MPM Movie Studio Series vs TF toys Movieverse!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by RinAldo, Jan 17, 2018.

1. RinAldo

RinAldo Well-Known Member

Of course, with 3P masterpieces like Peru Kill UT, Firage AA (and other TF toys Movieverse in production), I can hardly define the MPM and Movie Studio Series "masterpieces"... especially if you evaluate some questionable design choices! From the official poster of MSS Megatron ROTF Voyager, I noticed this details in robot mode: the lower section of the leg is a piece of crawler discovered, and the foot is a section of crawler positioned horizontally... instead Megatron CGI, has the greave of the armor as a cover of the lower leg section, and the foot is formed by two sections of crawler arranged diagonally, forming a "V" reverse (plant and heel of the foot). The leg structure of the Voyager ROTF 2009 is the most correct. In alt mode, it lacks the characteristics four side blades of the CGI Cybertronian tank... the structure of the Voyager 2009 tank, for me, is the most complete and in line with the CGI tank, the only one also provided with the four side blades! Megatron ROTF Leader 2009, is only great in robot mode, especially with the 3P upgrade kits replacing the two arms... in tank mode, it is not correctly in line with the CGI tank: front tracks in horizontal position (instead of diagonally), hull structure too high, and without the four side blades. I wait for new photos of the robot and the tank, to evaluate other details that do not convince me! If this is the final project, then Hasbro/Takara has lost the opportunity to make a Megatron ROTF, more faithful to the CGI of the film, in both modes; at the moment for me, the best ROTF version produced so far is the Voyager 2009, where the structural aesthetics of robot and tank, provide an excellent compromise in comparison with the CGI of the film!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Lukelbs

Lukelbs Well-Known Member

The MPM line and Studio Series line are two separate lines.
    The MPM line is more for adult collectors with a higher price tag, while the Studio Series line is a mainline that will be available in most, if not all retail stores with toys. So the Megatron from the Studio Series is a mainline figure and not considered a Masterpeice Movie figure. My guess is the MPM Megatron will be far more accurate and be Leader Class sized, not Voyager.
    With that said, interesting comparisons. Well thought out and you made some good points.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    • Like Like x 9
  3. RinAldo

I apologize for the mistake... in fact there are two distinct lines: MPM (Takara), TF Movie Studio Series (Hasbro)! Thanks Lukelbs for the clarification... however, since I also have doubts about the MPM Takara... continues to post comparisons with TF toys Movieverse (doing more attention to writing the title, with the correct line)!

• Like Like x 2
  4. RinAldo

I can not correct the title of this thread, but anyway, I will continue to publish posts related to the TF Movie Studio Series line... for the MPM line I will do another thread!

• Like Like x 1
  5. RinAldo

Looking good this prototype, it is clear that has a completely different transformation from that of Grimlock AOE Leader 2014... based on this, I modified the photo by highlighting the parts of the dinosaur in different colors... in this way it is easier to get an idea of its transformation! The most curious detail is the lower jaw of the T-REX evident on the left forearm of the robot, which suggests that the arm bends forming the structure of the neck, placing the jaw forward (thanks to the evident structure on the left forearm), then join the two sections of the upper jaw (positioned above the shoulders of the robot) forming the head of the T-REX. The two armor shoulder straps of the robot have different shapes because it is likely that, while the left arm forms the head of the dinosaur, the right arm forms the tail (Scorn style), then the left shoulder straps forms the thoracic structure, and the right shoulder straps forms the lower back structure... it is also likely that the right arm forms only a part of the T-REX's tail, the other half may be the robot's stick (like the AOE Leader 2014)! The legs of the robot are the back paws of the T-REX, where behind the feet of the robot are evident the "three fingers"... that thanks to the ankle joint turn forward according to the mode. The robot's torso turns to the side for forming the bust of the T-REX, and the tassets cover the robot's thighs. Unlike the 2014 AOE Leader, Grimlock MSS has a spiked ball in place of the right hand (clear reference to the concept art design).

Attached Files:

6. RinAldo

The official model shown, gave me the opportunity to better analyze the details I had highlighted at the beginning of the thread (with the addition of new other interesting details), with the confirmation that the legs of Megatron MSS, are not correctly in line with the CGI of the film: in particular, the lower section of the legs that is formed by a small piece of track (without any covering) "parallel to the thighs"... which in addition to making the legs very short, makes it appear that the feet are attached underneath the knee... and that piece of hull positioned on the inner sides of the feet, gives it a much more clumsy look (the tracks of the lower section of the legs of the Megatron CGI, are partly covered by the greave, and the tracks of the feet are well exposed in an accentuated "V" reverse position... in all these details, the legs of the ROTF Voyager 2009 they are structurally and aesthetically more in line with the CGI of the film). Another detail that I do not like about Megatron MSS, is the right arm... in particular I do not agree with Hasbro's designers choice, to use a rotating joint as the base of the long blade... that with a rotation angle of more than 100°, in addition to "hiding it" in the right forearm in alt mode, it comes to touch the claw like a "crab claw"... but the right arm of the CGI is not a crab claw (even if it resembles), the side one is a long straight snap blade, with the function of "bayonet" of the cannon (detail correctly realized in the ROTF Voyager 2009, where the retractable blade moves in a straight line inside and outside the right forearm side, thanks to a internal mechanism). In alt mode, the MSS tank is more or less built on the line of Josh Nizzi's concept art, in particular due to the absence of the structure of the four side blades (perhaps due to a design choice not to keep them exposed in robot mode); instead, in the back you can see the most obvious differences, for example the two central boosters are missing, in their place are evident the left hand and the right cannon with the protruding claw (with the arms positioned under the turret of the tank). The two side/rear sections of the hull (where the two pairs of mini boosters are) are positioned much lower than the turret, and show a "squared, elongated and regular" hull structure... different from the "wide, ovoid and irregular" of the CGI tank hull and concept art (the ROTF Voyager 2009 tank is better made, precisely with these characteristics).

Attached Files:

7. RinAldo

It is interesting to note that models of the same class have different sizes (it is evident that the Hasbro designers in this new line, have opted out of a reference more focused on the different dimensions of the individual character CGI), in particular it is evident in a comparison picture between Optimus and Megatron Voyager Class, where the latter is more correct to call it an Ultra Class; in the picture it is also present Grimlock Leader, and evaluating the official dimensions, the actual measurement of the three TF are: Grimlock Leader Class 25 cm, Megatron Voyager/Ultra Class 21 cm, and Optimus Voyager 17 cm. Strascream has more or less the same sizes of Megatron, while it is interesting to note that Blackout Leader if measured from head to toe is as high as Starscream... those extra inches which makes it almost as tall as Grimlock Leader, it is only thanks to the helicopter rotor of his backpack. Even the Deluxe Class have undergone a variation of the dimensions, for example Stinger AOE is 13 cm high (in the average of the Deluxe Class from DOTM to TLK), instead Stinger MSS is 12 cm high!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  8. Lukelbs

It appears that in the Studio Series the size classes parameters is more of a price point than actual size.

9. RinAldo

The reason for the Hasbro's designers choice to use a similar transformation to that of Scorn for Grimlock Movie Studio Series, is due to the fact of preserving the almost perfect aesthetics of the toy robot (much more in line with the CGI of the film), instead for the AOE Leader 2014, structural simplifications were necessary (which compromised the aesthetics in some details), in order to use in a functional way the transformation of the CGI of the film. For example the tassets of the AOE Leader 2014, are simply "sculpted" between the pelvis and the thighs, so as to allow more freedom of movement at the corresponding joints, because the legs of the robot are transformed into the thoracic structure of the T-REX... instead the legs of the robot Movie Studio Series are also the legs of the dinosaur, so since its transformation does not require any particular movements it has been possible to realize tassets as separate components, aesthetically in line with the CGI of the film. Instead the T-REX Movie Studio Series, is not aesthetically perfect as the robot for a particular detail... "the tail"; there is the fact that it is almost impossible to transform the arm of a toy robot into a perfect dinosaur tail... for example Scorn as an arm has the tail of the Spinosaurus, so the fact is that there is a need of an aesthetic compromise for a single mode. The ugly aesthetic details of the T-REX Movie Studio Series, are evident in two perspectives: 1) lateral, where the spiked ball "breaks" the linear continuity of the tail, and the section of the tassets of the robot that does not blend well below the tail; 2) from above, where the two sections of the "fake head of the T-REX" are a little distant from the "arm" (because they are connected by two joints on the sides of the shoulder strap) forming a sort of "trident tail"! Instead a couple of details that could be remedied, are the two curved tips of the knees and the feet of the robot also evident in the T-REX mode (the T-REX CGI is devoid of both), could be equipped with a joint for make them foldable. The T-REX AOE Leader 2014, has the legs and tail structure more in line with the CGI (the latter perhaps a little too short), but its most obvious defect is the thoracic structure too long ( compromise necessary to avoid the legs court to the robot). In robot mode, Grimlock Movie Studio Series as the only weapon has the spiked ball in place of the right hand, instead the robot AOE Leader 2014, has two weapons: the stick and the shield (which become the tail and the lumbar section of the T-REX).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  10. lockout85

