Mr. T-Rex is Still King of the Dinosaurs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eagc7, Feb 5, 2011.

1. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movies Fan/Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
  2. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    ME Grimlock no scavenger me King!

3. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Still not king. Spinosaurus, Charcharodontosaurus, and Giganotosaurus are all bigger.

4. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    This is the debate that no one takes seriously, but that never ceases to get media coverage.

Jack Horner has pushed this line since at least the early nineties, but even he has never insisted that T.rex was 100% scavenger.

Anyway, even if T.rex was a scavenger, I don't see how that'd make him any less the king. T.rex didn't always have to do his own killing because there was no other animal to challenge him.

5. Bumblethumper

News Credits:
    Absolutely, there are other predatory dinosaurs that both reached and surpassed T.rex dimensions.

Mapusaurus is another one.

However, when you see some of these skeletons in person, it's pretty clear that T.rex was the most awesome.

6. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    The body design is literally just a giant killjaw on legs as powerful as possible. That doesn't really scream "scavenger" to me as much as "fast-strike predator"

7. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Are these people aware that lions prefer to get their meals by running jackals and hyenas off of their kills, rather than hunting for themselves?

Fact is, most predators will scavenge if the opportunity presents itself. It's a better use of resources.

I seriously doubt if the hunter vs scavenger debate is over yet.

8. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    I wish Tyrannosaurus was a clumsy ass that mooched off others' success, it would have given me someone to relate too.

9. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Is there even such a thing as "pure scavenger" or "pure hunter" when it comes to carnivores? Can they afford to specialize either way? Even vultures have been known to kill sometimes, and they have the huge advantage of flight.

It's a damn shame hyena and tyrannosaur alike are constantly being labeled 'scavenger.' And that scavenging is constantly depicted as a weak, worthless thing.

10. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

I remember a certain hadrosaur fossil found (Edmontosaurus I think it was or Anatotitan.) had healed fractures on the bony struts that ran the length of the tail, and the tooth marks made matched the ones of Tyrannosaurus.

I don't see how Tyrannosaurus could be considered a scavenger and other large therapods (Which were somewhat larger) could be considered hunters. Sure there are multiple differences between a Tyrannosaur and a carnosaur like Giganotosaurus, but they have the same basic body plan and were pretty heavy animals. Personally I don't put Giganotosaurus or any other therapod (With the exception of Spinosaurus) above Tyrannosaurus as being the largest carnivorous dinosaur and vice-versa. They all ranged from 40-45 feet in length and I wouldn't doubt it if there was a T.rex fossil hiding somewhere that exceeded Sue's length of 42 feet.

But damn, Giganotosaurus is a fucking beast! :D 
    [​IMG]

Anyone else read that article a while back about how dinosaurs were even larger than previously thought due to an extra thick layer of cartilage between their bones? Pretty cool. Would that add an extra meter or two to the length/height of each dinosaur?

11. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

Rexy, you're still the coolest. Regardless of what Jack Horner thinks. :D 

Well said.

12. ArmadaJetfire

ArmadaJetfire <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

They should go drop these guys off in the T-Rex enclosure at Jurrasic Park and let them get thier asses "scavenged." (If thats even a word. lol)

13. SpencimusPrime

SpencimusPrime _

News Credits:
    At least one fact that I learned in grade school remains relevant. Unlike pluto being a planet :( 

With that out of the way, My biology class actually watched a documentary about the evoloution of jaws. It explained that the main reason T-Rex was so deadly was because of the sheer power of it's jaw and teeth. Pretty interesting.

14. GWolfv2

GWolfv2 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As much as I firmly FIRMLY believe Tyrannosaurus was an active predator that fed on carrion when it could, this paper has caused a bit of a sh*tstorm in palaeontological circles. The animals used in the study to establish the biomass of carrion...well...quite a few of them went extinct 5-10 million years before Tyrannosaurus evolved.

So basically, the data relies on animals being alive when they...weren't

I still don't think T. rex is an obligate scavenger however. When you examine the arguments of people like Horner, they suggest some false assumptions.

And if anyone wants to ask any questions on this topic feel free. It's been a bit of an interest for many years now.

That's debatable. All three are longer and taller, but weight estimates for the last two suggest they may have weight a tonne or more less. This seems to be due to the build for T. rex being absolutely massive for the size of the animal. Spinosaurus was probably a tonne heavier, but unlike T. rex and the others, it was probably not an apex predator but probably a piscivore which supplemented its diet with carrion and smaller animals. It has been theorised that the reason it became so large was to fend Carcharodontosaurus off kill. But that's a bit up in the air, probably due to the fact fish are so high in protein. Plus there's other animals like Mapusaurus and Tyrannotitan approaching rex size which might have been heavier than Giganotosaurus.

And if anyone wants to ask any questions on this topic feel free. It's been a bit of an interest for many years now. Just no one ask me who would win in a fight...that is so redundant.

15. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, totally agree with you. As long as it gets to eat - I doubt it will pass up the opportunity to scavenge.

Yup, I believe after the "fight between Spiny and Rex" in Jurassuc Park 3, people were saying that Spiny actually lacked the power in its jaws to actually break a T-Rex's neck. Has that been proven?

16. Bumblethumper

News Credits:
    Agreed, there's few things more pitiful than an argument over 'which dino would win'. Epic levels of nerdrage and facepalm always seem to be warranted.

17. ArmadaJetfire

ArmadaJetfire <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

Scared your boy might lose? Chicken bwakbwakbwakbwak :p  J/k

18. GWolfv2

GWolfv2 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    While it has a vaguely crocodile appearance, Spinosaurus doesn't seemed to have had remarkable jaw strength, for its size. Nothing compared to T. rex anyway. Which makes sense, if it was focusing on smaller prey items and fish. You don't need powerful jaws, you just need to be able to hold and shake.

Also, had another flick through the paper. When measuring the percentage of dinos they include Velociraptor. An animal not only younger than T. rex but from Mongolia...oooh, that be a slip up.

19. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    T-Rex will always be the coolest to me.

Spinosaurus is damn cool too but Gigantosaurus sounds like a fucking Pokemon. Screw him :D