MP Megatron...getting rust!?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Eric, Aug 28, 2007.

1. MC Rap Throne

MC Rap Throne unknown member

News Credits:
    oh f*ck. Rust check here, already clear coated it. :( 

2. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Mine is still sealed and in the taped plastic from TFSource. I'll leave it up to the MISB gods to determine the fate of ol' Megs.

3. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well this figures! I've been kicking around the idea of selling mine since I never opened it and just stored it with all my other MISB stuff, but now no one's gonna want it even if I DO decide to sell it.:banghead: 

4. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Mine is not rusting, it's tarnishing. I noticed it the other day, I'm wondering if sliver cleaner will fix it.

5. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    Now I'm kinda scared about buying MP Megs...:( 

6. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well I must have super MP megs then, because I can transform it back and forth all I want, with no fear of breaking it, because I'm not super rough with it. Most of the griping I've seen about it being fragile is just "oh no, I hope I don't break mine like silverbolt did, i'll never transform it!". Exactly how he broke his, I don't know and I don't really care. What I do know is that I haven't busted mine, and even my huge fingers can grab parts to help hold them at the joint while tugging and pulling to make them move.

Now since that conversation doesn't have much to do with rust, I'd like to not have to continue it.

I wonder if Takara will notice the rust complaints and do something about it, and if so, how difficult would it be for purchasers on the secondary market to get it taken care of?

7. Prowl2000

Prowl2000 Keep it sealed

Ebay:
    mines really rusty. I don't know if it has something to do with the display I have. He's standing in 3 inches of water... is that bad?

8. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    Starscream was right - he's made of "schrotty materials".

9. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What the f@#$! It was fine a week and a half ago. Now look at the spine!!!! Sorry about the crap picture it is all I had the time to take, had to use the flash.

[​IMG]

The worst part is it won't come off. How the hell does a toy from the 80's stay pristine while a brand new $100 toy rusts. WTF!!!! Damn you Takara. I keep my toys in a cabinet which is dry. Words can not express my rage.

10. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

I had almost forgotten that this happened to mine too. I thought it was rust, but it seemed to simply wipe off, so I'm not too sure what the hell it was. Scary, that's what.

11. ActionMasterZod

ActionMasterZod Larzzing on twitter!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Can someone post a picture of the rusted feet?

EDIT: I really need to read all the posts before posting >.<

12. benzo

benzo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    eek! after closer inspection I found a small spot of what looks to be rust on the spine! tried to rub it off but it didn't come off so I sprayed WD-40 on my finger and rubbed the rust off and now it's gone! rubbed WD-40 on the feet and the rest of the spine for good measure!

13. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Oh noes! Sorry to hear that.

14. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Yeah, same here. No rust, but the finish looks "mottled" like it might go eventually. Bummer, after paying this much for a collector's item you shouldn't have to worry about something like this!

15. Dayvcon

Dayvcon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    me to its a yellowish color. i was able to remove alt of it with a cloth. but wat can i do? what do i do now? Help (yeah,any help will be nice)

16. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It DOES have to do with this thread because it is part of the design or construction flaws of MP-05. However, I was not out to rouse anyone, so am fine with not talking about that. I personally think it's the best version of G1 Megs available so I am not passing bad judgement on it. I do however want to ask if this is rust, or mold? Mold can form on the right material or chemical pretty fast, and could look like it's being tarnished. It's something that happened to a sword handle I had. I would use some sort of dissinfectant on it and hope it gets rid of whatever bacteria is causing the fast growth. I could be completely off though, but it's worth a try.

17. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    So basically you're saying megs might need some:

[​IMG]

18. D-Compose

D-Compose wCw United States Champ

News Credits:
    I think that mine is starting to rust on the spine, just a bit. The feet are starting to discolor... I am NOT impressed.

19. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    The feet and "spine" pieces on my MP-05 have definitely turned a little yellow/gold as well. Considering I've never transformed it and have only had it on display in an area that gets no sun, this is pretty disappointing. And it's certainly not an issue with humidity - I have NO humidity where I live but am having the same problems as people living in highly humid areas.

I checked my spare MISB one as well but thankfully the metal still seems to be silver. Guess I'm going to have to sell it much earlier than I thought... before it starts to downgrade itself.

I'm glad that this is the kind of quality that over $100 bought us. Sheesh.

20. ranoobu

ranoobu I like fried chicken

News Credits:
    Man.. i hope someone is able to reach takara/tomy .. i really want to see what they have to say about this issue..

I hope the japanese collectors have noticed it as well.. they may be able to reach out to them better than people outside of the country can?...

well... i'm starting to wonder if it's something to do with sweat now.. now that someone else mentioned it.. because you have 2 of them.. and only one is having the problem.. both are being exposed to air.. even if the environment isn't really controled (a styrofoam box without human contact vs a non styrofoam with human contact.