Heavy/Scratch: MP Wreck-Gar WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Tom_Servo, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Rodr-Evil

Rodr-Evil Anubicron TFW2005 Supporter

Holy shit! this MP WreckGar is fantastic!

2. Tom_Servo

Tom_Servo Well-read chick magnet

Ebay:
    Bellyboy- I am familiar with the twisty tendril technique, but the point is moot. I'm actually glad that I did the beard in putty now. I've got it painted up and it's looking pretty sharp. It doesn't flow like a mighty river anymore, but it is sharp.
    Rodr-Evil- Nothing flatters quite like profanity. Much thanks my man.
    Looks like I'll be wrapping this up pretty soon. After that it's on to my next big MP project. I'm not giving it away just yet, but stay tuned. Offer expires while you wait. Operators are standing by...

3. Tom_Servo

Ebay:
    Almost done!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Mid-transformation. No gerwalk jokes! ;) 
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The orange blew out really badly in the bike shots. It's not nearly this yellow in person.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I just finished his Armor Axe and it's holster! Just a few more finishing touches and I can do the final gallery!

Attached Files:

4. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh wow, this turned out great!!

5. Tom_Servo

Ebay:
    Still some detailing to go, but thank you so much! Wait till you see the axe!

6. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

amazing. i LOVE those tires.

cant wait to see the axe

7. kryptofred

kryptofred super-con

Ebay:
    GREAT GOOGALY-MOOGALY! This is FANTASTIC! I cannot believe how well this works. It's practically flawless. You, sir, are a genius and I bow to your superior engineering prowess :bowdown: 

Seriously, I still have the same grip about the size but theres nothing you can do about that. Other than that I'd buy one of these in an second!

8. Tom_Servo

Ebay:
    Thanks so much for all the replies and encouragement! It's a huge help on stuff like this!
    Before I post more updates, I'd like to give an little anatomy lesson, as this could be of help in the future.
    While working on Wreck-Gar, who is built on a knock off MP Prime, the ratchets in both upper knee joints broke rendering his legs somewhat floppy. I figure that since a 90% knee bend was never supposed to be art of his transformation this part was under-designed and the cheaper plastic of the KO couldn't handle the stress.
    I'm sure that most of us here know this, but a ratcheting joint involves two round parts with interlocking teeth and usually a spring behind one of them to keep the parts together while allowing enough give to turn.
    In Prime's case, one half of his upper knee joint (He has two knee joints, upper and lower) sits in a round hole with a pair of tabs that rest in slots to keep it from rotating.
    [​IMG]
    Both of these tabs broke off and the ratchet half was spinning freely giving no resistance.
    To fix this, I roughed the outside of the round part (to help it better take glue) and used Zap-A-Gap glue to glue it into it's slot. I took care to return the part to it's original position by aligning the breaks to where the slots where. If it was off it could have slightly affected how he stood. I also made sure to spin the part a bit to get an even coating of glue. Unlike Krazy Glue, Zap-A-Gap gives you a second before it sets up. I screwed the thigh back together to let the glue set for a few hours. It stuck a bit when I tried to pull it apart, but luckily nothing broke, and I was able to reassemble his legs with no problem and he's standing perfectly.
    [​IMG]
    I have no way of knowing how long this fix will last, but it should be repeatable if the glue ever breaks.

Attached Files:

9. Grimlocka go-go

Grimlocka go-go Back from the Dead TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That is extreamly impressive and very origional, great work man, very very cool.

10. Tom_Servo

Ebay:
    Thanks Grim!

And now, in my best Scottish brogue, MY AXE!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I made the blade by gluing tapering layers of styrene together, scraping and sanding the edges as smoothly as I could. I then fillied in the gaps with Quikwood and sanded it smooth. The handle was done with varying gauges of tubing. It looks a little green in the pic, but there's a layer of red under there with lots of dirt and silver scuffing over top.

Attached Files:

11. bellyboy

bellyboy working working working

News Credits:
    it turns better then i expectted

:) 

me likey

12. blackjkb

blackjkb Banned

this is awsome...but the paper parts...not so much...

13. Tom_Servo

Ebay:
    There aren't any paper parts anymore. Those were just in the planning stages. It's all plastic now. So I'll take your compliment to mean that it's all awesome!

"Or your money Baaaaaaaaaaack!"

14. Dran0n

Dran0n miss me w/ that

News Credits:
    Looks pretty cool!