MP3 Tagging Question

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Drake, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

Ok I finally stepped into the world of MP3 players yesterday. I've been at tagging my music collection for a while and getting it up to par with MP3TAG. I just have one question. For some reason the Genre and Year aren't showing up on some of the songs in my MP3 Player even though it's been tagged and show up in windows. Anyone know what could be causing this? Thanks. Player is a Walkman btw.

2. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm not an expert, but it may have to do with the player being unable to read either ID3v1 or ID3v2 tags. If you can, check which songs aren't working and see which tagging system they're using. Beyond that, I haven't got a clue. Corrupt file possibly.

Also consider alternate tagging software. I use itunes for mass-tagging (i.e., selecting multiple files to re-tag as by the same artist) and winamp for surgical tagging (i.e., individual track titles, tag data that doesn't show up in itunes, etc.)

3. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    You might also try TagScanner.

4. Drake

Cool. I'll give tag scanner a shot. The files themselves play fine. It's just that I went through all the hassle of tagging all these and don't have much to show for my effort. Thanks!

5. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    One cool thing about Tag Scanner, is that it can auto fill the tags from the file name. It's in the TAG Processor section.

6. Drake

Huge thanks for the heads up about Tag Scanner. Incredible program. I just resaved the files in Tag Scanner and now everything shows up. I also like how it can fix the file names based on the tag data.

7. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    No problem. I found it pretty useful when consolidating my collection so I figured it'd probably help in your case.