Heavy/Scratch: MP Ultra Magnus cardboard armor

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by hthrun, Apr 4, 2011.

1. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    The armor does NOT transform into the trailer. The trailer and armor pictured are two separate projects...

Kind of like I did with my MP Optimus Prime trailer here, I wanted to give the cardboard trailer that came with MP Ultra Magnus working wheels. I took the wheels from one of the cars that came with the cheap trailer I used in the Prime project. I had to cut up and tape together the base so it would fit UM's trailer. I also then reinforced the trailer with cardboard pieces. (The fixed trailer isn't pictured, but it looks pretty much the same as before except with different wheels.)

Before assembling the cardboard trailer, I made laminated color copies of it to use for creating cardboard armor for Ultra Magnus. If anyone else would like to try this, I have the copies available in a Photobucket album. They just need to be resized to fit an 8.5" x 11" piece of paper. (I used several pieces more than once in the armor.) I also have the pic I used for UM's head there...

Attached Files:

2. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    I wouldn't dare doing what you did I hate paper/cardboard :D  you've got some balls!

3. vidmouse

vidmouse Well-Known Member

Overall, this is pretty slick. Great job

4. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    clever.

5. hthrun

Ebay:
    :lol 

Thanks guys!

6. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

Interesting

7. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Fiberglass or some brush on resin would make the thing plastic and more durable but as is I love it. Paper isn't the easiest to work with sometimes.

8. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    That is really really creative. And surprisingly, from a distance, accurate. I mean, it LOOKS like UM's armor. Any thoughts of going back to it with styrene?

9. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Of course, the beauty of working with card is that it's a lot cheaper and easier to replace if anything happens; I've got a couple of armour-like kits I'm working on, and it's really helpful to start with a card mock-up.

If it works, you can either use it as a guide to build a proper one, or even texture it on your computer, and print out as many as you like!

By the way... very cool. :) 

10. hthrun

Ebay:
    Thanks! Yeah, I really have to give a lot of credit to Takara. They didn't just slap together colors and designs in the most visible places. They went all out and even included details like the glider on his chest. Seeing that is what inspired me to try this.

I probably won't be going back to this. My TF preference since then has shifted greatly. I used to like CHUG and movie toys about equally, now I like the movie ones much more and focus mainly on them...

11. Huy WaH Woo

Huy WaH Woo Bumble-HuY

Ebay:
    Great work HThrun

12. hthrun

Ebay:
    Thanks Tuan! I should dig this guy out of storage and see if anyone would like to buy him... :)