Heavy/Scratch: MP Shockwave - WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by TigerBlade, Apr 12, 2012.

1. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    So you may or may not know that I have moaned and cried for this figure on and off since I joined. My fave character by a country mile and one of the few I never got when a kid when wanted. I was content on waiting for a hopeful third party release after the not MP Soundwave but after seeing the awesome Thyvipera version I just had to have a stab so I ordered the most excellently coloured 'Handarm Passes' KO Shockwave.....first thing I did was replace his head with an Alt Shockblast head:

[​IMG]

After chopping his ridiculous trigger crotch out and lining up the seeker waist, taking out the crappy moulded hand and attaching a seeker hand:

[​IMG]

At this point I was a little worried he was gonna look top heavy, but after shaving off some of the inside of his lower legs I'm now here:

[​IMG]

So thoughts on leg thickness? I reckon it looks bang on but before I glue down I want this to be absolutely perfect so just want to make sure it's not looking too big/fat.

Oh and this is his old Handarm head before he crushes it himself!

[​IMG]

The other thing I'm wondering is whether or not to go cartoon or toy. Keep the hose above the forearm and slap a 'con symbol on his chest or have the hose under the forearm and have the 'con logos on each arm.....

Attached Files:

2. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

This looks awesome, but can I have the Handarm head?

3. Notilator

Notilator Xenomorph4

Very nice :D  I realy like the purportions and overall shape and look of him, too many MP shockwaves suffer from long-crotch syndrome or something of the sorts :S although I would suggest making the head a bit bigger, but I can't wait to see him all painted up :D 

4. konrathink

konrathink Jared Magnus

The legs look good to me. If anything, the head seems a bit small for the body. It just seems like a Deluxe head on a Voyager body.

5. TigerBlade

News Credits:
    Cheers guys, just needed a few confirmations regarding legs so I'll get cracking over the weekend to finish it off. Regards the head your definitely right.....it's from Alt Shockblast so the base figure is smaller, not sure if I could bulk it up tho? Either that or keep an eye out for a G1 junker.

6. OOSnake

OOSnake Well-Known Member

Looking good so far. I like seeing figures before they're completed. That head does look too small, I'd suggesting replacing it.

7. LamboTwinLove

LamboTwinLove Lambo Assassin

Go toon!!

He's looking good so far. I looked at the G1 Shockwave and I dunno if his head will be much bigger...

8. OptimusTimelord

OptimusTimelord Masterpiece Reanimator

Nice so far. As Notilator says, most customs seem to attach the seeker crotch slightly too far down and end up not looking quite right; this looks perfect. I'd say for the lower legs make them as narrow as you can, simply because the seeker thighs are already slim and could end up overwhelmed by big chunky shins. Are you planning on keeping him transformable?

And I'd also prefer a G1 head (the Alt one is more 'square' which I think is why it's looking small). But good work! :thumb 

9. TigerBlade

News Credits:
    Cheers! It's weird because I can so see the small side in the pic but stood here on the desk it doesn't look as bad.....might be the angle I dunno....but I will definitely be keeping an eye out for a G1 head. 'Till then it'll have to do.

Cheers man, he should transform so will have a chunky hand grip.....but yeah the skinny seeker thighs were my main worry however I think it's about bang on now. I've seen so many MP Shockwave's that seem to have lower legs too thick or waists too long and it throws the whole thing off. Gonna be looking for some matt plum later today before getting the leg parts into place.

Oh I've worked on styrene finally OT! Mirage is sitting waiting to be decal'd but that styrene weld stuff is witchcraft!! If I could use that with all scratch builds I'd be laughing!

10. OptimusTimelord

OptimusTimelord Masterpiece Reanimator

Ha ha, yeah it's amazing for joining styrene to styrene. Can't wait to see your Mirage! :thumbs2: 

11. Wikkid

Wikkid Semi-retired customizer

I believe this is an example of how to make a silk purse out of a sows ear. You've got his proportions bang on. Once the head is replaced with an original, I think it'll be perfect.

12. TigerBlade

News Credits:
    Cheers man, good news is another Shockwave is on the way so the head is sorted. I was gonna build his feet pretty much out of styrene but now I'm gonna wait and use the other Shockwave's feet and build around 2 pairs on each foot.....that seems to be the best/easiest way looking at past scratch builds of this figure. I'm also planning on make two sets of arms seeing as I have another coming in. Both will have the detailing on the outer arm as it bugs me when I have the hose under to go for 'toon accuracy the detailing is facing inwards......the only issue my mild OCD has with that is to cover the toy version he needs a 'con logo on his chest.....which isn't there in the cartoon.....a swivel panel in his chest would cure that but my scratch skills don't go that far! I guess I could experiment on the spare chest that is incoming.

He is also now plum coloured!! Barfwave is no more! I'll try and get some more WIP pics later this afternoon when he is not in pieces.

13. TigerBlade

News Credits:
    OK update time.

Just gotta styrene fill his legs and then just a matter of waiting for the junker Shockwave to arrive to finish off the feet, change the head and use the original clear plastic thing on his chest. (His shoulders are up whilst the gun metal dries)

[​IMG]

I need a better camera! The different silvers and purples look washed out.

14. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

looking great man, love that purple!

15. TigerBlade

News Credits:
    Cheers man, your my inspiration!

I've updated the last pic as I don't think it was that good, used a different phone with a better cam. Gonna try drybrushing for the first time on his silver side sections on his legs......

16. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Thing looks awesome. I think you could probably make this one transform.

Great job! Cannot wait to see this completed.

17. TigerBlade

News Credits:
    Cheers man, he should transform no probs.....just will have a thick hand grip.

18. Alucard77

News Credits:
    I see from your Sig, you almost finished him, where are the updated pics? Or are you waiting for the head.

Fucking awesome looking btw.

Between you and Optimus Timelord, I am a freaking Radicon groupie.

19. TigerBlade

News Credits:
    lol well spotted! :D 

His new head is currently drying along with his new front chest section which I hopefully (if it all drys right tonight) have worked out a revolving section to show/unshow a 'con symbol (Optimus Timelord gave me the idea originally with my Bumblebee to hide/unhide the Autobot chest symbol between car and robot but since I made him an action master it became defunct). If all goes well he can be display as he is now in my sig (albeit with a bigger head) ala cartoon.....or with his arms swivelled with hose pointing upwards and a logo on his chest like the toy. If you look closely you'll see his upper torso isn't actually stuck to the waist yet....it's a little skewed....that's because of what I have planned. One way or the other he'll be finished tomorrow.

I personally prefer the cartoon look but it's nice to have options :D 

20. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Any options their to make me one? LOL.