MP11 Masterpiece Starscream V2 Review

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Shin Densetsu, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Timothy.R

Timothy.R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i own one macross toy.. and i think it's a piece of crap. it's finicky and it feels really light and cheap.. but it's hard for me to judge by just owning one out of so many.

2. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    Not at all!

3. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    MP11 can move his legs better than MP3 all around. Hips can move up/forward more, and they can spread a lot more. No splits but spread eagle is easy.

Also, not sure f I mentioned this, there is no sticker sheet. Now yeah, it isn't necessary but markings to me, enhance the sense of realism.

Also the toy feels durable enough to be a leader class version of Starscream for the Henkei/United line, but way more detailed and accurate.

4. Ratzo99

Ratzo99 Well-Known Member

It's tempting to keep defending and pointing out differences between the two molds, but it just makes me sound like I'm hating on the new one, which I don't really mean to do. Basically I just don't think it's worth the inflated price, and while some of the improvements are nice, some of the other changes I definitely don't like. I'm just a little surprised everyone is so positive about it. Did everyone really hate MP3 so much? Haha, I am happy with it, and I just can't see a reason to dump it and upgrade.
    Great figure for those who missed the other versions though. PEACE!

5. Timothy.R

News Credits:
    i think most people liked it.. but when they see such a vast improvement in almost* every aspect of it.. then the MP-03 mold becomes obsolete.

and for people who want the definitive starscream for their collection. this is it.

i don't know why i think this way, but i do, i truly feel like the naysayers just don't want to shell out the money. simple as that. and rather than say that, they just over-criticize the new figure while failing to see that the faults of the previous are much more obvious.

to each their own though. if you don't or can't pay for the new one, that's fine. or if you prefer the white starscream over the cartoorn version, that's fine as well.

6. Thundercracker

Thundercracker Contemptuous

Excited for mine getting here Friday. Can't wait. Looks like a vast improvement on the mold in my opinion. Hope they do Thundercracker and Skywarp too.

7. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    Well yeah, that's like saying, "I own one Transformers toy and I think it's a piece of crap." :D 

That's right where I am. I like most of the changes they made on MP11, but I really don't know what that price tag is paying for. If this were a $50 Hasbro release you wouldn't hear a peep out of me. Well, I'd still hate the goopy plastic but I would at least understand and accept why it was used. :) 

8. Thundercracker

Thundercracker Contemptuous

Speaking for myself of course, I hated the mold changes from the original concept and bitch and whined quite loudly when they came about. lol

9. pud333

pud333 Well-Known Member

Yeah, the Yamato stuff is basically like looking at models, but with toy like functionality. It's definitely geared towards the adult collector, even more so than Masterpiece figures.

The fighter mode for example: I posted this in the Macross thread but decided to post it here too. One clearly looks like a toy. I chose to compare it to Bandai's renewal Messiah valks because of the similar price point and size. (I still love this MP-11 though. It looks killer in robot mode with all the coronation gear on).

[​IMG]

Yamato totally spoiled transforming jets for me. They're just in another league.

This. ^^. A lot has changed over the past few years.

10. Ratzo99

This is kinda the attitude I don't appreciate. No offense, but yeah, you might think the improvements are "vast", and you're entitled to your opinion, but if you can't recognize how those "improvements" caused changes to the vehicle mode (for one example), which are not positive, then you can't really claim that people like me are just bitching because we're being stingy with money.
    If people seriously think the robot mode legs, and especially the feet, look better on Mp11's vehicle mode...well, then once again, they're entitled to their opinion, but I disagree 10,000%. The shins and feet are primarily what I was talking about when I said robot mode parts stick out in jet form...and yeah, those null rays on sticks are not an improvement in any way, shape or form. Guns are not "kibble". How goofy would it be if prime's blaster was attached to his arm with some sort of silly stick, just so you could claim, in a positive tone, that no parts needed to be removed? LOL

11. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Well basically, all of Yamato's 1/60 scale VF-1's version 2s are very very similar.

I've got the VF-1A Max tv version but also a Bandai VF-1J Hi Metal. The Yamato stuff is good, but it doesn't blow my mind either nor does it attempt metallic effect plastic, like this MP11 does ; instead the VF-1A Max tv is just flat white and blue ( without any panel lining wash, paint job either). Of course, that looks good.. it's the easy route.

I think, what people really like about this one... is that it proves the original pre Kawamori design works great like they always expected it to work.

12. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Wow, we're on the cusp of some really stupid debates happening.

@ Ratzo99

Lucky for you, MP-03 exists, you apparently have it and think it's the superior mold/version. Lucky for the rest of us, MP-11 now exists and is finally a proper representation of G1 Starscream on a Masterpiece level. It's clear as day what Takara are now doing with this line beginning with MP-08 - giving us as cartoon accurate as possible figures in all their brightly colored 'anime' glory... and that's exactly why there's no ridiculous out of place panel lining, why in Screamer's case his arm canons are now meant to stay as arm canons, or perfectly scaled down replica alt modes of real vehicles. So it's now win/win for MP-03 fans as well as new MP-11 fans.

As far as I'm concerned, MP-03 or its G1 deco repaint NEVER looked like an animation accurate G1 Starscream. It just looked like a real world jet that could turn into a robot that looked similar to who we knew as Starscream. And that seemed to be the entire point of what I'll call Phase 1 of Masterpieces - where up until M7, alt mode 'real world' accuracy ala Alternators/Binaltech was the first goal. Phase 2 starting at MP-08 switched gears to clearly nail cartoon accuracy instead.

13. Ratzo99

Nothing will ever look like it's animation model, because episode by episode, even frame by frame, characters look different. Different proportions, different scales, different heights and widths, even different colors and faces sometimes. How accurate any figure is, is always up for personal interpretation.

14. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

^You wanna buy all of my MP seekers so I can buy MP-11?

J/K

MP-11 seems to do a lot of things right and is an arguable improvement, but I'm still happy with my old MP seekers.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  15. Ratzo99

I definitely see why he's appealing to people in general, I'm just not feeling it. I dislike the new face sculpt a lot, that, combined with the big price, are the main reasons I won't buy it. The other issues I have with it are less important.
    I know you're kidding, but yeah, If I had extra money to burn right now, I'd buy your seekers, nice to have one set in vehicle mode for sure.
    Also, at 160 bones per piece, it's gonna be painful for you guys to complete the seeker trio of this new mold.

16. tgg7979

tgg7979 I want the matrix

Ebay:
    I completely respect where you are coming from but alot of this goes back to the days when the original prototype was shown and then we got Kawamori's changes.

The changes he made sacrificed the bot mode for a better jet mode and alot of people didn't like that, myself included. The bot mode should be where the emphasis goes imo(within reason mind you), and that was a view shared by many on here.

I also get what your trying to say for Primes gun, but I dont think its entirely apt. Starscream's null rays are an intergral part of both of his modes and it makes alot of sense to to try to reduce the parts forming, where Primes gun isnt present in his alt form.

17. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    I didn't hate MP3, in fact it was my favorite modern Transformer mold. To me, MP11 edges MP3 out due to improvements in bot mode, and because it's closer to G1, it's a Masterpiece line after all, and fans want stuff closer to the originals, whereas more futuristic or different interpretations are more easily accepted in the CHUG line.

I still have MP3 and the other repaints I bought, I'm not selling them, and I still like them. Am I going to buy Skywarp and Thundercracker over? Doubt it. Do I want an iGear? Tempted by Sunstorm but only because of the plastic glitter stuff and because it would be a different mold, bridging the gap somewhat between MP3 and MP11.
    Though admittedly, I'm not terribly impressed by what iGear did, all they did was took an MP3, added wrist communicators and changed where the CFT parts should be, making new molds in the process. Some of you may like that, and I've got no qualms with that, but it's not very original. MP11 takes a different approach, which I like. Plus MP11 is an F-15C as originally intended before Kawamori revised MP3.

Personally, I play with my toys and hate fragile parts. I loved how durable MP1 and MP Grimlock turned out, hate the intricateness of MP Rodimus, and thought MP3 could've been a lot sturdier. So for me, this is another area where MP11 trumps MP3. Durability-wise it's almost up there with MP Grimlock. It feels more solid than MP3. Do I wish the bot mode parts could've been disguised better from the side? Of course. However while Kawamori revised the MP3 design with CFT's to hide the bot mode parts, it turned MP3 into a Strike Eagle and ended up with those CFT parts on the intakes that love to pop off.

Making MP11 back into an F-15C gives more variety, plus that's a dedicated air superiority version...fitting for Starscream.

The biggest complaints I remember from MP3 had to due with quality control. MP11 has superb quality control.

Ultimately, while there are some areas MP11 didn't surpass MP3 on, I think MP11 is still the better figure.

WARNING: I inked most of the panel lines in using a Gundam marker. Gone is the plain grey look, BUT, I may have overdone it. I used a thin black Gundam marker, don't know if there are thinner ones, and a grey brush marker that comes in the regular set. The brush marker is better since you can wipe off the excess easier with a tissue or napkin. The black marker is more permanent, and the painted parts seem to have a finish that resists the ink, yet the ink adheres. I have a random line marked by mistake on the red stripe on one tail fin.

So if you want more subtle marks with room for error, use a grey brush marker.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  18. Timothy.R

News Credits:
    i didn't mean to offend you. but complaining about those feet in jet mode.. in the back of the jet, sounds like a reach to me. sure, no one seems to like the struts for the weapons. fine, i'll give you that one. but the improvements are so monumental on the new one that those two complaints just seem so minor. i mean. the color alone makes this one better than the previous. the fact that he's got heels is a major plus. the fact that they got rid of those pieces on the sides of the intakes that fall off all the time is a plus as well.

when looking at the two, i think it's easier to find more problems with the first mold than the newer one.

that, in turn, makes the new one an improvement to me.

19. Timothy.R

News Credits:
    agreed.

i love the look of all of them however, especially the newer ones.

i think i'm just so used to hasbro transforming products that the foreignness of the other just felt weird to me.

[​IMG]

christ man, look how hideous those struts look!!!

lol. just kidding.

20. CyberShadow

CyberShadow Wheeljacks Lab

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Seriously? You are going to dismiss a different viewpoint to your own and chalk it up to sour grapes instead of a difference of taste? I am pleased you and others like it. Just by the colours, it is clear that it is a closer match to the animation character. Agreed. Better? No. Not for me. I don't want an MP figure that slavishly follows an 80's cartoon. I want the last 30 years of detail and improvements. So, for me, first version is superior. And, that's OK. We are allowed to disagree on this. It doesn't make either of us wrong.

Firstly, its an MP figure. To me, while the price is a factor, it shouldn't be the main issue. I don't buy MP figures because they are a bargain or in budget. I get them because they are the pinacle of the character for me.

Secondly, yeah. A new version will always make people turn on the previous one. MP-03 is a great figure. Having a second version doesn't suddenly make it worse. I repeat, MP-03 is aimed at display collectors, who want detail and realism and high end figures. MP-11 is aimed at cartoon character collectors who want robots on display that look like they stepped off the cel (which is what MP Hot Rod started, really). Some people will like both interpretations. Some will like only one.

Again, no. MP-03 is in no way obsolete. I still love it for the same reasons I loved it when I bought it. I have 20 versions of the first version in various colours. If I really did like MP-11 more then I could easily sell two or three and pick up MP-11 without any extra expense and still keep 17 of the first version.

But, you are right, anyone who doesn't agree with you must have an alternative reason for forcing themselves to have a different opinion to what is 'right'!