MP03 - Getting Better?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by AutobotEngineer, Nov 8, 2006.

1. AutobotEngineer

AutobotEngineer Highly Dubious

Hey guys,

After my the third crack in my otherwise perfect MP03, I emailed BBTS to ask about replacing him. They were very helpful, and willing to help me, and I'll be shipping my MP03 back to them in exchange for a new one shortly.

I'm just curious, has anyone gotten an MP03 replaced, or simply picked one up more recently, and not noticed the typical problems? I know I got a very early one, as did many people here, and I'm just curious to see if anyone has a potentially later model with some of the known issues fixed up.

2. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

Nah...
    Just transformed mine once, saw some minor stress marks and decided to pack him and to store him.

3. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I got mine recently and he's held up pretty good. Only one stress mark and in a typical location, not one I'm worried about breaking. It survived innitial transformation and retransformation to jet mode, haven't tried transforming it back yet. But there's only one paint chip, no broken parts or details, nothing missing.

4. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    I got mine right away, no real problems. Just the loose shoulder issue which was easily fixed by a few quick turns of a screwdriver, and the gap in jet mode which I think others have blown way out of proportion anyway.

Such a great figure. Not really durable enough to be played with [definitely not for little kids] but excellent for transforming and displaying in some cool [though a bit limited] poses.

5. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    hi! got mine last Friday and surely this is one owesome figure. I had my reservations before but I soon as I open and revome it from the package. Whoa... a thing of beauty. I was however, not without flaws.

- my MP-03's cockpit/nose portion does not lock down properly. It doesn't seem to have a lacking mechanism of some sort. Do have the same problem guys? Additionally, some parts doesn't seem to snug fit.
    But overall, I'm statisfied with the figure. Starscream looks awesome in both Jet and robot mode, plus you can remove the hip kibble (that's the lowest most part of the side tail fins that somehow mimics samurai holster or some sort)
    Hopefully Hasbro releases the original mould with the correct colors! That would be great!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    My MP03 cockpit does that, but not nearly as much as in your pic. Also the gap on the side everyone seems to have.

7. Tech Spec

Tech Spec Breeze Loo

News Credits:
    I was just missing a Null Ray which already got replaced. No noticable stress marks on mine from what I can see.

8. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hook and I were musing over that alignment problem pictured above awhile ago. I think the final conclusion is that Takara used springs that were too big/stretched out too far. This winds up pushing out the shoulders a bit.

Take out the screw that attaches his arm in place (you can get to it with a small screwdriver from his armpit), and snip the spring down by about one ring. It's a thick gauge of spring, so you're going to need some sturdy clippers. Once done, though, the ratchets will work properly, and the alignment should be fixed, for the most part.

9. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    thanks! mx-01 archon. Anyway did it fix your MP-03's alignment problem? Can't wait to perform your tip on my MP-03. How about the nose/cone/cockpit issue? Any recommendations?

10. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    I got a fairly early Starscream. I've transformed him a could of times, haven't noticed any problems, but I wasn't looking for stress marks very closely. However, the parts that people noted were tight on theirs aren't overly tight on mine.

Still, i'm somewhat disappointed in the feel of the plastic. It's so much lighter than MP-01's, which is why Starscream loses out in the durability. I can live without the die cast, but I wish they had used a sturdier grade of plastic for him.

11. AutobotEngineer

AutobotEngineer Highly Dubious

Thanks for the replies, guys. Hopefully I'll have better luck with my next MP03.

12. Overlord II

Overlord II Starscreamicon Leader TFW2005 Supporter

I received mine in excellent condition and the only flaw that I found was the not really lining up on the shoulders in jet mode.....other than that I think it's perfect.

13. Golgo-013

Golgo-013 The Professional

On the cracks, maybe your being too rough with it when you transform it. Ha, ha yeah right just kidding. It kills me when people try to make excuses for crappy plastic construction on a $100 toy.

Mine cracked 3 times as well, probably in the same spots as yours.
    [​IMG]

Also if you want to only replace the wing joints BBTS will send you just that part. On my replacement part the stress marks where the cracks happen where even larger. So the only sure way to prevent the cracks is to loosen that joint. I loosened mine so that it only requires minimal pressure to bend the wing joint. There is no chance of it cracking now and the wing joint is still snug so that it holds the wings up in bot mode normally.

The problem piece is the plastic link piece that connects the 2 wing pieces. Its too long/fat on the ends. So when you bend the wing joint, because there is no space, the link pushes out, cracking the pin hole open.
    [​IMG]

The ends of it are too big to fit through the wing slot without causing stress.
    [​IMG]

I know its not perfect, but you can remove material on the link to allow it to fit through the wing slot without stressing it.
    [​IMG]

14. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

I've been afraid to open mine because of all the issues. I guess I'll bite the bullet and open him when I get home. I bought mine from BBTS and Joel will make it right if it's messed up I suppose.

15. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

It looks like I may have to get my MP 03 from BBTS from all the problems associate with it. I may end up keeping it MISB because I'd hate to be afraid of playing with it and messed it up.

16. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    aside from some freakishly tight missile launcher flaps on the shoulder and somewhat rough paint on the shoulders #2 is fine.

Which is why i TFd it once and put it straight back in the box, never to be TFd again.

17. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Ow those cracks look pretty serious... I'll have to check my MP03 over for those.