mp3 player soundwave

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by sunnyswipe, Jan 24, 2009.

1. sunnyswipe

sunnyswipe autobot

News Credits:
    hey all, im looking into buying a soundwave mp3, trouble is ive never had an mp3 player before, the reviews on amazon mention that the instructions are in japanese and that you need an 'sd' card?

trouble is, i dont speak japanese and ive no idea what an sd card is, can anyone give me any pointers? or mention if they have had any trouble with one of these?

cheers!

2. ExVeeBrawn

ExVeeBrawn Three dollar Nazi

News Credits:
    An SD card is Secure Digital. One of the better and least expensive flash memory formats. Except Soundwave needs Mini SD, which is a comparatively obscure format variation in North America. It is not the same thing as Micro SD which many small devices use.

From what I hear, Soundwave makes a pretty bad MP3 player anyway. If you want it as a Soundwave figure, that's cool, but there's plenty of better dedicated MP3 players to be had for cheaper than you can get Music Label Soundwave. And usually with instructions printed in English. :D 

3. Galva-Cannon

Galva-Cannon Well-Known Member

You need a "mini SD" card, not a normal SD card, or a "micro SD" card.

But that's only if you want to use it as a functional MP3 player. You could just buy it as an expensive action figure. It's not a very good MP3 player, so if you're thinking of using it often to listen to music, you'll be disappointed.

I'll explain what I mean about it not being a very good MP3 player. The way it works is that you plug your mini SD card into your computer (for this you will need at least an SD card reader, and a mini SD card will generally come with an adapter for the mini SD to fit into a normal SD reader), then you just drag and drop MP3s onto the mini SD drive, via My Computer, or however you want to do it.

The MP3 player will then assign the playlist in the order that you place the MP3s onto the mini SD card. So if you put song A on the card first, that will be played first, if you put song B on second, that will be played second... always. There is no way to rearrange the order of which the songs play, once you have put them on the card, without deleting them all and putting them on in a different order. Also, there is no function to go to a certain track number... the only way to skip songs is to start at track 1 and press the skip forward button however many times as it takes to get to the right song.

The only display is a little light that blinks while a song is playing. There is are buttons for play, stop, volume up/down and skip one track forwards/one back... and that is the only way to control the player. So it's a terrible MP3 player, compared to anything you can get nowadays. However, the sound quality is pretty good, for what it's worth. The Rumble/Frenzy headphones give better sound also.

If you're intent on using it as an MP3 player, it's really easy to use. You don't need to read the manual. I haven't used mine for ages, but as I recall, you press and hold play to turn it on, the light comes on, then you press play again to start a song... or something like that. Basically just press the play button, that's all you have to do. The battery compartment requires a screwdriver to get into. It's really no trouble to use, it's just a rubbish player.

However, if you have lots of money to spend, it's really fun and cool to show people that you have a transformer that actually plays music. And the robot mode is a really great figure.

Edit: oops, looks like ExVeeBrawn posted just before me. Oh well, hopefully I added some useful info.

4. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    In addition to Galva-Cannon's excelent description the SD card can be no larger than 1GB and files work best at 128mbps. It realy is not a good mp3 player. It is an expensive toy with an interesting character accurate gimmick.

5. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    I can only echoe what's been said - but if you want a soundwave toy, right now I can't think of anything better. You're just forced to pay extra for an mp3 player that just... well... plays. That's it.

The card's shouldn't be too expensive if you decide to go for it (overall I was very happy with mine so don't be discouraged, but I got my Soundwave on sale at Kapow - only paid about £30 for it) - I think my card cost 99p + P&P from a seller on Amazon.

6. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
  7. sunnyswipe

sunnyswipe autobot

News Credits:
    thanks guys!

im going on a fairly long journey soon and i needed an mp3 player for the trip, sorta wanted to kill 2 birds with one stone- used mainly as an mp3 player, but a cool soundwave figure as a bonus, might give it a miss now though and get something cheaper.

cheers again though!

8. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    Hasbro should gut the electronics and release it as Universe Soundwave.

9. Galva-Cannon

Galva-Cannon Well-Known Member

That's what I bought it for too actually. Well mainly I bought it to sit on the shelf alongside my Classics... but I got one just before I had to go on a long car journey, so that it would get at least one shot at being used as an MP3 player. To be fair, Soundwave served his purpose well on that one trip. It would work for you as an MP3 player, he's just nowhere near the sophistication of the modern equivalents. And it's a pain to alter your playlist.

So I don't want to put you off buying him, because he is really cool. It just depends on your priorities... whether you want the best MP3 player for your money, or whether you'll take an incredibly bare-bones MP3 player, just because it also transforms into Soundwave.

10. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    It's too bad it doesn't have built in speakers, otherwise you could turn the mp3 player into an expensive voice box and just load him up with Soundwave clips.

This, as well as make him large enough so that tapes fit in his chest