Heavy/Scratch: MP Ratchet WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by JAF, May 1, 2009.

1. JAF

JAF 1984

Yes again...:deadhorse: 

I'm a sucker for punishment but really want to get these d00ds done in a way that strikes a balance between authentic Alt mode and G1 toon bot. For this version, I've reused the side door hinge developed for my last Ironhide and further streamlined the "backpack-roof" assembly.

The newest thing is to have the front wheels fold up and under the bot torso for a bit more of a streamlined look. Lobo inspired me to that with his ridiculously cool BB alt. build.

Anyhow, I know you'll let some good criticisms fly (where's megamoonman!?) so I hope to hear some honest thoughts.

Thanks for looking!

Attached Files:

2. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    looking really nice. Reminds me a bit of a revamped universe inferno, similar transformation sequence. The fold up wheels do the same thing on him also. Have you seen that figure yet?

3. JAF

JAF 1984

And here's more progress...

I'm at the stage now of adding details and trying to smooth out he imperfections the the van shell casting. Ratchet will have thruster-boots and his special medical hand-attachments as well.

Attached Files:

4. JAF

JAF 1984

Good point Mike. Lobo was the inspiration and motivation...Inferno was the catalyst. Seeing that wheel setup definitely gave me the specific idea to hinge the wheels like this. What I added afterwards was a second joint that tallows the wheels support peg to fold back and out of the way a bit more.

5. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    The fold away front wheels are slick JAF...I might have to borrow that idea myself :) 

Looking good man :thumb 

6. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Very cool!

7. CryoPrime

CryoPrime Cody A.

That looks really sweet! Are you making the shell out of a model car kit or something?

8. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Man... this is looking great. You work looks so time consuming. Sweet.

9. anemis

anemis Well-Known Member

very nice work

10. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

awesumness!!!

11. Rhinox555

Rhinox555 Insert clever joke here.

My only criticism would be the same i've given on Transtopia with every time you made a new one (how many you got of these guys by now?), the limbs and head are too far back on the car in robot mode, which becomes more noticable because the front of the car doesn't "lean" forward as it does in the toon.
    Other than that it looks great as always.
    edit: with the amount of versions you've made of these guys, any chance of a follow-along sometime, like that MP Jazz one?

12. stratonrye

stratonrye Maximal

Wow. This is amazing! When I first got on TFW I was looking through the gallery and just stared in awe at all of your customs, (which are all sssooo cool looking by the way) but I was especially impressed by your Ratchet and Ironhide. Those two happen to be some of my favorite TF characters. I thought that it wasn't possible to make a more sick Rachet or Ironhide than that, but clearly I was wrong. I can't wait to see him all painted man, he is too epic. The fold away wheels really make a big difference. Great Job!

Oh yeah, I think a tutorial for making him would be awesome too.

13. turboedguy

turboedguy minibotologist

News Credits:
    Man, this is coming along great!

I really like the way you worked in his backpack and legs to hide the bulk of the van.

14. JAF

JAF 1984

Thanks Eric, you are most welcome to any of these ideas!

Thank you CryoPrime, I found a very rare Nissan Onebox van kit made by Nitto. Then I had it casted and the casting is what you see in these pics as a shell for the van.

Thanks ecline...it is...

Thanks d00ds!

I'm grateful for the feedback Rhinox. I think this is my sixth van but only second Ratchet. I've been hesitant to dismantle the side windows/doors to push the arms more forward but have to agree with you to an extent about the arm positioning. You have been very consistent in your criticism. I tried folding the front end down in this bash and it looked weird but I still may take that plunge to get those arms just right. Due to the shape of this van shell I think this is the best yet however.

As far as a follow along, I have been taking many photos of this process so perhaps it will happen.

Thanks a million stratonrye, I have parts enough for a few more of these so I will hopefully contiue to keep your interest. The next versions will be different in that they'll have the G1 detachable weapons (IH) and medical (ratchet) bays along with Toon bot modes...I hope :) 

Thanks Turboedguy, it's been a gradual process but is definitely getting there.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I did an initial coat of paint tonight as the details have been mostly applied. I should have a good update in a few days.

15. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Overall, it's another very awesome project :thumb 

A few things perhaps you can consider:

• The arms are a bit short. I say this with some hesitation, because I'm a fan of Transformers looking like robots not necessarily like humans which gives us a LOT of leeway when we create. If you want to go for more humanistic proportions, the arms would need to extend down just a bit more. Also, the Prime shoulders aren't the bulkiest in the world (they're a bit on the slim side I think).
    • Speaking of Prime, I hope you alter those Alt Prime details on the legs, arms, etc. Perhaps it's just because it's me and Alts, but those details feel very indicative to Alt Prime.
    • Typically, ambulance light bars are either red or blue, but rarely never both like police cars. They're out there though, so that's not a biggie.
    • I know you're going after a "G1" Ratchet, but I've never been a fan of that make/model van. I really like the IDW version of Ratchet, and I don't feel that version of Ratchet skips any beats homaging the G1 bot.

Anyways, I really hope my comments are helpful! I always really enjoy your work, and when you get the follow-along, we'd be thrilled to add it to out library of articles, man :thumb 

16. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    How hard would it be to hinge the front roof section, and make the torso/front end swivel downward a little to flatten out his gut while using that hinge to allow the top of the body to still be flat?

17. stratonrye

stratonrye Maximal

18. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Wow.. awesome...I once had G1 Ratchet...:( 

If I would have this I would completely forget the original loss.

The hinges look pro stuff. Sure, the shell still needs some putty and/or sanding, but those'll be finishing touches, right ?

19. Rhinox555

Rhinox555 Insert clever joke here.

I think for the angled chest to look right, the arms would have to be a little further back in vehicle mode than the legs. However this is just a suspicion.

20. JAF

JAF 1984

Allen you hit a few bullseyes there. Thank you for the feedback. I've swapped out the blue/red lights for solid red (thanks Plowking!), extended the arms, and covered up Primes leg vents. There's still more tweaks to come but those comments were great catches.

Interestingly Andy, the front section (being on the Alt skids front end) has the joint you speak of. The trouble with positioning the van front as you and Rhinox suggest is that the arms become too high and the waist disappears. I'll try and remember to take a pic to show you. That was one of the first things I messed around with actually, but the proportions get too thrown off and I'm a sucker for more humanoid bots.

The challenge will be that hit's a new engineering angle. But the nice thing will be that I'll have much less kibble to worry about if the roof and tailgate becomes a weapons or medical bay.

Thank you knoted! Yes I will be doing some "bodywork" on that casted van shell. If I can't get it perfect, we might see a battle damaged ratchet...

MOstly lower, again I'll try and take pics of the result of this move. Thanks again all for your comments. They are helping!

Here's the latest update:
    • Added rocket boosters for heels (they swivel up in van mode)
    • Lengthened the upper arms and added a bit of detail to the arms.
    • Covered up the Alt Prime leg vents.
    • Gave a primer coat of white
    • Fabricated and added the front windshield and tinted it blue.

Enjoy and keep the crits coming! Pics coming in a moment...

Attached Files: