MP Megatron - I know he's fragile

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by nails1, Dec 7, 2009.

1. nails1

nails1 Well-Known Member

I just bought another MP Megatron so I could have it displayed in both modes. I take him out of the box and notice his right arm is loose and doesn't ratchet at all. So I'm moving it around and then it just pops off in my hand!!

His stupid arm wasn't even screwed on all the way! I had to perform surgery on him but his arm is fine now and holds the scope up just fine.

On another note, I just put some long stacks on my 20th Prime and he looks MUCH better now.

2. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

That can be most annoying when you buy a brand new toy, open it and something falls off. I had that problem with Animated Starscream and his right foot. The ball was too large for the socket, so it kept popping out. After a bit of shaving down though, it fits snugly.

The worst though was when I bought a Macross VF-11b. Opened it up only to have the whole frigging leg fall off at the hip. It was quite a common problem with the figure though, I read dozens of horror stories of the same thing happening to other people. The only way to fix it was to do massive drill work and at the time I had no experience with anything like that. I was pretty pissed too, because it cost me about $90 US.

So yeah, I feel your pain. At least you got the arm fixed eh!

3. nails1

nails1 Well-Known Member

Thank you for the positive response. Other than yourself there seem to be a few tools on this site. Not exactly the warm response I was expecting.

4. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I put the long stacks on my Prime also and he improved 200%!

5. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    MP Megatron's arms never really bothered me too much. It's his LEGS.

Hips? On ultra-tight ratchets connected to a thin plastic spar. Yes, let's add some torque to that! His knees? Ultra tight ratchets in fragile-feeling silver plastic. Where's all the die cast? In the little fold away bits on his back!

Still, with all that, he LOOKS imposing and badass and Megatron. I just wish they had taken some time to strengthen the obvious weak points.

6. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Your stupid response...another addition on my ignore list.

My MP Megatron was weak in the hips area, he'd do the splits often when posed. The knee ratchets were so tight the plastic was stressed before I loosened the screws a bit.

Overall he was an impressive addition on the shelf but couldn't pose, could not be handled at all and was a pain to sell without taking a loss. Finally parted with mine at about 85 USD shipped.

Only masterpiece so far that falls short of the title.

7. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

Wow, am I glad I skipped out on Megs after reading about that. I watched some older reviews about it after reading this thread the first time, and they all say the same thing: Fragile! Poor Dyanisis (sp?) having his snap in half the first time he handled it!

Alas, a MP Megs would not last long in my house. My cat has a penchant for waging war on my Transformers and Megatron would make much too tempting an enemy.

8. Defenestrator

Defenestrator Definitive Opinion

what did you expect? praise and encouragement? 99% of people on any forum are
    an arbitrary statistic i will use to validate my point.

9. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

After reading this thread I consider myself lucky. I've had no problems with my MP-05.

10. swampflight

swampflight Banned

One of the lucky ones...

You must have gotten one that passed QC inspection because almost every post I've read about this figure described some kind of problem which is why unless I can find one for somewhere around $25 to $40 dollars I wouldnt buy it(and yea,I know that aint gonna happen).

11. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    mine's arm was off in the box as well, tightened it up and it was fine for a couple years, but the screw recently came out again and this time it is stripped, so i glued it, now it is good to go, don't know why they used a 2mm long screw to hold the arm on, kinda dumb

12. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    I don't think the overall toy is as fragile as people make it out to be, but there are parts on the toy that are precariously thin or placed.

13. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    The only TF that ever fall apart in my hands was deluxe Galvatron..then again, it's deluxe Galvatron. :lol 

Luckily you were able to screw him back together just fine. Saves you the trouble of getting replacements!

14. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I remember someone else got an MP Megs that had some of the screwholes already stripped right out of the box because the screws were OVERtightened, so it's good that yours could be sorted out so easily.
    MP Megatron gets a lot of bad press because he's a large, complex and somewhat fiddly toy; however a LOT of the issues people have with him seem to be largely caused by hamfistedness. As long as he doesn't have any manufacturing or assembling defects, he's generally fine.

As for the "COOL STORY BRO OH NOES I WAYSTED SECONDS OF MY LIEF" brigade, just ignore them. Literally. Use the "ignore" feature. Certainly don't be put off TFW because of them.

And TO those people - don't expect people to give a shit about anything you say if you can't even treat a new member (who is not spamming or acting like an idiot, something that not all of YOU can say with your posting histories) nicely. Seriously; be more damn polite in future.

15. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

Well now that we're talking about MP Megs again, how do you remove the cosmic rust again?

16. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    No chemicals.

Use a polishing rag. It's just tarnish.

(but really, you should probably just leave it be because each time you wipe it down you are removing part of the metal. Though it looks off, the tarnish blocks further interaction with the air.)

17. unmc2001

unmc2001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I use a gun & reel silicone cloth to clean mine. It seems to help keep the tarnish away. You can pick one up at walmart for a couple of dollars.

18. enkidoamark

enkidoamark Well-Known Member

I clicked on this thread, went to respond to the douchery on the first page, and before I could, it was gone. I guess the mods are on top of things.

19. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Mine had this problem as well, and in the same area too. The problem seems to be that the screws in that part are too short to make a proper connection. I replaced mine with a longer screw and it seems to work a bit better now. Though truth be told, he's one of those ones that I don't handle much.

And to all those spamming - stop it. If you cannot add to a topic, post nothing at all. You know who you are, and you'll get a warning if I see you doing it again.

20. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    On the bright side, at least it's not a problem like MP Starscream's shoulders. I remember having to shave a bunch of plastic off them just so it didn't feel like the arms were going to tear themselves off whenever I moved them... what is it with Takara Decepticon MPs and arm issues?