Minor/Repaint: MP Rainmakers

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Cascadia, May 16, 2011.

1. Cascadia

Cascadia Ion Storm

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This came as an idea after a very good friend of mine, TFShadowcons, thought about the Rainmakers. First came the movie-verse fanart.

Now came doing in G1 MP format. All of these were done by me. I have never done a custom of this scale.

Acid Storm

I am waiting for the Reprolabels, which will cover up the Decepticon insignias. The green is very metallic and darker than it looks in the pictures. Also in some areas on the wings, they glow in the dark.

Some of my friends have mentioned that the way the green paints looks gives the figure a nice weathered look.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stormfront

This is the un-named blue one, which I have given the name Stormfront. He is done except I am missing one piece...it is somewhere in my apartment. The lightning streaks glow in aqua and white in the dark.

Profile: A member of an obscure squad of Decepticon air warriors known only as "The Rainmakers," which were created by Shockwave. Stormfront is pretty known as a computer whiz but only in the Seekers and maybe a few other Decepticons. He is pretty intelligent and has a talent for computers and knows how to manipulate them so that he can hack the enemy systems and steal information from them with very little detection. He is relatively quiet but will talk when he wants himself to be heard. But he can be quick to anger particularly when he is annoyed. His fire-fog missiles can seed natural clouds with a highly destructive form of rain. Also, his lightning abilities can cause acid rain as well (Lightning is a natural source of nitric oxide, which in the right conditions can form acid rain.) The combination of his quick to anger personality plus his weaponry shows that he is a lethal Seeker that not many want to mess with.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bot pictures soon then I get to finish up Novastorm, which is the yellow one. This figure is for a friend of mine. As a tease....all 3 even though Novastorm is a WIP.

[​IMG]

More pictures of the group later on.

Attached Files:

2. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

They look fantastic.

3. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Great job! Lets see more from you. :thumb 

4. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Cas!! I love these!! :D 
    Great looking work!! and the colors are fantastic too..can't wait to see more updates!! Also better pics of the blue and yellow ones as you finish them too. :thumb  :thumb 

5. domshen

domshen Radicon

Great work! Did you take them fully apart to paint?

6. Cascadia

Cascadia Ion Storm

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thank you everyone for the very kind words. :D 

domshen, they were partially taken apart to be painted.

7. Nyarlahotep

Nyarlahotep Radicon Scourge

Ebay:
    I have to be honest here, but these look really rough. Take the time and disassemble your figures and prep them properly and practice your brush stroke on some junkers before you go all out on something you want to present. It looks like you're either using really cheap art store paint or some really thick bristled brushes because the consistency of the paint is all over the place. It's either too thin or too thick and chunky.

Use some smaller brushes and some reference when creating small details like lightning bolts or anything else you want to accentuate. You're essentially using 3 colors with these figures which blends all their major forms and shapes together losing all the fine detail that was present before you began painting.

Take a look at some of the more experienced artists in the Radicons and emulate their process to get better results. Overall these look rushed and messy, if you can I'd strip them with alcohol and be more patient and do it right the next time.

8. BDixonarts

BDixonarts Artist Colorist TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Love what you got here cass and for your first time doing something like this you are doing a great job. Just remember each time you do something art wise you learn something new every time. All artists go through this process of self learning so keep doing and don't listen to those who give negative comments.

9. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

This is one of her first pieces. Though Nylar is dead on in his recommendations to you, B, be very proud of what you managed to do here. I know my first project looked nowhere near this good, and not everyone has the artistic ability, support and access to materials as some of us. I know that if you keep it up you'll improve and do much better in the future. But as someone who has painted a MP Seeker or two this is a great early effort.

Patience is the HARDEST skill to develop when you bash. It just takes time to get comfortable with your skill set and dim that "I wanna see hoe it looks now" feeling us fans have when we start to paint something. Hell, to this day I'll have to re-prime something cause I touched it to early and left a fingerprint. :lol 

Keep up the great work. And I like seeing that ROTF Sunstorm in the background. :thumb 

10. Long_Haul

Long_Haul N*ggacon

I knew i recognize that Sunstorm.:bowdown: 

I couldn't of said it better my self. I've been painting for a while now and im STILL learning and trying to capture my own style.
    Don't let what people say push you away from this hobby, cause once you get the hang of it, you will start seeing an improvement on your work. Nylar is on with what he is preaching, only because once all the proper steps have been taking, you work will shine to other and mostly your self. Spring to get some nicer paints and brushes, its only to better you.

Great work and your got the skill now just mold it and if you are happy, that all that matters. Real Talk. D.C. is a kat to get to know, if you get a chance pick his brain.
    Hope to see more from you. Great Job.:thumbs2: 

Also:
    Go check out Procustomizers.com, BIG Help.

