MP Sideswipe Is The Right Size!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Movie PRIME, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Movie PRIME

Movie PRIME Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ok so in the news thread about the upcoming MPs I keep seeing people say that MP Sideswipe is not the right size. They say he is to small, and that he is out of scale.

The thing is he's not! The cars have always been much smaller, and here is a shot from the show, and a scale chart to prove it.

First is an interview with Shogo Hasui http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...9-takaratomy-staff-interview-masterpiece.html

Second is this screen cap from the show.
    [​IMG]

Third is the scale chart that they seem to be using to mark the scale of the new MPs. If you line up Rodimus, Optimus, Starscrem, Sideswipe, and Soundwave on the chart you will see that they are in the same scale as the new MPs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If anything Sideswipe may be to large! LoL.

Thanks
    Movie Prime

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  2. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    The scale guide has been pointed to before.

But people who don't want to listen, still won't listen.

3. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Despite having to make concessions over scale - as well as throwing it completely out the window at times - I've always accepted the Autobot cars as being significantly smaller than Prime. Just like Grimlock towering over Prime in the cartoon, Prime towers over the likes of Sideswipe, Sunstreaker, Mirage, Wheeljack, etc.

Hell, even if MP-12 was the same height as MP-10, I wouldn't give a shit.

4. Movie PRIME

Movie PRIME Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah that's why I added the shot from the show. That way they can see him as he was, and not just on some dry scale.

5. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    I guess we can definitely rule out a MP Skyfire & Omega Supreme LOL. I still dream of a G1 articulated Omega supreme :cry 

6. Peanut04

Peanut04 Under Construction

News Credits:
    I've seen the scale, but the screenshot from the cartoon really drives it home that they are getting the scale correct, good job. The thing for me is I'm not a scale nut. I like scale, but it doesn't make or break it for me, that's why it would be nice to see Sideswipe being a little taller. I just like bigger figures in general. Regardless, it is a very small complaint about a great looking figure that I can't wait to get.

7. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love it. The direction the mp line is going is absolutely beautiful.

8. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    It's not totally cut & dried, because all sort of liberties got taken with size & scale in the cartoon - but yes, it's mostly consistent, and I certainly don't get why some folks are griping that MP Sideswipe is "small".

I suppose one question is will we see taller-than-MP-10 MPs? The new Megatron ought to be a fraction taller. Ultra Magnus should be. Grimlock certainly should be - I wonder if he might get an update further down the line after all?

I'm also assuming Jetfire is probably out tho (or at least, an properly "in scale" one is out), because of how big & therefore expensive he would have to be... but never say never..

9. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't doubt TakaraTomy at all when they said they will scale the newer MPs. I know it's just toys but it's the mentality and ethos of a Japanese company to do what they say.

I really can't wait to see more of the season 1 & 2 cast. I just hope they can get the license for the various cars like Bumblebee, Jazz etc.

10. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

They can't listen. Because they can only read here.

11. Peanut04

Peanut04 Under Construction

News Credits:
    I'm happy with the size of Grimlock currently. Ultra Magnus can gain a nice height from his armor, Megatron needs a redo something awful. I pray there is a Jetfire, he is one of my favorite characters.

The complaints about Sideswipes size is probably just more of a price issue, I think it's just that he is $80-ish and is only slightly larger than a deluxe. Personally I think the price may have something to do with the Lamborghini license. Who knows, but I don't care if he is expensive. I'll gladly pay as long it helps to make sure the Masterpiece line continues. My only issue with the height and it has nothing to do with scale, is I just like large figures more than small ones.

12. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    Yeah, but the problem there is that the continuity of scale in the show was, hmmm... barely exsistant. Not only could it change drastically from episode to episode, but a lot of times within the same episode!

That having been said, I'm no hater of the MP scale... but to say that one shot from one episode proves that the scale of the MP line is perfect is, well, a bit of a stretch.

13. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    This was ever in question?

Of course he's the right size, why else would he be smaller? The MP line looks like it's going for a deffinative in-scale robot mode approach starting as far back as the first MP Starscream.

But there was an average, and the average says that yes, he should be that height.

14. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]

15. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    Curious is MP-10 smaller than MP Grimlock?

16. chrisr291

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, I took a couple of photos

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Does somebody have pics of
    Mp 10 with any binaltech/alternators????
    Trying to figure out how sideswipe scales with them

18. chrisr291

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^^

I don't have any, sorry :( 

Just a question to everyone concerned with size. Is that the make or break issue with this figure or the entire line in general?

As a 80's kid, I'm used to Transformers being way out of scale lol! I'm I right fellas? Who remembers watching the cartoon and saying, "Hey... Why is Blaster taller than well... EVERYONE" lol

You couldn't even fight Blaster against Soundwave!

19. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd much rather they have everything scale as accurate as possible to the cartoon in robot mode instead of everyone being the same height. Leads to a more dynamic looking display, I think.

20. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Scale is not a deal breaker for me as long as its not totally off. For example, as long as a smaller character's toy is smaller than a larger character, I'm fine with it.