Heavy/Scratch: MPM 04 Optimus Prime modifications

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Lukelbs, Jul 28, 2017.

1. Lukelbs

Lukelbs Brand New Science Fiction!

Ebay:
    It is possible, but just messing around with my copy, the problem seems internal. Something inside his alt mode is not allowing his windows and parts of the hood to sit flush with the rest of the hood assembly. When I finish the modifications I have planned for his robot mode, I'll see what I can fix with his truck mode and post it here.

• Like Like x 1
  2. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Following this, because these mods are necessary, in my opinion. Great work, do far!!

• Like Like x 2
  3. cyberpredicus

cyberpredicus Well-Known Member

Sweet mods

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lukelbs

Ebay:
    Thank you! I agree, they got this figure to 95% so it just needs a couple of mods to get it to 100%

Thank you!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Lukelbs

Ebay:
    Unfortunately I just botched a mod. I miscalculated the available space, and misplaced a new joint. I tried to enable the tailight section to fold up. This would hide it in bot mode and allow more free movement of the waist swivel. The mod can still work, just not how I did it. Luckily I have a second MPM 04 on the way, I will attempt the mod again.
    Here are pictures:
    20170730_010041.jpg
    The location of the new joint does not allow any clearance for the tailight section to swing up. 20170730_010023.jpg If I move the joint closer to the back, there should be the available space to swing up without catching on the back part of the crotch piece.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  6. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So unfortunate to mess up on such an expensive figure :( .. I was, however, wondering if this could be done. I'm glad to see it can be.

Are you planning anything for those rear fenders, outside of having them butt up to each other on his back?

7. MrOliveira

MrOliveira Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    wow, what Prime is this one????? looks incredible

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lukelbs

Ebay:
    It is a customized Leader Class Optimus Prime from the DotM. Looks like Striker Prime. He has the FWI-03 jetfire add - on. It looks pretty slick!

• Like Like x 2
  9. eltonlin98

eltonlin98 9/20/17, and no it doesn't concern you

News Credits:
    Trial and error! The tailgate swinging up was a really neat idea I haven't contemplated, you're definitely pushing the potential of the figure! Seeing that pic with some of the feet silver paint scraped reminds me to invest in foil tape

Since you were never able to get your MPM-4's truck to tab in, I sincerely hope your next copy has better tolerances!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Lukelbs

Ebay:
    Thank you! I feel like this next one I get should be better!

Yeah, foil tape may be a good investment for this guy. I might pick some up!

I have been looking at the tailight section, I think I still may be able to salvage it and get it to work like I originally envisioned! If I can get it to work, I will make sure to post it!

• Like Like x 1
  11. jaraxel

jaraxel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    why foil tape?

12. Lukelbs

Ebay:
    The silver paint on his grill and front bumper wear off since they form his feet. Just like the RotF Leader Class mold.

13. jaraxel

News Credits:
    That's what I guessed, but why use foil tape? as restoration or preventative?

14. eltonlin98

eltonlin98 9/20/17, and no it doesn't concern you

News Credits:
    I'm personally using it for prevention (since the grill's silver paint scrapes easy in robot mode), so it goes on the moment the figure comes out the box. @Lukelbs might have a different idea when it comes to custom matters

• Like Like x 1
  15. John TheDestroyer

John TheDestroyer I rise, you fall

News Credits:
    Ridiculously simple mods that make the figure so much better. I really want to see what you can come up with for truck mode since thats the only thing holding me back at this point.

• Like Like x 1
  16. jaraxel

News Credits:
    Would love to see how you're doing it. I considered using something on the bottom of the feet to lift that slightly (like some very thin rubber pads) but the transformation might not like it... I was thinking of doing that for the ROTF/DOTM leader prime molds.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

I think you're correct; something inside is creating upwards pressure to make the whole thing pop up. I looked at wotafa's fixes; widening the holes under the windshield might help a bit but won't solve the problem, and I don't understand what the purpose was of that hinge mod (and it weakens that joint significantly).

If you have a chance, could you look into the issue further? I feel like there's probably a simple fix for this, it's just a matter of knowing where to cut.

-XCN-

• Like Like x 1
  18. KayODave

KayODave Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    I think that hinge mod was to allow it to bend more so that the cab section could stay pegged into the arms.

19. Lukelbs

Ebay:
    Thank you! It is so close to perfection, it just needs a bit of nudging. I'll hopefully be able to get his truck mode figured out.

Yeah. I may not use the tape, but I might look into it. With the RotF mold I just put clear coat over it, and haven't had any issues.

As soon as I finish the modifications I have planned for his robot mode, I plan on tackling his truck mode and figuring out how to get him to tab together better.

I think exactly that is the reason for the mod!

• Like Like x 3
  20. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

Did some preliminary Dremel work. Nothing conclusive yet, just a few quick thoughts:

The two halves of the windshield don't sit flush; right was higher than left. Can't shave down hole, because it's next to a ridiculously short pin joint. Shaved down peg instead; sits more flush now.

Rear cab/robot head clearance seems ridiculously tight, and that hinge causes some slight upward pressure if everything isn't perfectly seated. I'd consider cleaning out the inside, but I don't know how much plastic I have to work with before creating holes and ruining everything.

Had to lengthen the slots on the blue leg panels to the rear, because holy crap are those pegs way off. (This is one of wotafa's mods.)

Noticed that pushing down on the windshield to force the pegs in causes the bottom of the windshield to split. Taking that thought further: unpegging the arms lets the panels sit down further, at the cost of a large, diamond-shaped gap between the windshield halves and the rear of the arms. That makes me think I might need to shave the sides of the pegs that go into the windshield. It also makes me think that there's something so fundamentally wrong with how the figure is put together that no amount of cutting is going to fix it; I'm going to have to choose between raised panels, or giant diamond gap.

Split door panels never, ever sit flush; they're always out of alignment. Not sure if the doors themselves are cause or effect.

Again, remember that there's likely to be quite a bit of variance between figures, because the QC is so atrocious. That means different figures may require different fixes.

-XCN-

• Like Like x 3