11. Cascadia

Cascadia Ion Storm

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    E is correct...these are some of my first pieces. None of my pieces before this looked super great but I was alright with them. They are still with me...they are not going anywhere. For someone that takes on several MP pieces, these are not bad tries. One of them is not even done yet.

Let me be honest...my artistic abilities are nowhere near some of the customizers' here but it does not mean that I would not give a try and learn along the way. I am doing this because I have a passion for this fandom and want to try something new and different. After doing self-learning process, I appreciate what customizers do when they develop nice pieces of artwork. Long_Haul, Shade, and E, thank you for the kind words of encouragement.

And yes, I still have my ROTF Sunstorm along with my Prowl and Drift. I still love them.

12. Nyarlahotep

Nyarlahotep Radicon Scourge

Ebay:
    Well we certainly can't wait to see what else you have in store for the future! :thumb 

13. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Cascadia, thank you so much for showing our community how to handle a good set of critiques well. I think you guys all have given her a really good handshake with your critiques as well. I've been keeping up with this thread since it was posted (just hadn't gotten around to posting myself, but you guys did really well posting my own observations anyways). I mean, it's about custom Seekers . . . what's not to like? :D 

Everyone starts somewhere, and as long as someone is willing to improve their craft - no matter what skill level they're at - I think the work will always improve. Thanks so much for sharing your work here :thumb 

14. Cascadia

Cascadia Ion Storm

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Superquad, your welcome.

Everyone that gave me suggestions and advice were extremely helpful. It shows that they are passionate about their art and customizing figures, which is important along with having some fun. If they are not having fun with their art and skills, then it sometimes do not become an enjoyment for the person.

This project is done for me. It has been a great learning experience and as well as enjoyment. As I learn how improve and mold my skills, I feel that they would continue to improve. For early pieces, I am pretty satisfied with them and how they look. When I have new projects, I plan to showcase them here and improve my craft. Let me tell you, it is fun to do...now, hopefully I can refine my skills over time.

Here is Stormfront's long awaited bot mode.

[​IMG]

The third one and it is not Sunstorm. This is Novastorm, who was named by a very good friend of mine. The look of flames is meant to represent his abilities. For the most part, they hide in his bot mode. This is the bio that she gave him.

Created by Shockwave, Novastorm lacks almost all emotion or sense of humor. He is quick to anger and is usually unpleasant to be around. Despite his personality he is very smart and has many talents involving nuclear physics and propulsion technology. His armor is super strong allowing him to venture right into the sun without being harmed any. He is also the only known bot that can stand near Sunstorm without being harmed by his radiation.

Abilities: Can manipulate the very air and create a super heated vacuum that can explode out in a great ball of fire. He can also utilize various gases and combined with the special abilities of his two brothers Stormfront and Acid Storm, he can turn a normal thunderstorm super-cell into a toxic rainstorm of lethal sulfuric acid. This ability was found out also early on by Shockwave and was attempted to be prevented before it could be used on him, so the three seekers were made to stay away from each other for safety reasons.

Alt. mode pictures:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bot mode pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All 3:

This I could not resist...all 3. From left to right: Novastorm; Acid Storm; Stormfront. I believe that they look good together.

[​IMG]

15. crosscharge

crosscharge Classics tinkerer

Ebay:
    I can really see improvement from piece to piece, and how you got all that yellow to look that consistent is fantastic! I avoid that color all together if I can . . . What did you use for your pin stipping? A tad bit of cleanup where you cut the angles and on that left thigh would would really help finish this piece out.

16. Cascadia

Cascadia Ion Storm

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thank you, crosscharge. :) 

The yellow paint took a lot of patience. There are only a few layers there and 3 shades of yellow along with some gold. The pin-striping/trim tape was bought from a craft/hobby store. One can buy them in huge rolls and there are different sizes on the roll. As for the cleaning up on Novastorm, those are slightly old pictures and he has been cleaned up.

17. warriorpriest

warriorpriest Priest of Primus

News Credits:
    Cas I have to say I love the Yellow one. he looks great. Keep going the way you are and I may be out of a job doing customs for ya. LOL!! Well i hope not. ;) 

18. Cascadia

Cascadia Ion Storm

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks WP. Are you out of the job for making customs for me? Nope...some things are way beyond my skill. ;) 

19. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Cas..as you have found out..yellow is a transparent color and so hard to use over other colors, especially on TF toys, but your Novastorm is a nice example of yellow done well. :thumb  I really like all three in jet mode..just my thing for seekers. :thumb 

20. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    I love the specific details on all of these.