MP-OP Help survey (read my post)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by VaderPrime1, Jul 4, 2009.

?

Hasbro or Takara? (read my post)

Poll closed Jul 7, 2009.
  1. Hasbro

25.8%
  2. Takara

48.4%
  3. It doesn't matter

22.6%
  4. Neither

3.2%
  1. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I was wondering if the community could help me. I am wanting to get a Masterpiece Optimus Prime and I was wondering what I should do. Now keep in mind that I'm not an avid collector. Should I get the DVD Hasbro version to save money or should I wait for the MP-04 re-release? All I want is a MP Prime and I'm not going for collector grade stuff here, but I would like to save some money.

Here's what I've come up with:

Hasbro Pros: Takara Pros:
    -I can get it earlier -deeper red
    -save money -chrome
    -still a masterpiece -comes with trailer (not a big deal to me)

Hasbro Cons: Takara Cons:
    -not as red -price
    -I have to wait longer (big deal to me, lol)
    -not a big collector - out of place 4 me
    -if it breaks; very expensive

What would you do based on my list?

2. Hound & Mirage

Hound & Mirage Rapscallion

Honestly, if you actually play with your toys, like to fiddle and pose them, I'd skip MP Prime. It's an impressive piece, to be sure, but not actually *Fun*. The only MP that has impressed me as much in hand as on display has been Grimlock.

If however you want one to display and don't care about *fun*, then go Takara. Cause if you're gonna get a super nice expensive display piece, you should really save up and go all the way; get something that's really worth it.
    But unless you really really need it for the display, I wouldn't worry about getting one with the trailer. That's just a lot of extra expense and space for something that doesn't actually do much for the toy. And if you really want a G1 Prime with a trailer, the Encore reissue is more affordable and funsize.

That is my advice, for the half-cent it be worth.

3. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I myself got the Takara MP-1 version. Hasbro's had the battle damage paint apps which spoiled the look for me. I know the DVD one added yellow paint to the head, which is less accurate. It's also got the short stacks. Takara's has the more accurate design and the longer smokestacks.

If you're just after a version of the toy, and are not worried about the little details, the DVD one would be passable. But either of the Takara versions are the definitive version of Optimus Prime and make very nice center pieces for even a casual collection - you feel as though you have your money's worth with them.

Same goes for the DVD of course, he's still a huge display piece toy.

4. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    It sounds like price is indeed a concerning factor in your decision-making for MP Prime. Go with the DVD Prime. BBTS has MP-04 on Pre-order for $200+shipping, which is at least 2-3 times the price of the Hasbro version, and not considering the trailer, the quality/paint/etc differences are minor.

5. jthitman

jthitman Well-Known Member

If you just want one to transform on occasion, get the hasbro one. Despite the battle damage and short smokestacks, it is a decent version.

6. newguy

newguy i

I bought the Hasbro one, and i hate it. Whenever i see a takara one i get pissed.

7. Razorwing

Razorwing The Fallen Alternity.

News Credits:
    If your'e gonna play with it, get the 20th. For Display, minimal movement get MP04.

8. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    I got the 20th but miss having the trailer. I'm really thinking about getting the reissue now too. Go with the MP-04 if you even think you might want it later.

9. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    this^: dull silver, pink, short smoke stacks, no trailer, dull blue paint, etc etc etc, i am considering the reissue for all those reasons and more

10. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    i feel for the people that got the DVD version of this figure....i got the original 20th anniversary one with battle damage (with black rifle yay) for christmas years ago cause i has just discovered g1 by buying a vhs of the original movie and when i saw this prime in stores i had to have it :lolol  it is just as good as the original MP-01 except for short stacks and battle damage (which don't take away from the figure).

i played with this thing for years, until sadly one day my brothers broke the joints inside the knees so his legs flop badly, but snap the legs together and put him on a shelf and he is all good

11. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Both the original Hasbro release and Takara release are worth getting. The DVD version is too but to a lesser extent. If you want to get one cheap as possible then just get the DVD version. If you can afford it get the MP-04.

12. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If the trailer isn't a big deal, then getting the Hasbro version may not be a bad idea if he's cheaper than MP4. I picked up MP4, but I wanted the trailer too.