MP Optimus Prime, is he worth it?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by darkunor, Jan 14, 2011.

1. darkunor

darkunor Banned

With the masterpiece of masterpieces a.k.a rodimus prime set to be released and in a couple of weeks and set to join my not-so illustrious collection of masterpieces including megatron and grimlock I feel compelled to purchase MP Optimus Prime.

The reason for this is that I anticipate that Galvatron will be infact the next MP and if this is to be the case then the ommission in my collection of the most iconic version of the autobot leader in the TF universe would certainly be a travesty of epic proportions. But for some reason I feel hesitant to purchase this figure! When I bought MP grimlock I was experimenting with what it was like to own an MP figure, an experiment that was well worth every penny, with mp Megatron, there was no question, he is simply the best megatron figure to date in my opinion, as for Mp Rodimus Prime I would part with £300 if I had to, but when I look at prime something irks me about that figure, I don't know whether it's the expression on his face, the colour scheme used for his thighs and his crotch piece, in the G1 animated series it seemed to lean towards a lighter shade of silver, almost white even but in the toy it's more of a dark grey. Also the physique also come across as if he's on roids or something. I dont know what it is but I just can't seem to put my finger on what makes this figure not so appealing to me!

So for all those who own this figure, your advice, words or pearls of wisdom or your experience with this figure is more than welcome! Is he really worth all the trouble, particularly with current price tag of £300+?

2. Mach

Mach Grand Master

News Credits:
    Get the MP-1L final edition. cheaper option....

3. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

Seeing as he's widely regarded to be the best Transformer of all time, I'd call it a good investment. Although you may not want to listen to me, as I don't have the toy myself.

4. Cliffbee

Cliffbee Well-Known Member

MP Prime, sans trailer, is definitely worth the money. Although the trailer looks cool as a trailer, it has as little "play value" as its original G1 counterpart.

5. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Lucky for you one last MP Optimus is going to be released. I'd say wait for that one.

6. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Totally worth the cash if you ask me. Its the best version of G1 prime there is! If you want a trailer but don't want to shell out the extra money for the MP-04, just get the justitoys trailer and haver it as a nice display piece. Over got both the 01 & 04 versions of the toy, and they're both worth ther money to me, but that said, transformers are they only things I really collect.

7. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    In a word, YES.

8. anubis20

anubis20 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I paid $198 for MP-04 and it was worth every single penny to me. Optimus isn't complete without a trailer. I also got the Hasbro DVD MP Prime and if I was you I would rather get the MP-01L that's coming out. The paint apps and chrome on the Takara version are way better than the Hasbro.

9. Stune

Stune Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Have we heard as to what the Final Edition is exactly? Is it just a rerelease of Good Ole MP-01? Or are there retooling/repainting touch ups/other accessories?

10. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Moreover, will it be released in the states? 8D

11. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have both releases in the US, MP-04, and Black Prime. I would say he's worth it unless you just disslike G1 Prime's aesthetics.

12. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    I am going to go against the grain on this. Maybe it is cause all the hype on this figure. I actually got him as my most current MP figure, so maybe that is why I am underwhelmed. I had Grimlock first, then Starscream and Skywarp, the Optimus with Trailer.

While I think he is cool, I don't know if he is worth the money. While the diecast is nice, it is also a pain. For my Optimus, the chest pieces don't match up identically. Almost like it is missing something to make them line up straight. So the left side is a little lower then the right. That is highly annoying after spending $250 on him. There are also slight paint imperfections in the figure as well. For $250, the thing should be damn perfect. These are also common issues. Here is a pic of the issue I found just doing a quick search. Best part is, no solution for it:

[​IMG]

I know it is nitpicky, but I was pretty disappointed by just those two things. It is because everyone is saying how he is the best figure ever. I personally prefer the MP Starscream Hasbro Mold. That is my favorite.

What I would recommend for you is to get the iGear Faith Leader. He is cheaper but not by much. However, scale wise, he fits better with the rest of the MP figures. He is just slightly smaller then Grimlock. Which is correct.

13. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

I dont have the figure and want it thats why i have MP-01L preordered and i am looking forward to adding this toy to my collection!

14. Xaedrahk

Xaedrahk Prime-otions!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Definitely worth getting. I've got the MP-04, both Hasbro Primes, and the MP-01B.

the MP-01's actually the most expensive right now, so you may be best off waiting for the MP-01L (my god I feel like we're talking about Stormtrooper numbers from Star Wars here...) but MP-04 just feels about perfect. There are some issues with some of them as Alucard77 mentioned, but it is chance/fate as to whether yours would have those issues.

For my part; I got the MP-04, then shelled out a bit extra for both reprolabels sticker sets (trailer and cab) as well as a Battle Rollar (I recommend that one so the little guy has some feature/playability to him; being that the trailer doesn't have a G1-style launcher to it).

15. Optimist_Prime

Optimist_Prime The Original Optimist!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    To quote Mr. Stone Cold Steve Austin

16. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:

As far as I know that's common probem with the later run Japanese versions. My Hasbro 20th Anniversary version is just fine.

I do think it's worth it, it's a pretty solid to. And heavy as hell. I don't have a trailer for it...sometimes I wis I did but it's not something I really miss all that much since it's displayed in robot mode anyway.

17. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Which version of MP Prime is that? I have MP-04 and my Prime doesn't have that defect.
    [​IMG]

I would agree but only if you have never held a MP Prime. I brought Faith Leader with the intention of selling MP04 but that never happened. To be honest, that figure just feels cheap and not worth the 100+!

18. Inikalord

Inikalord Legal Binding Contracts

Ebay:
    I'd say definitely go and get him

Well worth the money and for such an iconic character, this is the best you are going to get of Optimus

19. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    yes it's worth it, don't waste your money on faith leader and have the fist transformations break on you, the actual figure is nice and sturdy

20. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you think you might want him, you'll probably regret not getting him later.

That being said, he is one of my least favorite MP toys I have. I know what you mean about something being slightly off about him.

He was the first of the line, and unfortunately as often happens with new lines, the sculpts and engineering often do get better as the lines progress. If they redid him now, I'm pretty sure I'd be more impressed.

But all that aside, just like every MP toy, he is a fantastic toy. I don't think you'll regret it.