MP Transformers Sales

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by unmc2001, Jun 20, 2010.

1. unmc2001

unmc2001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just curious if there are any sales numbers available on the various MP figures from Hasbro and Takara. It seems to me that they are not profitable figures for the companies even with the higher price tag. In the USA stores had to Discount MP Skywarp in order to unload them which probably means we will not get a US Thundercracker release. The only MP figure I felt was expensive was Takara Grimlock but it still did not keep me from buying it. Even with the USA Grimlock coming out I do not regret getting Takaras version as I believe in supporting the MP line so they will keep it going. I would think an MP version of characters like Bumblebee, Soundwave, Shockwave, Ironhide or Jazz would be easy sales but Takara/Hasbro obviously believe otherwise. Does anyone think it would be more realistic for Takara to release future MPs in limited numbers at a higher price point so they do not have to discount them in order to get collectors to buy them? Maybe there are not enough collectors that would be willing to pay a price like $150-250 for an MP version of Soundwave, Bumblebee or Ironhide even if they were released in limited quantities like 500-1000 pieces.

2. Grimlockprime16

Grimlockprime16 Me Grimlock King!

I would so buy an MP Soundwave and Shockwave :D 

3. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Takara has no problem selling them.

Mass release does cause it's still a 70+ dollar toy.

4. unmc2001

News Credits:
    So Takara MP do not have to discount price like the USA MP versions do?

5. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    There's your problem.

6. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's not really the case. When I was in Japan, I picked up Thundercracker on clearance.

That 'clearance' was about $80-$90, but still :D .

One thing that I noticed, though, is that stores that sell TFs are in places where the store will be frequented by people that will buy them. It isn't like here, where you could go to almost any store you want and pick up a Transformer. It took me forever to find a place to get them (I got some good suggestions from fellow members on here, but being in a group I couldn't exactly go off on my own).

7. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, Takara probably sells more because they are never in Hasbro's position. They release the toy first and people from around the world scramble to import it.

Whereas Hasbro releases the figure a year or so after Takara does, forcing them to play catch up. Plus, a lot of people are financially strapped and don't have that extra 70 in the bank account to purchase toys.

For Example me... I already imported Grimlock. Will I buy Hasbro's? Nope...

8. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    Takara and Hasbro aren't losing any money with the MP line. If they were they wouldn't continue to make them. Takara and Hasbro sell loads of them. They're probably not as profitable as the main line toys but they're profitable non the less. If anything they're made to throw us collectors a bone. Keep us happy.

9. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This.

10. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    I look at it from the parents view.

You walk into a Walmart,Target and TRU and don't want to buy a fragile toy for $70.

Toys like Ultimate BB and Devs sold cause they don't break if you drop it.

11. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    First MP prime sold pretty well

second one BOMBED

this caused starscream to not be ordred much, making a shortage

demand increases and wal-marts demanded tons of Skywarps, which was overstocked

Grimlock is the first TRU one

12. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    man, back when MP Magnus was first released, stores in japan had a lot of trouble selling it. friends sent me pictures of it sitting in discounted toy bins, shrink wrapped to other toys for like, 4200 yen, and still not selling.

Then it suddenly got in high demand, and now it sells out constantly. I don't get it.

13. keebs

keebs 32 Oh-Zee Killah

A lot (not all) of overstocked items have the same outcome. When they disappear, the demand goes up. RiD Brave Max anyone?

14. UKBrawn

UKBrawn No arms just CLAWS!!

I think they just take a lot of time to plan and produce, There as always been a big gap between new molds. I reckon it will be Hot Rod or Soundwave.

I think the sell pretty well except as said by other posters with the mess up in US retail versions.

15. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    I do love these threads where people determine their expectations first, then work backwards in an attempt to justify them.

They tried to get licensing rights from VW and Porsche during the early stages of the Alternators line. Neither company was co-operative.

16. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    I think skywarp sold really well in my area. They were long gone before those clearances started. Though I wonder how much of that was just Christmas Happy Parents grabbing a big expensive Transformer with Devastator Sold out.

There was this guy last year at my walmart just getting into the hobby and asked if he should get ROTF Jetfire or masterpiece skywarp. (full price skywarp) I told him about both. and after browseing the aisles for a bit he came back and said he decided to go with skywarp. Because of the Detailed features and being the G1 Character. Could tell he was into because of fandom for the old cartoon.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  17. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] BATTLE GAIA!

News Credits:
    It depends, really on a person's taste. :D 

I hated MP-05 Megatron, sold it for cheap and there were other interested parties.

So, the answer to your question is "not necessary!" :lol 

18. unmc2001

News Credits:
    I am not sure how the licensing works. If they can do the g1 reissues of Jazz and Bumblebee why couldn't they do an MP The MP would be similar looking to the G1 in Alt mode.

19. UKBrawn

UKBrawn No arms just CLAWS!!

I really like Megatron! He's probably my second favourite after Prime. The whole thing is just so damn clever.

20. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't know about Porsche but it seems like VW/Audi has lighten up since the Alternator days. I didn't know this but the Audi in ROTF (sideways?) was officially licensed. So maybe they should ask again? However... I don't really care for a BB Masterpiece, give me another Season 1 Autobot/Decepticon.