Customs: MP Optimus

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by TimothyVernon, Feb 8, 2007.

1. TimothyVernon

TimothyVernon Well-Known Member

has anyone painted the thighs and mid section of masterpiece optimus white to be true to the cartoon?

2. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

Interesting idea...I've not done it myself, nor have I seen it done. YOU could be the first.

3. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    will be tricky since they collapse and white takes more paint to show properly... would be nice if the vinyl dye stuff would work then it wouldn't have to be so thick

4. TimothyVernon

TimothyVernon Well-Known Member

maybe i'll try it this weekend. hopefully i don't ruin anything. i wonder why they're grey in the first place since everything else is so accurate.

5. StarFire_MK2

StarFire_MK2 'Till All are One! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I painted the thighs years ago, with a nice silver alkyd paint. I didn't put the yellow on, but it's a good idea! I top-coated the silver paint with a clear lacquer, after a light sanding with 400 grit paper. I waited a week for the paint to cure, then applied 2 or 3 light coats of lacquer, allow it to dry appropriatley between coats. It's worked great--there's only a few scratches on the legs from transforming, and all of them are due to me not waiting long enough for the lacquer to harden. If you're going to paint yellow stripes, you're going to add another level of thickness if you do it on-top of the silver, so I'd suggest masking those areas off when you put the silver on, then reverse-mask the area for the yellow. Wait a week if you're using alkyd paint before applying tape to it, or you're remove a bit of the high-gloss sheen from it (I just discovered this with my MP Skywarp paint job) :banghead: