Heavy/Scratch: MP Cyclonus finished

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by kelvinchang99, Nov 2, 2010.

1. kelvinchang99

kelvinchang99 Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

This other project I have been working on really have been kicking my arse. A new way of paint app, as well as alot of heavy scratch building.

The base as per usual is of an MP Prime. This figure required alot of parts from various transformers, Gundam, and the head sculpt from scratch.

I wanted his ears to look like its from the jet and was very cautious not to make it look like rabbit ears.

I am pleased of the outcome and in particular the alt mode. That alt mode took me ages to complete and finally worked out the best mode of transformation.

Comments welcomed. I am also wondering if I need to add anymore to the knee caps. Those are also scratch built at the moment.

Hope you guys like this.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. kelvinchang99

A few more pics.

Attached Files:

3. Anti-Venom

Anti-Venom Well-Known Member

Wow, just like your other scratch built MP's its amazing!

4. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

I understand that you put a great deal of time and effort into this. Unfortunately, this doesn't work for me. The alt mode looks like mismatched parts. The robot mode looks really good except for the octagon panels for his knees. Needs a little more refinement. It should look more streamline in jet mode.
    Just my opinion. Take it for what it's worth. It's not meant to be mean.

5. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    WOW even-though they don't look like factory made, these still are extremely impressive and I guess MP title suits them well :D  and I guess You're like me focusing on the bot-mode al the time.. great looking :p 

6. heltskelt

heltskelt Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I agree, the hollow cockpit just doesn't say MP to me. You should also see about painting the bottom of the feet evenly. I gotta say that i admire people like you who run with an idea of this magnitude.

7. Alloy Alchemist

Alloy Alchemist Decepticon sympathizer

I think the robot mode is great but as i think you know the knees need some cleaning up/detailing,plane mode is kinda weak but i'm sure you wanna keep this guy in bot mode anyways. I think i know why you like to use mp prime as your base for so many of your customs(great joints and poseablity) but i think with this guy you should have went more the route you did for your hotrod and galvatron (gundam parts) becuse cyclonus has more of there rounded sleek stlye. But as i said before the robot mode dose look great as is...well with some knee work. Anyways good job man!

8. Starfire22

Starfire22 I am dirty dan!

News Credits:
    I love the robot mode, but theres tuts something clunky about the fighter mode, but other than that nice job!

9. Long_Haul

Long_Haul N*ggacon

Thats Pretty slick bro.

10. bellyboy

bellyboy working working working

News Credits:
    2 MP'S IN 1 DAY

MAN THOSE ARE GREAT ,my only critique is the knee caps ,i dont like them ,they make him look clumsy

11. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke A Man, Who Does Not Exist. TFW2005 Supporter

aye, a little filler here and there would take the alt mode far, maybe fold the legs underneath?

I feel its right there on the brink of awesome just needs a little more to push it over. the glavy is pretty phat though =-D

12. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Excellent job on this, Kelvin! I also think the knees could use a bit more work. My suggestion would be to paint the larger octagon that nice purple/blue color and leave the smaller octagon on top with the light shade. That should help it blend it into the leg a bit more and give a smaller knee pad without you having to completely rebuild anything. Maybe add some minor details to the inside of the smaller octagon, but that's up to you, man. I think my suggestion would help it a lot though. Also, maybe put some clear Transformers window packaging into the cockpit as fake windows for it (maybe paint them in a clear red).

Other than that, this custom is gold, my friend! I love the head work you did, and the body is dead-on Cyclonus. I do like the alt mode a lot also. It can only get better with those minor things I mentioned.

Keep up the great work! I'm a huge fan of these MP-scaled customs of yours, K!

13. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Me likes, me likes!

14. phoenixliger

phoenixliger Ogre

Ebay:
    this looks as amazing as well as your other MP excellent way of using mp prime mold for this. I do agree about the knees if i can make a humble suggestion some simple wing stablelizers off a mp skywarp will touch it up some. now you should try doing cyclonus using the seeker mold

15. 1AZRAEL1

1AZRAEL1 Member

Pretty sweet there man, love seeing your customs.

16. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

great work bro. love the colors you used.

17. Megaconvoy

Megaconvoy Active Member

the robot mode is outstanding

18. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

Wow, well done.

19. ALPHAMAGNUS

ALPHAMAGNUS Sector70: Reformatting... Veteran

Wonderful bro! I love your bulky MP style, they all mesh together as a collection. great job

20. kelvinchang99

Wow, thank you for all the comments. All comments are welcomed good or bad. Thats how I can improve the figure as you all know, once you get stuck looking at something for a while, you become narrow visioned about it. I am overwhelmed with everyone's enthusiasm on this custom. Thank you.

So, the feedback has been great. Rather than answering everyone's post, I would like to summarise if the below is everyone's suggestion. Looks like its not as complete but the niggles you guys mentioned actually wont take long.

Alt mode:
    1) Try transforming with the legs at the bottom instead of the top
    2) Put in clear windows to the head of the jet. And paint it clear red.
    3) Look at filling in gaps here and there. It will be less gap if I can get the legs to transform below. The back is actually quite smooth.
    4) Look at installing wing stabilizers
    5) Paint the bottom of the foot. I had intention to and I thought I did, but after I transformed it and set up the photo shots, I thought I would get those up first. But the bottom of the foot will be purple even though the top part is a mash grey.

Bot mode:
    1) The knees need more work. Paint the outer of the knee caps in blue and leave the inner piece in purple.
    2) I am thinking of adding another smaller piece that works as exchaust like the lower leg or remove the arm and install it on these knee caps.

Have I missed anything else.

Thanks for all the comments. Hople to put up some more updates in the next day or so with these suggestions.

Please keep the suggestions coming and I'll see if I can do them.