MPM-06 Ironhide Review

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Music, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Music

Music Primetimus Prime

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Okay, so I haven't had much time with the figure and nor have I transformed him yet, but I've played around with the articulation and experimented with various poses. I've posted some pictures down below. To start off, what this figure achieves the best out of all Ironhides that have released so far is the accuracy. Hands down this the most accurate (and to scale ;) ) Ironhide you can own. The SS Ironhide is really close, but that bumper throws it out. Now, you could do the bumper mod which makes him far more pleasing to the eye, but you still would have both the real and faux bumper in sight. Another thing this Ironhide has over the SS is his thighs. The thighs on the SS are simply not beefy enough. The movie-accurate thigh wheels on the MPM give him the necessary screen-accurate thickness. Now, where this Ironhide falls ill is in the chest department. While I don't have the untabbing issue that some others with earlier versions have, the chest is still fairly weak. The way they have the hood pieces just sit there with little friction makes him a bit hard to pose. It's not impossible to get it to angle correctly, but a little nudge will make his hood pieces fall. They should have found a way to either secure the hood or make the hinge stiffer. O̶n̶e̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶m̶i̶n̶o̶r̶ ̶n̶i̶t̶p̶i̶c̶k̶:̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶g̶u̶y̶ ̶b̶a̶s̶i̶c̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶h̶a̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶ ̶k̶n̶e̶e̶ ̶a̶r̶t̶i̶c̶u̶l̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶.̶ ̶T̶h̶e̶ ̶f̶u̶r̶t̶h̶e̶s̶t̶ ̶I̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶g̶o̶t̶t̶e̶n̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶m̶o̶v̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶1̶0̶ ̶d̶e̶g̶r̶e̶e̶s̶.̶ ̶P̶e̶r̶h̶a̶p̶s̶ ̶I̶'̶m̶ ̶d̶o̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶w̶r̶o̶n̶g̶. Never mind! This guy has the full 90-degree bend at the knee. Luckily, Ironhide is not one of those Bots you'll be doing acrobatical poses with. Plus, the huge hefty legs of his make it well worth the sacrifice. Now back to the good stuff. The paint on this guy is best I've seen on an Ironhide so far. Out of the box, you will get silver paint, nice gray plastic, and a shiny black coating. The head sculpt is also phenomenal. In general, the sculpting on this guy is what Hastak has surpassed in. A great benefit to buying an MPM is the diecast, which is always a treat. I believe Ironhide has more diecast than Prime as he was a bit heavier to me. These arms are also surprisingly poseable. In the pictures down below, you can see a taste of what you could do.

Overall, I would say this is the best Ironhide you can get. Accuracy holds a lot of weight for me and that alone pushes this guy to the top of my list. However, I would not say this is the best MPM. The best MPM is still Barricade. That should not detract you from getting this figure. There is still a lot of fun to be had with MPM-6. I'm happy with the figure so far, though, I'm hoping the next MPM will push the boundaries of perfection a little more.

I've put some of my favorite photos on top while the rest are under the spoiler tag.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  2. Heat Guy

Heat Guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Alright, got him off Amazon today. No pictures due to a lighting issue right now.

1543888689341.jpg
    Truck mode:
    All the black a nice glossy black
    Glad to see his lights are clear plastic, cab lights, fog lights, fender lights, really good surprise from the painted over ones on the proto
    Mines cab has some issues locking in
    Exhaust is a soft rubber

1543880109774.jpg
    Robot:
    BIG boy
    Limited knees due to how the side panels fold around
    Arms are weird but that was a given.

Honestly, hes the first masterpiece that is just a articulated statue. I do nt dislike him, just manage your expectations.
    1543888794610.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  3. G1Optimal

G1Optimal Autobot

News Credits:
    Was he packed in robor or vehicle mode?

4. Heat Guy

Heat Guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Robot. Box is around the same size as Primes.

• Like Like x 1
  5. G1Optimal

G1Optimal Autobot

News Credits:
    Cool thanks for the reply

6. BlackHawkOmega

BlackHawkOmega Artist with a Temper

News Credits:
    He looks nice, but I think I prefer the Studio Series Ironhide, to be honest.

7. 1BLD

1BLD Well-Known Member

The knee news is disappointing.

8. BWfan86

BWfan86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Geez- articulate statue is pretty damning. As a side note, on the main MpM6 thread, someone mentioned that the knees are actually more mobile than originally thought. Don’t know if that makes a difference

9. Onslaught24

Onslaught24 Rockstars don't wear watches Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Cab definitely has issues locking in. It feels like one of those "get it all at once" kinda things cause doing it step by step feels nearly impossible. The hood halves definitely don't wanna stay tabbed together and I can't get the armatures underneath to position right for the front wheels to tab in.

Other than transformation and articulation issues, this dude is pretty good. Worth the $100 from Amazon, but either prepare yourself for ROTF Optimus levels of frustration, or wait til he goes on sale. Hope Peaugh and the others get him in soon.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Gepard

Gepard Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Is it weird that this increased my enthusiasm?

• Like Like x 6
  11. AndreyOfDoom

AndreyOfDoom maximize

News Credits:
    ROTF prime locked in well in both modes. This figure is a underwhelming for the MP line honestly with the truck panels not holding thanks to weight of the arms+cannons. Also, the tolerances are poor with some ratchets being weak, some hinges too tight. IT seems like it needed more time in the factory to adjust all the tolerances and reengineer a few tabs.

12. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    Can anyone compare his robot mode to DotM Leader Ironhide's, please?

13. AndreyOfDoom

AndreyOfDoom maximize

News Credits:
    You mean in a picture or a description?

14. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    Lol photo. I can already see that MPM is far superior, but I'd like to see a size comparison.

15. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    excellent review.

One thing striking for me that I see in pics is the ..er..chest clavicle?.. that front jetting out looks closest to all CGI models that ive seen. I cant wait to get this one.

• Like Like x 1
  16. World Prime

World Prime Za Warudo!

Ebay:
    Finally got him! First impression is WOW. Right out of the box this guy impresses with the insane detail and movie likeness.

Second impression is DAMN. They really should have tested this thing more. One of the arms is loose on mine (especially the arm panels) and although the chest holds together fine without the cannons, their weight tends to be too much for them. I really want to find some mod or solution to this issue cause he is SO GOOD LOOKING. I keep feeling like we're all missing something. Like there's some magic tab somewhere that we can't see and that will solve all the issues. Still looking though...

Get out here buddy we need you!

IMG_0786.jpg
    Ironhide, reporting for duty!

IMG_0787.jpg
    I'm definitely interested in whether or not the arm panels can be modded to stay in place better. That's the worst thing on my copy.

• Like Like x 3
  17. tonysandlin

tonysandlin Well-Known Member

Cam someone show how to get the knees to bend to 90 degrees? I can't figure it out lol or do you just split the kibble on the calf?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Leopard5

Leopard5 Human in disguise

News Credits:
    The 90 degree knee bend got cancelled

• Like Like x 2
  19. BWfan86

News Credits:
    There is definitely a way to do it - the pics in the thread in the news section show him in poses where the knee is bent a full 90 degrees

20. BWfan86

News Credits:
    This picture reminds me of Rhinox and his Chain Guns of doom

• Like Like x 3