Minor/Repaint: MP Sideswipe: Turning Lemons into Lemonade

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by payton34, May 23, 2011.

1. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Okay, I originally purchased this custom about two and a half years ago from a customizer that will remain unnamed, because he has since gone on to rip me off (as well as other members) out of hundreds/thousands of dollars. Anywho, here is the "before" photo:

[​IMG]

The engineering is nice, and there were LED's installed in the head, but a few things have always bugged me. The torso is WAAAYYYY to tall, and there's virtually ZERO paint apps on here. So with these glaring imperfections, and the fact that every time I looked at it I wanted to throw it out the window because of the bad memories it conjured up, I intended on selling it. Well, after a couple of days on the Ebay auction block, I thought to myself "Wait a minute, I bought this before I started customizing, maybe I can do something to improve it and put my own personal touch on it, so I can tolerate it more and keep it in my collection."

So, I lowered the torso by about a half-inch (I wanted to trim another 1/4 inch or so, but transformation wouldn't allow), removed the gimmicky LED's from the head and added a few paint details here and there (based on Dan Khanna's art, seen here: http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs44/i/2009/124/e/7/G_1_Sideswipe_by_Dan_the_artguy.jpg)

So, without further adieu, here is the "new" version of MP Sideswipe.

(Dan's artwork)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Whatcha think? See if you can spot the differences from the old and new versions.

Attached Files:

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    It would look a lot better if his midsection was bulked out and white - maybe something like how MP Megs works in his midsection. A shorter neck would help a lot too.

The neck is the worst part, now that I look at it more. It's just weird looking.

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  3. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Payton, normally I like your work, but i gotta say: this one's still a lemon. A juicier, riper lemon, but still a lemon.

The neck is also way too long. :( 

4. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    it's lemon extract :( 

good try, but I know 10000% you can do better ;)  keep it man!!!

5. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

It's a nice piece despite its flaws.

6. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I think it's a bit disingenuous to trash this piece just because the original customizer is apparently a douchebag. Despite some proportion flaws (something that bugged me back when this piece first debuted), it really is nice work.

Payton, I think you took the right route, seeing if you can mod this thing to improve on it. It's looking nice, but I have to agree with many of the others... that long, skinny neck has got to go. Even if you can't mount the neck lower, perhaps you can hollow out the head and enlarge the neck opening so the balljoint settles inside the head, and covers some of that expanse of neck. I think it will do wonders for the overall effect.

zmog

7. phoenixliger

phoenixliger Ogre

Ebay:
    I agree with Zmog on Sideswipe here but after taking a second look at it him. The head looks a bit small too i dont know how good the head is attached on him but i would try using alternators side swipe head just to see if that feels more accurate and then you can go from there good luck fixing him

8. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Your version looks a lot better, colors wise, but the proportions are still off as others have mentioned. That neck has REALLY got to go, along with the oversized cannon. Both are rediculously large compared to both the rest of the figure and the original art as well (Plus the cannon looks nothing like the art). I also think the head could be changed as well. From the looks of things, the face is the original MP Starscream's face, which I can understand considering how I can see that mold being the basis of this reborn custom. However, either it needs to go or the helmet needs to go, as that face is just too small for the helmet.

It's okay, overall, but this honestly pales in comparison to some of your other stuff, especially your MP Fort Max. If you have the ball bearings to pull THAT off, then you can go so much further with this MP Sideswipe.

9. payton34

News Credits:
    Yeah going back and looking at it again, I'll definitely revisit the neck. Ultimately there's only so much I can do to a preexisting figure without just scratchbuilding one myself (and reshells are not my specialty).

10. GrandMaXimus

GrandMaXimus Party in my tummy!!! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    If your Maximus build is any indication, a chopped of neck is nothing. Cut it and glue it. Done. Probably look 10x better. At least you got yours.:cry 

11. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Sorry but it still needs so some more work.

12. Alloy Alchemist

Alloy Alchemist Decepticon sympathizer

I agree with others,shorten the neck/diffrent head,and now that you have made the mid section smaller i think all else is good. I had wondered why the auction ended early....

and p.m. if you want an alt. side swipe head for free,i'll donate it to THIS fo'sho'

13. SSR

SSR Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    the torso was a VAST improvement. still i think if you can make it a bit more chunkier that is what i would like in the sideswipe MP idea. also the neck like everyone else has mentioned is still too long.

if you ever do list this for real on ebay i will buy it.

thanks!

14. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I disagree with anyone who suggests changing up the head. Arguably, the head is the best part of this custom. The helmet design is superior to just about any other Sideswipe out there (Alternators or Classics, Hasbro keeps screwing it up) and it's just about the perfect size for the rest of the figure in my opinion. Even the guns look fine to me.

Just ask G1 Sideswipe what he thinks... :) 
    [​IMG]

After all, he is one of the best-proportioned 1984 designs to begin with. I think the long neck is throwing off the sense of proportion in peoples' eyes, so once that is fixed, we'll have a better idea of how fitting the head is.

One note though... if that face is made from MP Starscream's face... you might want to consider swapping it with the other MP Starscream face (if possible). After all, a crooked grin fits Sideswipe's personality so much better than blank serenity. ;) 

zmog

15. payton34

News Credits:
    Ha, well "technically" this is the first one that was on Ebay. I, like you, never got what I actually commissioned for...:( 

16. strata32000

strata32000 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    The new adjustments make this look a lot better.

The head I feel looks good but the raised section of plastic where the neck post is
    located is to high.

I don't know if you can grind that down and create a new post for it without it
    altering your transformation.

This figures is still worth saving.
    If you don't mind me asking how much did you spend on this guy?

17. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

How can it pale in comparison to his other stuff when he wasn't even the original artist? Payton's just trying to tweak it for the sake of improvement.