MP Megs vs. G1 Megs

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by SwindlesShop, Dec 3, 2009.

1. SwindlesShop

SwindlesShop Kenny Power's drug dealer

News Credits:
    which is the best way to go?

2. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have both. I like G1 to mess around and play, but MP Megs is a great display piece. It's all up to you and how you collect.

3. unmc2001

unmc2001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I too have both. If I could only keep 1 it would be MP. He is the best Megatron figure I have. G1 is fun to fiddle with though.

4. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    As a toy, G1 Megatron. Much as I love my Masterpiece Megs (favorite TF I own), it's not really meant for play.

That said, if you're looking for something as a definitive Megatron for your collection, or a display/transform every now and then piece, can't go wrong with MP05.

Transformation is identical on both, which is a cool touch I think. The main difference really is that the Masterpiece's transformation is on a larger, grander scale, with a couple more detailed/involved bits, but the overall steps are the same.

5. unmc2001

unmc2001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have had my MP Megatron for a couple of years now and still have not transformed him.

6. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    well get to it :lol , MP megs is my favorite TF i own, so i would say go with him, g1 megs is fun to fiddle with, but mp is the most fun to tf if you can handle the challenge

7. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

I think MP Megs is fantastic...it's kinda fragile, but it's great. How many TFs can you claim take over an hour to transform the first time when using the instructions?

8. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    That was as nervewrecking as a job interview.

9. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I know right?

God that first time was somethin' special.

Nightmarish, but special.

10. Optimatron

Optimatron Autobot

Truth

Truth

Truth

Truth

All very true statements. Half way through transforming him to gun mode for the first time, I started converting him back to robot just to make sure I had transformed his arms and torso into the top of the gun correctly. It didn't look right. Still never does.

Once I finished transforming him back and forth the first times,I couldn't put him down for at least a month and a half. His transformation was so satisfying and addicting to me. It still is. His robot mode is so awesome too.

I say go with Mp Megs, if you are looking for something complex, yet awe-inspiring. He is much more fun in robot mode due to his articulation than his
    G1 counterpart. Getting back and forth between the two modes is so similar, yet is a lot more involved (and satisfying imo).

On the other hand, if you are looking for something simple, and don't care about fiddling with your toys in robot mode, G1 Megatron is good too.

I say go with MP Megs, but then again...If someone held a gun to my head and said I had to get rid of one of the two...I'd give up my Encore #6 way faster than my MP, and G1 Megs was my holy grail during my childhood. I didn't get him untill I was 20. I will say this though, if you have never transformed, or watched G1 Megaton's transformation before, be sure you do at least one of those things before you dive into MP-05. It will definately help in giving you an idea of which direction to go in, when transforming MP Megs the first couple of times. I played with my encore the whole time I was waiting on my MP to arrive from bbts.

11. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

Here are the two side by side. Judge for yourself: :) 

[​IMG]

12. menasor73ct

menasor73ct Well-Known Member

im pretty happy with both of them,but if you decide to go g1 megs,then you should get a japanese version,as it comes with little pellets that shoot,the american megs did not have these.if you decide to go with mp megs,then try to get ahold of the upgrade kit.

13. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

Masterpiece megs, unless you're a total nostalgia junky or a die-hard geewun collector with a megatron-shaped hole on your shelf.

Next to the MP figures the equivalent G1 toys look a bit goofy. yes the G1s are very cool, but the masterpiece figures are just plain awesome.

they are literally at opposite ends of the toy:collectable spectrum. G1s are collectable because they're old, on occasion rare and generally iconic. the masterpiece figures are collectable for the aforementioned awesomeness.

14. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

:lol 

I had beads of sweat on my hands and forehead as I was transforming it to gun mode. I made the mistake of previously reading threads about breaking him and was scared I'd do the same. I just had to try though.

It's still in gun mode, and that was a few years ago.

15. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Both, because they each serve a different purpose and are awesome in their own rights.

G1
    pros: for your nostalgia fix, and will be in scale with all your other (G1) figs...for the most part
    cons: he is G1, so we're talking about an awkward looking brick here
    MP
    pros: looks epic (even with that Jabbawockeez face), and you need him to compliment your MP Prime
    cons: insane transformation. mine's still in the box for 2 months now, weary about transforming him for the first time based on everything I've heard. Also, possible cosmic rust

However I may be facing a right of passage soon, as I pick up an Ikea Detolf last night, and may transform Megatron once and ONCE ONLY, then leave him be forever

16. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    This is a toughy...

I'd have to say, in my case, G1, since I can actually display him, which is more than I can say for Slidey McRustybutt. Best case senario, though, I'd say MP. But I really do love G1 Megs' toy. He's awkward, stumpy and has the funniest expression of any Megatron. Plus he's a pretty solid and fun gun.

MP Megs is great. He's complex, full of character, and has great sculpted detail. However, he's not that balanced on smooth surfaces like glass display cases, and his metal can tarnish. Plus, it's really hard to transform him without breaking a few pegs. But minus those few issues, he's great.

17. b-r0ck

b-r0ck Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Do not let the transformation difficulty stop you from getting MP Megatron - there is a video on youtube that you can watch while you do it step by step and it makes it much much easier. It still takes over half an hour but it is far less nerve wracking that way.

If you don't have an MP Prime though I would just get the G1 prime. Sure MP Prime is big and impressive but his bot mode is VERY limited as far as posing and he's about as sturdy as a stack of wet noodles.

18. leov36

leov36 Rubber Wheel'd UM

you gotta have mp megatron for robot mode,
    and g1 for gun mode, thats are there is to it.

19. GreenScream

GreenScream Neo G1 Collector

News Credits:
    It boils down to whether you're a play or display collector. MP Megs is perfect as a display piece. He simply looks badass as an intimidating figure on one's shelf and is a perfect companion piece to MP Prime.

G1 Megs, on the other hand, is a very fun figure to fiddle around with and to transform back and forth. He also comes with all the gun attachments, so you wouldn't need to purchase an add on kit as you would if you got the MP figure.

20. Blackout32

Blackout32 Subdivisions

I don't have a orginal G1 meg but a reissue and I DO have a MP megatron coming just don't know WHEN yet. I have my reissue G1megatron in his box and I think for the MP Megatron he will be in the box as well.