my brain and I started to slowly recover afterwards on my own. One thing I'm curious about others that have done it, did anyone had eye twitching afterwards? One of my eyes became twitchy for awhile on and off for several weeks and then it went away.

6. BooyakaDragon

BooyakaDragon I Don't Even Know

News Credits:
    One thing I have learned about stressful situations, is to let your mind wonder off. It helps me when I'm emotional.

7. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Had one about a month ago. Hated it. I've never thought I was claustrophobic until then. Also hated how loud it was.

8. Scrapper6

Nope, no eye twitching. I was a little concerned at the blood on the earplugs that came out, but I figured that was caused by pressure being released IE Popping when I swallowed, despite being told to try and tone it down. Difficult not to swallow when your throat and mouth are dry and you're covered in persperation from the nervousness.

Distracting my mind isn't easy when loud noises are involved, if a T-V has been left on, but the cable box is shut off I can still tell because I can hear the damn t-v's sound. The loud noise was annoyingly frustrating at first, coupled with the fact that I felt like I was being rocked back and forth on waves for the first five minutes, it wasn't until close to the end that I started thinking of Pokerface from Lady Gaga. Something about the repetitiveness of the noise almost sounded like the back-up singers.

I just turned 30, I can't imagine what a young child would feel going through such an ordeal.

9. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I've had one MRI-like scan done in my life and it was fucking miserable, but that's because I move around a lot and hate being confined around the face.

10. Sludge

Sludge Forged to Fight username: Roybot

News Credits:
    I had one when I was 18 to find a ruptured disc in my lower back. The only bad part about it for me was that I farted half way through it and gagged myself.

11. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    as a problem with tumors and cancer and stuff (on my ovaries) I've had to have many MRI's and and since it is my abdomen I have to go all the way in the tube so just my head and my arms above my head stick out. Having my arms above my head for that long really sucks.

12. GFH

GFH The G Squad

News Credits:
    MRI's absolutely suck. The first time I had one, the earplugs weren't in properly, and since they'd had to stick my head in the machine since they were looking for AVMs, I got the worst of the sound blasted straight into my ears. I had a raging headache. Then I started to feel the resonance from the machine on my belly and in my fingers. I had to push the panic button. They pulled me out and stuck in better earplugs, but it was pretty much to late by that point.

On my second MRI, I hadn't been able to eat anything beforehand as my teacher wouldn't let me go to the cafeteria because we were watching a presentation. I needed an IV for this MRI because they were looking for something else. After the technician inserted it, I went to get changed, and promptly collapsed on the bathroom floor. I then had to drag myself out of the bathroom, I wasn't feeling too awful, but I couldn't use my legs, so I just sat on the floor quietly until he noticed me. Another tech gave me a juicebox, then the two of them disconnected the bed from the MRI and lifted me into it. The MRI itself was alright, but the IV was friggen weird. My whole arm went cold when they started to pump in the dye fluid or whatever it was. I had to go back to school after, which wasn't fun.

13. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

I've had a couple MRI tests done.I actually found them to be quite relaxing,in fact,I fell asleep during one of them.

14. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've only had one, and it was on my legs so they didn't stick me all the way into the machine. Didn't take too long either, but man I wanted to fidget.

15. nobleboivin

nobleboivin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I tend to focus on other things when I've had MRI's. Although when I had mine some one gave me headphones and let me listen to some tunes

16. Sixshot

Sixshot Jeff Goldbluman Group

News Credits:
    I took a nap during mine. I'm not at all claustrophobic though.

17. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    The worst part of my three MRIs was when they had to inject the dye. Nothing fucks with me more than needles.

18. grindcore138

grindcore138 Handsome like an F-22

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I've had 4 MRI scans so far. First was in 2009 when I was in the process of getting diagnosed with Crohn's disease, I had to drink something like 2 and a half pints of barium solution before it and had an IV for the contrast dye so my small intestine would show up better on the scan.
    The second and third were without the barium or contrast, they were to check on my guts again and the status of an abscess.
    The fourth wasn't that long ago and was the same deal as the first one I had.

I was fine with all of them, just as well seeing as I'm in for one at least once every 2 years for the rest of my life.
    I always try to put a beat to the noises and inevitably get frustrated because they go out of time, it's like being trapped inside a bad dubstep song, haha.

19. UnicronHound

UnicronHound Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    MRIs are fun when you fall asleep during it. Had one a long while back, when I was around 12 or so. I kept having extremely bad back pains, so bad one time I collapse on the kitchen floor from it. Anyway, they put me in the machine and I started falling asleep, but everytime I started to snore it jerked me awake. They said all I needed was some physical therapy.

20. Scrapper6

I don't see how that's possible, for one thing you can't have any metal on you when they scan you, for another even if the headphones were made of plastic instead, your ears wouldn't be properly protected from the sounds of the machine, that's what the earplugs are for after all. And on top of that, how could you even hear anything while that machine is going on.

I call shenanigans on this, unless you're mixing up MRI with some other scan that was done.