MP Megatron hate

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by chas_520000, Aug 7, 2012.

1. chas_520000

chas_520000 Well-Known Member

I personally like MP Megatron and have had him since he was first released. The only problem I've had is the cosmic rust. So my question is why the hate?

2. AMG

AMG Old School

I want one, always have. But I'm not willing to shell out the current asking price for him.

3. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    His transformation? From what I understand, he's a rather highly sought-after piece, but he is infamous for his transformation. I hear it's worse than ROTF Leader Prime's.

4. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    Hmmm, I think some people have heard some horror stories about breakages and thought it was a common problem. I got the 'Cosmic rust' unfortunately, but I have no problems with the figure in any other way. He is difficult at first, but not impossible to transform....

5. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

I don't like that his Fusion Cannon makes him slouch to his Right, but Masterpiece Megatron is alright once you know how to transform him.

6. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    I like mine! I think he's a bit spindly... could have been bulkier. But he's a very cool and elegant display piece with the masterpiece Prime. He is one of a kind.

7. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Just out of curiosity, but what exactly is the average rate for this thing? I've seen different amounts between the boards and eBay.

8. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He's not a bad figure per-se, he's actually really good. He is not a good toy, he is fiddly and spindly, but in either mode is actually very impressive. It's the moving between that things go awry.

9. Kaiwera05

Kaiwera05 Soundwave Enthusiast

Ebay:
    I don't have him, but I heard the transformation is a horror story and he looks kinda spindly in robot mode. Those legs just look wicked thin.

10. chas_520000

chas_520000 Well-Known Member

thanks everyone for the replies. I thought I was one of very few that like him.

11. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    The problem as I see it is too many people who have no experience with the toy having an opinion. It caused a reputation that's so out of proportion to the quality of the toy its unreal. Mine has hade no fragility issues, the transformation is essentially an elaboration of the G1 figure and while the rust is a genuine 'issue' it's not really to the detriment to the look of the figure as a whole.

The arm articulation is desperately lacking a bicep joint, and the waist could do with a swivel (if the transformation allowed it) but essentially he's as good as MP-01 is, and the most fitting update to the G1 figure we could now hope to have.

12. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I love my MP Megatron! I finally transformed him into alt mode a few weeks back, and it wasn't actually as bad as I had expected. He's one of my favorite TF toys, an amazing likeness to his anime version.

13. Napalm

Napalm Sins Of The Manfish TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The figure was just too fragile and spindly looking for me. I found the transformation a ball ache. He has his plus points - despite his thinness, he does look good and has great articulation, and he's an engineering marvel.

14. AMG

AMG Old School

He avereges around $150.

Sometimes you can snag him for a little over $100, but other times he sells for over $200. He goes for a wide range of prices.

15. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Because of the overly complicated and fragile transformation? Because his proportions are crap? Because of the mushy looking face sculpt?

I don't have him, but I don't need to have the toy in person to see that it looks ugly.

16. Xzbit

Xzbit Well-Known Member

It's an amazing piece to own and display with your mp.The real problem I say it's the transformation part.I love to mess with my toys but mp megatron is one I have yet to transformer because of the stories I here.

17. McSoundwave

McSoundwave Soundwave superior!

Isn't a v2, improving upon the "flaws" of this particular MP offering in the works? Although I like the looks of MP-05, I'm just holding out for the inevitable reworking that's more in scale with the new line, from MP-10 forward.

18. Erland

Erland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I want this one so bad... I need any G1 representation of Megatron but the MP would be awesome.. I wish it came out states side..

19. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    I like him, transformation and all

Heck I really don't mind complex transformations. Worse than movie leader prime? I don't count that as a bad thing, I love transforming that guy. Sure its a bit of a process but its satisfying. A feat of engineering to be sure. A "masterpiece" some might say ;) 

20. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Two problems with him for me. One can be fixed.

First his stock fusion cannon is so ridiculously large you can't get any decent poses out of him.....until you stick a G1 fusion cannon on him and all is good and better proportioned:

[​IMG]

Secondly he is now just too damn big. He doesn't even fit with the rest of the MP figs.

I do like him but as soon as a smaller v2 comes out I'll be swapping over in a heart beat.