MPM-6 Ironhide

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by is456, Jan 9, 2018.

1. tekering

tekering Missing a member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Yes, the Japanese release has cleaner, shinier die-cast parts. I can attest to that myself as well.

2. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

This is getting exciting .....

As for them being identical....at this point, I can care less about aesthetic differences, I'm in it for a toy that works! Sounds like the Tak release is a step in the right direction so far. We'll see.

3. BWfan86

BWfan86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think it's way too early to say Takara's copies are all better - based on posts here, there are Hasbro copies with cleaner, shinier diecast parts than others. Until we hear from a number of people with a Takara version, the verdict is still out

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  4. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

I agree.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Jarrod

Jarrod Semi-retired Builder

News Credits:
    Well, I hope my TT one has shoulder joints like my second US one, since that one is going back to Amazon for un-shoulder related issues. That shiny chrome is what I was hoping for on the TT as well, but worth noting that my second US is pretty nice to.

Anyway, since this one is getting returned, time for some experiments. So, who doesn't mind modding their figures a bit, getting the hood and grill aligned better, and relieving some of that stress and tension trying to get into truck mode?

20181215_115859.jpg

It's the big gray clips causing the issue! First, they are pushing the outside halves of the hood upward, and second, they are fighting with the smaller black clips that some people are breaking off. So get rid of them! Well, not entirely, cut them down some.

I've cut off this ridge on the hood halves. Sorry, no before picture, but take a look and you'll see it:
    20181215_120019.jpg

Then, shave off the little "tooth/ridge" part of the clip on the center section. (I actually ended up shaving the entire clip down a bit). I thought it best to keep the tab itself as a guide.
    20181215_120039.jpg

Now, it's going to seem like you're getting rid of some important clips holding the hood together at first. But once everything is together, the hood, roof, arm panels, bumper, windshield tabs, front wheel tabs, etc, there is no loss of stability. In fact...I think it feels even more stable, as there's not, what I believe, unnatural tension pushing the hood halves upwards. It might just be my imagination though.

For the grill, check these tabs:
    20181215_121442.jpg

The on the left (Ironhide's right) was WAY longer, vertically, than the other side. So I cut some off. I also shaved them down some on the most forward plane (the one visible above). So that they fit, properly, into the spaces as intended:

20181215_121530.jpg

Resulting in a grill that lines up better. Now, the grill housing on the ride side of the photo is actually glued in crooked, so it appears more out of line, but that's actually because it's more far forward.

20181215_121424.jpg

I should have my TT version on Tues or Wed, and will definitely be modding it the same as well.

• Like Like x 15
  6. BWfan86

BWfan86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So, you are modding a figure and then returning it? Hope you at least send it back classified as a damaged item

7. Jarrod

News Credits:
    Lol, yes. Technically, I received a defective item which was going to be returned anyway, so might as well try some things first. As I've already said, one grill housing is glued in crooked, there's a missing side view mirror, and missing paint on one the rear fenders. I was just holding onto to it for a few days to compare to my TT.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dudicus

Dudicus G2 Combiner dudebro.

News Credits:
    This is some great stuff. Think you could take a look at the arm panels and see if you can get them to properly tab into his arms? I have a couple ideas but I’m hesitant to try them out since I’m thinking of selling my Ironhide.

9. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

Nice work.
    What did you use for all of the tab shaving?

10. Megatron118

Megatron118 Excelsior!

Do they still move around when you pose the shoulders, or did you add enough so that they’re pretty much stationary? I haven’t gotten around to it yet, but I was going to use @crazee928 and now your advice to do it; plan was to add quite a bit inside the joints so they effectively are tabbed

11. Transvin

Transvin Well-Known Member

I was thinking maybe it works if you make a groove in the grey bar under the hood to hold the hood pieces more... kind of locking it begin the chest bumper part... see picture!

Just an idea but it maybe works!

Attached Files:

12. Jarrod

News Credits:
    Mine tab in fine, so I can't tell what would need to done. But I'll see how my TT one fares.

Just your standard hobby blade (x-acto, Tamiya, whatever your choice is).

• Like Like x 1
  13. Gepard

Gepard Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Mine broke off; are they required for the truck to hold together if I do the mods?

14. Lukelbs

Lukelbs Manchester Orchestra - I Know How to Speak

I love trying to get my figures to do one footed poses. All the MPM figures have been able to do that without issue. Ironhide, with all his odd proportions took a bit more effort to get a one footed pose, but I did it!
    20181215_125944.jpg

Such incredible detail on this guy! 20181215_130322.jpg

• Like Like x 17
  15. World Prime

World Prime Za Warudo!

Ebay:
    Where did you get that tiny dog figure I wish I had one for photo shoots haha!
    Clean shiny metal doesn't suit Ironhide IMO. I like the die cast on mine a lot.
    Cool mods! My truck mode lines up pretty decently already so I might not do these mods but I'll keep this post in mind just in case. Thanks for posting!

Future has really helped this figure guys. I can actually move his arms without pulling his torso apart now! At least most of the time. The strong shoulder ratchets make it hard to NEVER move the shoulders when posing the arms though. I can't stop taking pics I love this figure a lot.

IMG_0950.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  16. Lukelbs

Lukelbs Manchester Orchestra - I Know How to Speak

It's one of the many toys at my in-laws home. Gotta have lots of toys for the grandkids. So i thought I'd take advantage of the situation since my Ironhide was with me.

17. World Prime

World Prime Za Warudo!

Ebay:
    I'd say use a lot, but make sure to only get it in the joints and not everywhere! I might do another round since it was so effective but I don't think you're ever going to get it to the point of "effectively tabbed".
    Sweet! Reminds me of how @Optimistic Prime used some of his childhood toys as props.

• Like Like x 3
  18. artimus prime

artimus prime SCALE Debater that collects multiple TF lines TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    20181214_153642.jpg
    "Prime! Make something of yourself!"

20181216_031548.jpg
    "You have a rodent infestation. Shall I terminate?"

20181216_031528.jpg

"....What he peed on you? Bad... Bad Mojo!"
    "BAD MOJO!"

• Like Like x 12
  19. PrimeVsPrime

PrimeVsPrime Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    D6BF7483-AFE8-4A66-9C3A-0C922E3C06B4.jpeg
    Not really, I found it easier to transform with them gone. Here’s what the hood looks like with them broken off

• Like Like x 5
  20. World Prime

World Prime Za Warudo!

Ebay:
    Sorry I know it's been posted before but can you show me which tabs exactly make the transformation easier when gone? I really don't want to clip the wrong tabs.