MP12 pics!

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by thelastson82, Oct 9, 2012.

1. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

I'm not sure if you're new to this debate... but the issue is that for Transformers (and especially G1 Transformers), having toys that are in scale with each other in both modes is actually impossible. We're required to submit somewhat to the fantasy, and Takara made a point of declaring that the new MP line would all be scaled to each other in robot mode... which is, honestly, the more important mode.

It's a little more obvious in the case of cars next to a truck, so I understand that it's not ideal... but obviously we weren't expecting Starscream to be vehicle scaled, and certainly not Soundwave... so what's the big deal?

See, the difference here is that photos of MP10 made him look GORGEOUS. In this case, the weak points of Sideswipe are pretty evident in the pictures.

I'm sure I'll love this figure when I eventually get him. But I'm hoping that will be because I waited and got him for a more reasonable domestic price.

zmog

2. yami4ct

yami4ct Well-Known Member

News Credits:

To each his own. I want him just for the gorgeous alt mode alone. We also still don't have enough photos yet to judge him by. I'm certainly getting him, but I don't fault those taking the arguably smarter move of waiting and getting him cheaper.

3. Phr0g

Phr0g Politicon

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    I really like this sideswipe, he has good articulation, evokes the old mold yet feels fresh and above all he looks to scale nicely in vehicle mode (which is a big thing for me).

The only thing I am unsure about is the face; it just looks a little off to me. Why didn’t they paint the eyes? It’s like MP 10 all over again. I am afraid that if I get this now then Hasbro might release another version later with painted eyes and then I will have to buy that one as well =/

4. yami4ct

News Credits:
    It'll hurt less with Sideswipe, though. Hasbro edition should come in at $40-50 I'm betting. Much more appealing than paying $100 for a second prime. If all else fails, you could either sell MP Sideswipe and make back most or all of that or just display one in that kick-ass car mode.

5. Phr0g

Phr0g Politicon

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Yeah I guess so, I still don’t like to get things twice though, but in this case I think it will happen since I like the character too much to pass on this initial release =P

6. Sweeny

Sweeny Electric Monk

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm with you on that but may make an exception in this case - yes there are issues with how MP Sideswipe looks (rubber tyres, insignia etc) but it looks soooo good in Countach mode that may end up getting two to display in both modes.

7. Demonss

Demonss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And thus proving why I went to school to be an engineer as my skills in math are far greater than my skills in the english language.

Still you understood the meaning.

8. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Me too - I had posters of this vehicle plastered all over my room. I need this alt mode, lol.

9. zeroomegazx

zeroomegazx I'm watching you...

News Credits:
    The new pics kinda make me not like him, wondering if i should cancel my preorder. He looks a little bit TOO G1ish (Can't believe i just said that) and his chest seems waaaaaay too big.

10. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    10000% disagree

So the smarter move is to skip MP's at retail, wait for them to go on clearance, and get the line cancelled?:inquisiti 

Newsflash= Takara Tomy stops developing MPs / Hasbro has no MPs to release.

As for the alt mode, go buy a model for 20 bucks at Hobby Lobby if you're looking for a perfect representation of the vintage car.:2c: 

11. Demonss

Demonss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's absolutely smarter (if you know you can get something later for cheaper) to wait and get it cheaper.. Whether it's good for the line or not is irrelevant.. For my wallet.. It's a smarter decision if I can wait.

Hastak could stop producing mp's tomorrow for no apparent reason regardless if it's purchased at full price or not. That being said, yes I agree buying it at full price is incentive for them to keep going, but again.. not the "arguably smarter" decision to save money for ourselves.

As for your last quip.
    To me that's why MP-10 Optimus is the better optimus, because he has a GREAT bot mode, and an alt mode that if it's sitting on the shelf makes it REALLY HARD to tell he's a toy robot. TO me that's a masterpiece trasnformer.. Sideswipe is shaping up the same way from what I Can see.

Now if the alt mode was "close enough." I'd probably be less likely to buy sideswipe.
    Yes I can buy and build a model (or a diecast scaled car) that's "more accurate." But my love of transformers is that they are "robots in disguise." And for the masterpiece I'd really love that "disguise" to nail it as much as possible.

So someone being more thrilled with the alt mode than the bot mode (because the bot mode does look a bit awkward in pics) is still a reasonable reason to be interested in buying the toy.

I think that sideswipe in hand will be more satisfying than the pictures make him look to be. I have a feeling his chest doesn't photograph well (similar to alternity cliff and bee, whom are much better in person than pictures seem to indicate).

12. yami4ct

News Credits:
    You're putting words in my mouth. Demonss made most of my argument for me, but I'll add this. I didn't say wait for clearance. I meant the smarter move was for US fans to wait for the Hasbro release and pick that up as it is most definitely going to be cheaper. Whether you buy the US or Japanese release should have a negligible effect on the line as a whole. The MPs ,I don't doubt, are not budgeted with importers in mind, or at least foremost in mind. They are budgeted for their domestic release. Whether Takara ends up getting the sale or Hasbro, in the long run doesn't matter too much.

13. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Smarter if you knew for sure he was coming out.....what happens if this sells out and no Hasbro release comes around in a years time? Prices sky rocket and you then realise that the Takara price wasn't actually all that much. I guess it's your money-your choice at the end of the day.

14. dkr7

dkr7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    looks great! WTF is with the splitting head?

15. yami4ct

News Credits:
    As far as I can determine, it's a gimmick for transformation. Makes the head take up less vertical space in the vehicle mode I guess.

16. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

It's a calculated risk. But a pretty safe one. If Hasbro doesn't release this, it probably means that the MP line is doomed anyway, and I'll just have to accept that I won't have an $80+shipping Sideswipe that will stand out in my collection like a sore thumb. :) 

Waiting for domestic release is showing Hasbro that there IS a local demand, and that they should release MP figures in the future by putting money into their coffers. I believe it was said at one of the Hasbro convention panels that budgets for things like MP figures take into account a Hasbro release. Without that, we probably wouldn't be getting these at all.

So under that logic, you should buy your Takara version, and then buy TWO when it comes out domestically... y'know, if you're a "true fan" and really want the line to be a success. It's your duty. ;) 

zmog

17. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    No, Lambor and Alert have always been their Japanese names; like how Optimus is Convoy and Jazz is Meister.

18. leov36

leov36 Rubber Wheel'd UM

Instagram:
    It's nice to see someone think logically before they start typing away

19. Cheem The Rup

Cheem The Rup Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    found other pics (don't know if old, if yes please ignore them :D )

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

20. Sai

Sai Decepticons always have more fun ;)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow nice find Cheem :thumb