MP29+ Shockwave And MP36+ Megatron G1 Toy Colors

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Jtprime17, May 9, 2018.

1. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Superhero?

Ebay:
    He really is, there was plenty of criticism of the unusual/non Starscream-like deco, the priority the alt-mode took over the robot mode, the tail-fins on the hips and not the legs...even back them G1 accuracy was paramount to many fans and MP-3 was received rather lukewarmly. Personally I was a fan at the time but many were not. This is why he was revised for MP-11. In a way the new Shockwave feels a little like a simpler (but far less drastic) revision that puts right what many fans felt was wrong with the first version.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  2. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not everyone agrees with you. I appreciate Greenscream's coloring and detail so much that I added the KO MP11 Greenscream to my collection. And it looks stunning. I wanted the original MP3 but its no where to be found at a decent price.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Type-R

Type-R blissed off my chonk!

News Credits:
  4. stprime

stprime Exclu-DEAD

I need to know the price on that megs. Wish I hadn't bought the "toy" ko now.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yaujta

Yaujta Chill dad. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Man, that Megatron is looking so good.
    Can't wait for pre-orders to go up.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Agreed. I have a feeling the price is up because the production run is planned to be much shorter than the runs for regular MP29/36 in addition to having retooled parts involved.
    Not quite. MP3 got mixed reviews upon release. Main reason being that once Kawamori Shoji was brought onboard, he altered Kobayashi's original prototype substantially(cleaning up the jet mode with CFT's but having those components along with the stabilizers hanging off robot mode like scabbards in addition to making a non-G1 color scheme which was meant to resemble an F-15E Strike Eagle but ended up with too much green/turquoise tint rather than dark grey). MP3 came off as an acquired taste but many seemed to prefer the original prototype.

MP11 was based off of the original MP3 prototype and thus, seemed to have a warmer reception. MP3 was my favorite mold for years but
    I also feel that this Shockwave will be a limited run thus the increase in price(in addition to pricing to cover the new tools for the head sculpt). One example being the Coneheads: substantial retools and necessary to complete a Seeker collection yet a while later still readily available at BBTS for $70 off and still not flying out of inventory. Maybe that's why takara is potentially making MP29/36+ limited; limited demand, therefore higher upfront cost.

If these were to be produced in a run just as big as the regular MP-29/36 runs, then I would say okay yea, price gouging or labor costs shot up dramatically. However if these are much smaller runs(let's say 5,000 units for MP29/36+ VS 15,000 for MP29/36), then the higher cost is more than likely due to the smaller production run.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Type-R

Type-R blissed off my chonk!

News Credits:
    I only just realized that the red on Megatron's arms are on the top sides rather than the insides. They're only in the "right" position when his cannon arm is posed like the G1 box art.

• Like Like x 1
  8. stprime

stprime Exclu-DEAD

I saw that immediately. That's my only gripe so far. Besides no trigger crotch.

• Like Like x 1
  9. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

I kept trying to unload my MISB copy (because I preordered before the sea foam deco was revealed and couldn't be bothered to open it when it arrived) at more or less retail for years with no success. The last few years I've adopted the practice of keeping stuff off the market until the price has gone bonkers. Haggling for pennies was the worst part of retail after putting up with distributor bullshit. That Starscream occupies a strange place in my collection today, where I don't really want it but it's not worth disposing of either.

I understand though as I had a really tough time finding an MP-7 Thundercracker under $300 when I somehow slept through that release's availability window...

• Like Like x 1
  10. Darkstone

Darkstone Code of Hero

News Credits:
    Is Megatron's gun barrel left unpainted to avoid the paint-rubbing issue when you out the silencer on?

Seems like retooling the silencer would’ve been a better solution but oh well.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Fallout

Fallout ꧁꧂

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    the g1 toy was deco'd like that too.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Superhero?

Ebay:
    Yeah it's one of my biggest complaints about the original release(the easily damaged paint job in general is a problem as well). Anything they can do to fix that oversight is good news in my opinion, it really killed my enjoyment of the figure when despite being extremely careful I scratched the paint putting the silencer on...it's a really poor design choice.

13. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I remember it was a 2000 run for blue bluestreak and ramjet, I doubt its changed too much from that, where the run could be a little bigger if it gets overwhelming support during the reservation period. All those extras come from Hasbro Asia, where most people get theirs through, who I think does a regular run, that's more or less where the gouging would be coming from. Hasbro Asia in the past has charged a premium price for stuff. I think there MP-10 with stand release was a lot more than the original Hasbro run

• Like Like x 1
  14. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    I wonder if it'll even come with the silencer. The image in the ad shows regular MP36 with the silencer, not MP36+. Thinking more about it now, I'm surprised takara didn't go all the way and make a new handheld gun and sword.

Or maybe they did and will reveal later(hopefully).

• Like Like x 1
  15. Xaxis

Xaxis Well-Known Member

It’s possible that 36+ doesn’t come with the silencer. Note that the photo with the stock and silencer is of the original release (no chrome, no Decepticon symbol on the handle). Rumors of this release said it wouldn’t have those accessories, we’ll have to see when details are announced.

Edit: ninja’d by Shin. :D 

16. Gamerlingual

Gamerlingual Officially licensed OS KO of Scourgatron TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Tokyo, Japan (Originally from Los Angeles)
    Ebay:
    The price may not be as expensive if it comes with less accessories. One thing to think about.

17. Xaxis

Xaxis Well-Known Member

Or it still might be more expensive than the original due to a smaller production run.

18. Darkstone

Darkstone Code of Hero

News Credits:
    But the original toy had those parts, right? Seems like a dumb decision to not include them with a toy-based retool / repaint.

Now that I think about it, wasn’t the barrel on G1 Megatron also just gray plastic while the rest of the gun was silver? Seems like this look is actually toy accurate, and they kill two birds with one stone: It's accurate and there's no paint that could rub off when you out the silencer on.

19. Xaxis

Xaxis Well-Known Member

Correct. The original G1 barrel was unpainted.

It does seem like an odd decision to leave out the attachments, since the G1 toy did have them. We’ll just have to wait and see.

20. W-P38

W-P38 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What I stated was my own collector's criteria, not what a line should or should not be doing. The current style of MP, as Shin pointed out as having started roughly with Ironhide (although I would say it happened earlier), is certainly largely driven by anime accuracy. It's part of the very reason why some are impressed/surprised by the new 29 and 36.

Making an example of a figure that's at least 10 years old and released when the MP line was still figuring itself out is hardly a strong counterpoint. Not to mention that very mold was later improved for anime accuracy (MP-11). Nice try, though.

• Like Like x 1