lockout85 Well-Known Member

leader class grimlock review

11. RinAldo

Grimlock MSS is already a very good model (without a doubt the best movie version made so far), but with the upgrade kit DK-06 it becomes almost perfect! The spiked ball of the film's CGI is not a fixed weapon... in TF4 Grimlock uses it only in combat with Optimus, while in other scenes you see the right hand; the upgrade kit DK-06 has two prehensile hands that replace the spiked ball and the fixed fist of the Leader MSS, and an additional spiked ball to be hooked to the end of the right forearm (and also to the end of the chain with a handle... a alternative weapon not used by the film Grimlock). Another weapon of the DK-06 is the mace (Grimlock weapon of the film), composed of a long lower section of the stick, and a detachable short section where the two "spiked structures" are hooked... also used to form the outer structure of the dinosaur neck (covering the fist and a part of the robot arm, highlighted in T-REX mode). Another component that improves the line of the dinosaur is a jointed tail, which replaces the arm/tail (unconvincing) of the original model; the latter is connected to the right arm of the DK-06, which replaces that of the MSS model.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  12. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

More like MPM (Hasbro/Takara) and Studio series (Hasbro/Takara). They have almost universally identical releases now.

13. RinAldo

Excellent idea this of the additional prehensile hands with wrist joint... but in my opinion, even the helicopter needs an additional panel that covers the empty space behind the tail!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Fretburn

Fretburn We need Instrument TFs

It's kind been like this for the better part of twenty years. The "size" classes are distinct price points, that's all. That's how you have things like Animated Deluxe Lockdown and Voyager Lugnut.

• Like Like x 1
  15. RinAldo

Now yes, that the T-REX MSS is perfect... (thanks to the DNA DK-06 upgrade kit)!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  16. RinAldo

Let's go directly to the list of Ironhide MSS details that I do not like: 1) the design error of the two sections of the front hood, which open horizontally forward... instead of upwards like the CGI of the film (the 2007 voyager is more correct in this detail) in this position makes the bust much bigger, and hides a part of the arms making them look shorter (detail accentuated by small hands). 2) The bumper is noticeable on the front, between the pelvis and the bust. 3) The narrow basin is a characteristic of the Ironhide voyager... that in the MSS model combined with the large lower sections of the legs, gives a strange pyramid shape of the same. 4) In vehicle mode, in addition to the prominent feet in front of the rear wheels, an "empty space" is also evident in the flat rear section, where the rear joints of the robot's knees are seen. Making an approximate estimate based on the available photos, Ironhide MSS voyager is 16 cm tall... 2 cm less than the 2007 voyager; even if the latter is aesthetically less faithful to the CGI of the film, I still prefer it!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  17. ObakaChanTachi

ObakaChanTachi Custom Title:

Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I love your enthusiasm...

...But seriously, use paragraphs! Nobody’s going to bother reading through massive blobs of text.

• Like Like x 2
  18. RinAldo

Lockdown AOE deluxe class, has as a weapon the cannon (which can be either held or positioned as a "gunface"); Lockdon MB-15 TLK deluxe class, has the hook and the dagger (the same two weapons of Lockdown Studio Series), while Shadow Rider Studio Series (which is one of the clones/soldier of Lockdown) has as a weapon the spark extractor... in practice, after four version, Hasbro has completed the number of Lockdown weapons!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Lukelbs

The pictures posted with this observation have the figure mistransformed. The proper transformation actually is more accurate.

Here is a picture I took of my Stutio Series Ironhide with my customized HftD deluxe Ironhide.
    20180621_213049.jpg
    Aside from the bumper, in my opinion, this is the most accurate figure we've had of Ironhide. (Jury is still out on the MPM Ironhide).

• Like Like x 3
  20. RinAldo

Ok, thanks Lukelbs for the correction... in fact I based my self on one of the first photos taken for Ironhide SS (where the transformation in robot mode left me perplexed)! However this Studio Series version, I still do not like it!