Heavy/Scratch: MP Ratchet

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Tom_Servo, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Tom_Servo

Tom_Servo Well-read chick magnet

Ebay:
    On the heels of my almost-completed MP Ironhide is my MP Ratchet. Since a lot of his anatomy is copied from Ironhide's, his assembly is going a lot faster. The second time around I'm also fixing a lot of the little glitches that creeped into IH. This is by design. I knew the second one I made would be a lot cleaner, and that better suits Ratchet than Ironhide. They've both seen plenty of action, but I see IH as being more reckless and less fussy about his repairs.
    Ratchet will also have a lot of unique features. The most noticeable will be a big roof extension that will make him look like a real ambulance and not just a white van.
    I made a mold of Ironhide's head and face to speed the process along. I've resculpted both to give them their own looks and feel. To get the right shape on his forehead crest, I cut two pieces of styrene into the shape I needed and laid them over a glob of quick-setting epoxy putty (Mighty Putty). This way I didn't need to worry about keeping the surface flat as I worked, and I could focus on the overall shape. When they were in the right place I went back in with Quikwood putty to smooth it out, because it's easier to carve and sand than the harder Mighty Putty. I also rounded out Ratchet's mohawk crest to give him a different feel from IH.
    In the face I made the eyes bigger and gave him a look the was less aggressive and more tired and worried.
    I'm keeping my options open in regards to paint scheme. I'll probably keep it close to the cartoon look, but touches of the modern comics might creep in too.
    By the way, is anyone else noticing that Mighty Putty is getting harder to find? I think American might have figured out that the stuff is actually a really horrible way to fix a pipe or hang a shelf, and it's moment might be over.

Attached Files:

2. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    that head is ssooooooo nice!!

3. KINGBOTZ

KINGBOTZ www.KINGBOTZ.com TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I second that, awesome job on the head-sculpt! Will be damn cool to see these guys side-by-side when they're done.

4. Tom_Servo

Ebay:
    Thanks guys!

5. compute146

compute146 Well-Known Member

awesome awesome awesome tom, looking dam perfect!!!!
    all the best
    colin

6. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I was hoping you'd do Ratchet--Ironhide is coming along great also. That head sculpt is great. I'm still amazed at how well that A-Team van lends itself to Ironhide and Ratchet like this. Great stuff, Dave!

7. Alloy Alchemist

Alloy Alchemist Decepticon sympathizer

you know i've been waiting to see something on this Tom....looks awesome, like i knew it would

8. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They look good but I keep seeing trailbreaker everytime I look at them and I think if you did one of him like that it'd rock.

9. Tom_Servo

Ebay:
    Thanks everyone! I'm hoping to have some more to show off soon.
    Fishdirt- An MP Trailbreaker definately isn't as scary to me anymore. I don't have any immediate plans, but I would like to try it some day.

10. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    looking great. we totally need to have a sit around and bash day.

11. Wheel_Jack

Wheel_Jack pitying fools

Ebay:
    I much prefer ratchets deco over ironhide's. I mean how many red G1 autobots can you take? :)  This will be great to see through servo. that head is sweeet.
    btw, picked up toyfare with your little ditty in it. :) 

12. Tom_Servo

Ebay:
    Maximo- Any time man. You can collect your skeleton tank. At this rate it will be at NJCC.
    Jacks- I've always been a fan of transformer emergency vehicles. I do have a great respect for the Red Hero Blue Villain thing though. Did you know it's the same in Kabuki makeup? Blue face paint is for ghosts and bad guys. Red is for heroes.

13. Tom_Servo

Ebay:
    I've got the front wheels and fenders attached and the roof extension roughed out in card stock. The next step is to make a pattern and cut it out of sheet styrene. Making paper patterns is the only way to work out stuff like this. I would have wasted twenty bucks worth of materials trying to go straight in on this.

Attached Files:

14. Wheel_Jack

Wheel_Jack pitying fools

Ebay:
    Great stuff servo. I use paper a lot when i'm working things out as well. This is shaping up nicely!

15. Alloy Alchemist

looks awesome man, cant wait for more!

16. Tom_Servo

Ebay:
    Thanks guys! This was definitely my most productive day in ages. Mostly because I had other things that I was supposed to be doing.

17. Alloy Alchemist

^thats the way it goes sometimes!lol

18. Tom_Servo

Ebay:
    Here's a little more to show you the progress on the face and how the roof works.

Attached Files:

19. wan_de_real

wan_de_real Transformizer

Ebay:
    you know i always love your art Dave...envy of your continuing productions:p 

20. Tom_Servo

Ebay:
    Thanks Wan! I've finally gotten off my duff and have a few more updates for you folks! I've got the roof extension done in styrene. Still need to figure out the lights and a good way to attach it.
    On the arms, I'm using BONDO for the first time on a custom. It's an automotive body filler, and as it turns out, works just as well at 1/24th it's intended scale. I noticed Wikkid using it on his MP Rodimus a while ago, and I've been meaning to try it ever since. It works great. Attached is a before and after carving and sanding.

Attached Files: