Mp rodimus vs tfc protector

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by KA, Feb 2, 2011.

1. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    This thread is a place for ppl to chime in, especially those who have both, whether one is a better buy/toy than the other.

Discuss.

2. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Why not have both.

I think the MP looks better, the FP is more durable.

3. ssancho

ssancho Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    +1

4. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    I am actually going to throw a curve here as well and say I want Igear to do a smaller sized version of the Masterpiece.

5. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    FP Protector+Hasbro MP Hot Rod=Best bang for my buck.

6. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ditto.

7. ssancho

ssancho Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    But Hasbro one isnt out and has yet to be announced.

8. 03Mach1

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's not out yet but it was announced in the Club magazine that it would be released by Hasbro sans trailer.

9. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    Waiting for the fp (oops, think i misnamed the title) version, but for some whos choosing one over the other (as per related threads) i thought this might be helpful.

10. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    While I can certainly see the point and intent of this thread, it's like comparing apples and oranges. They're two totally different things altogether, aside from both representing Rodimus.

I think one would have to determine the intent of what they want said Rodimus to be for their collection. For instance, the "Protector" goes well on my Classics-Generations shelf, but MP Rodimus would have no place. MP Rodimus, on the other hand, for my collection would either go on a shelf with other incarnations of Rodimus on just on a shelf by itself.

I guess for me, I can't see picking one over the other based on any other criteria.

11. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] BATTLE GAIA!

News Credits:
    Imma greedy SOB and want both. :D 
    But FP's protector has to come in April..:lol 

12. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Honestly.. as much as I'd hate to admit this, but I would too. I think what Igear id with Prime was a small step forward. I wouldn't mind seeing a smaller MP Roddy, if they did it, and made it slightly more durable than what people are saying the MP Rod is, I'd be down. Shoot, a smaller version of him with his Matrix bearing Rodimus mode being AS TALL AS Convoy would rock. That would possibly make him small enough in Hot Rod mode to fit in with the classics or maybe even G1 lines.

13. PowermasterJazz

PowermasterJazz Well-Known Member

I'm putting my MP Rodimus with my Generations figures....he's a perfect match in height with G1 Galvatron too

14. leov36

leov36 Rubber Wheel'd UM

FP rodimus is a very cool piece and has an awesome design. But for the collector who likes officially liscensed toys, and a g1 accurate design (like myself), MP is the way to go. I dont think I'll ever get the FP Protector since I dont really own any classics figures for him to go with, and he really doesnt remind me of rodimus prime.

15. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    Although I'm getting both, I personally prefer the aesthetics of the Protector set. I just like my bots chunky.

16. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    getting the habro version of mp, and already have protector, like the durability of fp's and i like the looks of the mp, mp will go on the mp shelf, protector hangs with the classics

17. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] BATTLE GAIA!

News Credits:
    ^As in G1-esque chunk?! :D 

18. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think both have their pros and cons, but seeing as I only have protector my opinion might not be the most informed compared to some others.

Robot Mode

MP Rodimus is the most iconic figure I have ever seen of the character. The sculpting, the paint, everything about it screams Hot Rod and every time I see him I can't help but hear "Dare" in my head. I just love the look of the pipes on his arms and the shape of that spoiler. I get a Last action Hero vibe where the dude just walks right out of the screen.

Protector is a nice modernization of the character but he does have a couple of flaws. My biggest complaints are the head and the chest. The head seems a little too big and there is something about the face that is just off to me. I like how the 3D flames are executed on the chest, but something about them remind me of Razorclaw.

Alt Mode

For me Protector takes the cake. I always thought the classics mold was a beautiful update to the G1 figure. Throw in a trailer with all kinds of sculpted detail that give it a new spin on his flames, I just really dig the look of it.

The MP version is nice in both modes, and while Hot Rod mode is pretty rad, the Rodimus mode is kind of boring with all of that flat boring plastic. In all fairness though, that is what G1 Rodimus looked like.

Transformation

This is a tricky comparison to make. The Classics version of Hot Rod was designed pre movie and a lot of that figures engineering is based on what Hastak learned from the Cybertron line. So by today's standards it feels a little dated and has really poor articulation. The actual upgrade kit is also pretty boring since it is basically a partsforming box, nothing really interesting happens, but it is cool to see how different Hot Rod and Rodimus are.

The MP version has what appears to be a needlessly overly complicated transformation considering the source material it is based off of really is not that complex. MP Megatron was a little bit of a different story since they wanted to fit a similarly sized robot as MP Prime into a compact gun mode that had both modes look just like the original. Now I love the lengthy transformations, MP Megatron, ROTF Leader Prime, WFC Optimus, they all work for me and I love them. Rodimus just feels like they went overboard, he reminds me of some of the Alternators, cool to look at in either mode, not so fun to transform.

Accessories

FP has that cool ass Roller. Not much else needs to be said really. I love him.

MP Rodimus is kind of meh. I do like his features a lot, saw blade, Matrix, combining guns, and his flip down visor, but I do wish he came with something a little more. I loved the little quirky super specific accessories the previous MP figures came with and I can't help but wish he came with a little Daniel or fishing rod.

Value

This is kind of a tough call to make. On one hand if you already had a Classics Hot Rod you paid retail for back in 06, Protector is a phenomenal deal. It adds so much to a figure that in all honesty is pretty boring. That being said if you are one of the poor souls who are trying to track one down now, especially the Henkei, $50 to $100 for a mediocre deluxe is a bit much and then close to another hundred for the add on set and then another $10 for Sidearm.

While a lot of dudes are paying $200 for MP Rodimus, we need to keep in mind that a portion of that cost for a lot of folks is importing it from Japan. So from what I understand, he is only like $160 or so over there.The nice thing about the MP version is he comes all packaged in one nice box and is an officially made product. He is also a significantly larger figure with more moving parts.

However, that being said Protector probably has a much smaller production run (like 2000) where as MP Rodimus is probably in the tens of thousands, you can walk into TRU and buy this dude. Not to mention he will probably see a rerelease down the road and I would imagine at some point Hasbro will release it too.

For me six months ago, I was all about MP Rodimus and I was going to pass on Protector. It wasn't about money or anything, I just thought Protector looked a little lame. Once I saw the reviews though, I knew I had to pick one up. I am a man who likes to transform his Transformers and I think MP Rodimus fails on that front. I collect enough static $200 action figures as it is with my 1/6 collection, the only time I touch any of my rubber bodied Hot Toys figures is to dust them off. I was hoping for more from him I guess.

I think no matter which way you go, if you love Hot Rod, you will be happy. I chose the more playable one that fits in with the current collector driven line at retail, but I do see the appeal of the ultimate collectible of the character and I am really sad that he turned out as fragile as he did.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  19. 03Mach1

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This post is full of so much logic and rationale it deserves an award. Thanks for posting it.
    :thumb 

20. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    Indeed. I really want both.

Protector because he gots in with my classics toys and is a great looking and quality add on for a 3rd party product. But if I'm looking for some ultimate representation of the characters I gotta go with masterpiece. The toy is dead on accurate in ALL modes, great size, and complex.

If I had to choose one id choose MP Rodimus though. No contest