mp grimlock - what the hell?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Ghost Prime, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Ghost Prime

Ghost Prime Banned

can someone explain to me why MP Grimlock is SO expensive? i got my 1st MP Convoy for 70 and then my MEGS for 60, my Starscream for 50, Skywarp for 60 and thundercracker for 60 yet MP Grimlock is something like 122!? WTF!? is he made of solid GOLD or something?

2. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign Rodeo Lawyer

News Credits:
    Yes

3. Cyberjet #7

Cyberjet #7 Banned

Having seen the video review, he appears IMO to be very over-priced.

The most I paid for an MP was Megs at $150 when he first came out. However, he had a very detailed transformation and was a much needed revision to any previous Megs.

Really, if you give a few universal joints to G1 Grimlock, he would actually hold up to today's standards - this is not as true with the Seekers, for example. The previous MPs hugely benefited from the MP treatment - Prime, the Seekers, and Megs all needed some kind of uprade and MP made sense and worked very well for them.

This MP Grimlock has silly gimmicks - color-changing eyes and light-up weapons that seem like they could have been excluded to bring the price down. His transformation is *very* close to his G1 version, with some subtle changes; but doesn't evoke the grand-ness of MP engineering.

Megs is a Masterpiece. Grimlock looks like he was designed by Hasbro.

4. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    Oh look, another thread complaining about his price, what a shocker.:rolleyes: 

5. 0R10N P4X

0R10N P4X Banned

News Credits:
    You certainly didn't get your MP figures at retail the day of release. Plus, that issue has been discussed and explained a hundred times already, no need to start another thread about it.

6. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    The eye colour changes are pretty essential, really, if you want to accurately recreate both show and toy versions. I'm very impressed that those functions were included, because it means Grimlock can be displayed as either classic toy or classic cartoon Grimlock updated.

The light up weapons are a case of "including the feature because they can" but it seems to be the best executed case of light up weapons so far, if the video reviews are anything to go by.

Yes, he is a pricey 'bot. But since Megatron, the cost of materials has gone up, the price of shipping has gone up - it all adds up. And as far as I am concerned, he looks like the most playable Masterpiece since Convoy. Megatron and the Seekers were nice updates, but they did not feel very playable, and to be honest, I even regret getting Starscream a little. Grimlock I've been on the fence over due to his cost, but when he arrives soon I'll be happy to report back and say he was worth the money.

7. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't know about the others because I got them later through Ebay, but I know that Skywarp and Thundercracker were roughly $99.95 when they came out, BRAND NEW so I highly doubt that you paid that price for brand new, MISB versions.

Bottom line: If you don't like the price, don't buy it.

8. Rodentus prime

Rodentus prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If they started excluding things to keep the price down it wouldn't really be a Masterpeice anymore - all the bells and whistles are what make it special.

9. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

I'm sure the price will go down. Pricing it so high is simply a way to cash in on eager fanboys, like me.

10. Ghost Prime

Ghost Prime Banned

i did pay those prices. im in the UK for those who dont know. thats why i see paying 122 for grimlock a bloody insult! i got MP Thundercracker for free actually because i did it in a trade with someone

11. 0R10N P4X

0R10N P4X Banned

News Credits:
    And how much did you pay the toys you gave in that trade? :) 

12. ANONYMOUS

ANONYMOUS Well-Known Member

Are you talking in terms of £'s or $'s. When the other MP's came out the exchange rate was around 1£=$2 so 60£ for a Megs equaled around $120. Now if you are saying you bought Megs for $60 dollars then you paid what? around 30£ for a Masterpiece MEG's brand new at retail,. If that is the case you got a hell of a deal.

Now that the exchange rates have dropped so much 1£=$1.40 so I am sure things seem like they cost a lot more. Your currency has lost nearly 30% of its value against the dollar.

13. Ghost Prime

Ghost Prime Banned

i paid 60GBP for megatron on the day of release which is why im sickened with MP Grimlock because he costs 122GBP and THATS the cheapest i can find!?

14. 0R10N P4X

0R10N P4X Banned

News Credits:
    You definitely need to shop around then, you can find Grimlock for much less than that, even by importing it from Japan.

15. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    By my rough calculation, 122 translates to $174.46. You can get one on Ebay right now for $142.77 shipping and all (or £99.84).

16. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    £116 ($164) shipped from Robotkingdom to the UK.

The economy sucks, we all have to deal with it.

17. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Stuff costs money?!

18. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Educate thyself.

China Introduces New Labor Law That Includes Severance Pay - January 2, 2008 - The New York Sun

CSR China - The New Labor Contract Law

http://www.chinalawblog.com/PRC Workers Law.pdf

For the TL;DR crowd - New labor law means Chinese factories have to pay their workers severance pay and can't hire/fire at will to control available labor and labor costs. Result: better treatment of workers but production delays and higher costs for anything made in a Chinese sweat shop.

For his size and accessory count, MP Grim is still cheaper than anything made by Bandai, Yamato, or CM's corp.

19. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    You lie! HE TELL ME!

20. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Hmm, interesting thread.

<goes to play with MP Grimlock>