Heavy/Scratch: MPM 04 Optimus Prime modifications

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Lukelbs, Jul 28, 2017.

1. rego0012

rego0012 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've had three hasbro in hand at this point and had no serious issues with any of them fitting together in any mode out side of the pipe to the stacks being impossibly too short to actually reach the end of the stacks and the abdomen tabs being completely too large and frankly worthless for their intended purpose.

It's just an extremely annoying toy to transform because the tolerances are way too tight. You can't just move things around without thinking of how the will affect the part you are trying to interact with them.

Everything will tab in unmoded in truck mode outside of the stack pipes if everything is in the proper positioning.

I think a lot of people are experiencing some warping of parts when they first try to transform this figure due to how crappy it's been packaged and adding the frustration of how tight the tolerances are on top of. It makes it seem as though more is wrong with the figure than their really is when these things combine

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  2. Megatron118

Megatron118 I <3 Linkin Park

I feel like the split tires are such an insignificant detail for a non-DMK figure that the payoff would not outweigh the work expended. But to each their own!

• Like Like x 1
  3. tonysandlin

tonysandlin Well-Known Member

WRONG

:p 

I posted a thread about this, but it would improve the alt mode accuracy as well as give the bot mode a unique transformation.

4. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Hey @Jarrod how long did you heat up the windshield rivets? Also, did you remove the rivets or just straighten out the rivet angle by just bending?

5. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So the idea is that the tire that would split apart would be the inner wheel, correct? Maybe there could be a mechanism that would expand it as the outer wheel collapsed into it? Not sure how that would work on such a small scale, though. As nice of an idea as it is, seems like it would be very fragile.. :-/

• Like Like x 1
  6. tonysandlin

Like this? :) 

I'm working on getting a model built to 3d print it, but the prototype works just fine.
    20170926_191841.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  7. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Gotcha. The parts you've made sit on the inside on the existing wheel, if I'm understanding correctly, right?

8. tonysandlin

Kind of. The tabs to slide each section are actually on the outside of the wheel. You can check out my thread if you'd like so we don't keep derailing this one lol

• Like Like x 1
  9. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm already there. Lol

• Like Like x 1
  10. savio-prime

savio-prime Autobot

Ebay:
    I was able to mess with mine (Hasbro version) this weekend. Mine only has 3 transformation issues and 1 assembly issue, all of which impact the truck mode.

1. Right smokestack won't extend fully.
    2. Smokestacks don't align with the pipe at the bottom by the step up box
    3. Hood has the infamous alignment issue

4. Roof has the same 2 hinges flipped around.

Solution for issue #1
    Im pretty sure I can get the right side smokestack to release completely

Issue #2
    No solution

Solution for issue #3
    I can get the hood to align flush under the windshield to near perfection and without much effort, until I try to close the upper door halves. Then it all goes to poop.

So measured the openings of each side that the upper door halves are supposed to fit into. Guess what? Both sides are too TALL to fit! Every time I try to finesse them into position, that causes the windshield and hood to lift and separate becoming misaligned.

20171001_231525.jpg

When I leave the upper door halves open, the hood remains as it is supposed to. I've made sure this is the case.

20171001_230650.jpg

So, the simple fix is to remove plastic from the bottom of the upper door halves, which will better match the geometry of its intended mating surfaces on the bottom halves of the doors. I think about 1 millimeter is sufficient to remove, and then the windshield and hood won't get pushed up which is causing the distortions on mine.

Alternate solution... shorten height of bottom door halves instead.

Issue #4
    Remove the 4 pins for the hinges, swap them to the other side and reinstall the hinges.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  11. savio-prime

savio-prime Autobot

Ebay:
    Real problem on mine...

I just took another look, and I think the actual problem is because mine is warped. It's bowed at the section of the sleeper and the doors, causing the misalignment.

20171001_234924.jpg

You can see in this photo that the panel of the sleeper wall and door are not level with each other.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  12. KayODave

KayODave Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Looks like you've got some hairdrying to do

13. savio-prime

savio-prime Autobot

Ebay:
    You know, I pushed his shoulders down until the doors and sleeper became level several times. When I do that, so many other things fall out of alignment!

I think the most simple solution for mine would be to shorten the bottom halves of the doors.

• Like Like x 1
  14. AndreyOfDoom

AndreyOfDoom maximize

News Credits:
    I performed a simple pair of cuts to get the smokestacks aligned on the Hasbro version. The mod is not noticeable and doesn't weaken any structure of the hinge or the piece.

The hinge is in the right place and the smokestack piece itself is the right length. As seen in the picture below, it just doesn't fold out far enough. The blue lines show that the smokestack folded out is crooked. If it had folded far enough, the blue lines would be parallel with the silver step box below them and the horizontal lines would be in place for the smokestack to plug into. The solution is to cut away the plastic which prevents from the smokestack from folding out more.
    20170924_164429.jpg The below picture shows where to trim. I used an exacto knife and slid it along the shaded red parts to trim down. The plastic underneath is blue. 20170924_164525.jpg

The shaded blue rectangle below shows how much I cut off before the mod. This trim is 2-3 milimeters and invisible in both modes 20170924_164514.jpg
    After finishing the cut, this is how the smokestack pipe should fold out. Now that it folds out far enough, the smokestacks plug in 20170924_164415.jpg
    Now with the standard transformation, both sides plug in! 20170924_164837.jpg
    Let me know if you guys have any questions!

• Like Like x 9
  15. savio-prime

savio-prime Autobot

Ebay:
    • Like Like x 1
  16. KayODave

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Sweet. I had suspected that Hasbro's notches were too shallow compared to Takara's. This confirms it. Well done!

• Like Like x 1
  17. KayODave

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Here's a thought: Would it be possible to remove the smokestacks and transplant them onto the sleeper panels that end up on the back of robot mode? They'd still go where they're supposed to in truck mode and they'd end up where they should be in robot mode.

18. John TheDestroyer

John TheDestroyer I rise, you fall

News Credits:
    Do you have any pictures to illustrate what you mean? I dont have him in hand yet and I'm not sure what you're referring to.

19. KayODave

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    I don't, it's just an idea I threw out there.

20. John TheDestroyer

John TheDestroyer I rise, you fall

News Credits:
    Do you have the figure in person? Would you be able to take a picture or explain what you mean in more detail? Because I'm really curious actually, if its an option for better placed smokestacks.