MP-XX Perfect Ultra Magnus?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Insane Galvatron, May 29, 2006.

1. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Prime was released, people complained about the lack of a trailer. They still boght him because the robot/cab was still awesome. He still looked like his cartoon self because he never really used his trailer in the media.

Then we get Magnus. People liked it alot less. Unlike Prime, Magnus needed his trailer in order to be like the cartoon model. Even though it was a nice nod to the original toy, the concept of a "white Prime" was never used in media until DW did it. I guess the Pat Lee hatred tainted the idea ( I thought it was cool ). Magnus had less than stellar sales because quite frankly, he wasn't well received.

Now we have the announcement of Perfect Convoy. Rerelease of MP-01 with new trailer. Considering the price difference between Convoy alone and Convoy with trailer, the trailer is gonna cost about the same as Convoy. Meaning it should have alot of engineering in it making it super cool.

The point of this thread is to ask, do you think they'll announce a "Perfect Ultra Magnus" later in the line? How realistic is this possibility in the light of the latest announcement? If they put as much engineering in the trailer as they did the initial MP Convoy mold ( as the price would suggest they are doing for Prime ), it would most likely be pretty sweet. If they did do it, how many of you that passed on Magnus would now buy him with the awesome trailer armor?

Discuss.

2. Darkprime

Darkprime Antigrav Singular Destron

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There won't be one for a few reasons. For one, a great deal of engineering and thus cost would be required. Second, although magnus looks cool with his armor, his trailer remotely looks like a car carrier and thus I doubt anyone would but it on its own. And lastly, magnus himself sold well enough to sell it's limited run. If the main buyers are coming from those who own the cab but knowing that many will not buy a trailer (many with a prime cab would not buy a trailer if offered), then there's an even smaller pool who would buy it. From a financial perspective, making a magnus trailer sounds like a bad idea. But for the record, if they did offer one, I would buy it.

3. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    If sales of the new Convoy Perfect edition is a huge seller (sells out immediately and they do another run) there may be a good chance they do a trailer for Magnus down the road.

Personally, I wish they would release the trailers as seperate "figures" for those of us who already have the figures to then get the trailer ala WSTF Optimus & his trailer. Also have a set with both of them for those who need/want both.

4. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I haven't got time for that now!

Anyway, I passed on the ehobby UM and unless "Perfet Magnus" is..well, perfect, I won't have time for that either. :D 

5. Sculpt-bot

Sculpt-bot So waddya want, a medal?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If they did it, and it was in comparable quality to the figure itself, it would be a definite purchase.

6. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    I totally agree

7. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Ultra Magnus' trailer could actually be marketted fairly cheaply, if Takara changed the way that it interacts with Ultra Magnus. Rather than simply folding up around Magnus, it could be designed so that it attaches over the Magnus core body, in such a way that the core unit's poseability is retained for the new section.

The legs would be problematic, but the rest should be fairly simple to pull off. Plus it could all disassemble and build up his trailer that way.

It would not be perfect, but it's the only way I can see a Magnus trailer armour working. Even if another route were taken, some radical rethinking would need to be done in respect of everything from the waist down.

8. Eradicator

Eradicator I am Antithesis

I might consider buy a perfect Magnus if it was released, but I didn't really pass on Magnus because I didn't like him. It was mostly because I didn't have the money so it would depend on finaces at the time.

9. Sonscreen

Sonscreen Casual TF collector<br><b><font color=#FF0000>aksm TFW2005 Supporter

I would buy a Perfect Edition Ultra Magnus if they kept it around the same price as the Perfect Edition Convoy. If a fan made project (I think Mark's Projects??!??) can be done for $700, I think TakaraTomy's economies of scale can be done for a more reasonable price (at least I hope so).

10. Neomarsala

Neomarsala Transform and Roll Out

I would love to get a MP Perfect Ultra Magnus. It would kind of suck for those who bought the original MP Magnus though.

11. Viper_486

Viper_486 Cobraaa!

I would be all over that like lawyers at a traffic accident.
    I bought Magnus when he came out, (as that DW story arc with him rocked), but was more than disgusted with his accessories.
    As it is, his accs are still sealed in their baggie inside magnus' box, because Takara was so freaking lazy they couldnt even do new accs.
    YEah, if he comes out for 200, Ill get one, but he had darn well not better come with Convoy's accs. *period*
    No megatron repaint, no blue energon axe, and no Convoy blaster.
    Give him a MP version of his gol-durned G1 rifle!
    That being said, bring him on!
    If Marksprojects can pull it off for (a very unaffordable for my wallet) $700...I'd buy the legit version for $200 in a New York minute

12. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

Funny, that's almost a line-for-line description of the Mark's Projects trailer.

You know, the one that costs $700 or so.

Point being, someone's already done it, and if Takara's paying any attention, they oughta either buy the design outright, or copy it. (Either way, maybe they can tweak the fists so they're not so visible in trailer mode.)

-XCN-

13. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

I would be all over a real MP magnus.

14. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

blah. it would have to be fantastic

15. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm sure they could design it, but I don't think they will.

16. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Do good recklessly Veteran

Twitter:
    I don't think they'll do it.

But if they do, and it is reasonably well designed, I'd probably buy it. I did pass on the original Magnus, but there would be enough value added here to make it worthwhile I think.

17. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    So you dont think they can engineer it at almost the same cost to engineer Convoy? Convoy's trailer is almost doubling the price. If they can do him from scratch, surely a Magnus trailer could be done easier.
    That fact didn't stop Magnus from selling back in 1986 and it didnt' stop the reissue from flying off shelves ( and skyrocketing in price ).
    It wouldnt' be limited to just those that bought the first one. I'm talking a packaged together deal like MP-04. I think more people passed due to the lack of armor than would buy trailer alone. That's the market it'd hit. Just look at the posts in this thread of people that said they'd buy it.

I still think it's financially feasable to make, and marketable enough to sell. If TomyTakara has any lurkers at the boards, I hope they see this thread.

18. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I hope so too, cause I know I damn'd well would buy one. the lack of trailer/armor is the whole reason I didn't find him worth $100 and thus passed.

19. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Totally.

20. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Based on what they think the can charge for adding a trailer to Mp01.....

I dread to think what they'd expect for a Magnus trailer that
    would require some actual complexity of design.

I wouldn't be suprised if they do so mind you.