MP Clearance?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by aledromo, Sep 27, 2010.

1. aledromo

aledromo Decepticon at the Gate

So I've been waiting and waiting to find an MP Grimlock for so long that I think I've found out that I can live without him. As such, I find myself thinking that maybe I could even wait until he goes on some kind of sale.

Which brings me to my question. What do you guys think the odds are of TRU eventually having any kind of clearances on this guy (especially given how hard it is for them to stock him now)? I'd love a Walmart Skywarp situation, but is that likely?

It's raw speculation, but let's get to the speculatin'!

2. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Im gonna say not a chance. Why put him on sale if he is selling so quick at original price?

3. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

I don't think you'll see any crazy clearances. Maybe a buy one get one 50% off or something like $5-$10 cheaper than original price, but TRU doesn't really "clearance." They put things on "clearance," but it's not like Target or Walmart's where they're really trying to get that shit out of their store.

4. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    A sale isn't impossible, but a repeat of the Skywarp probably is.

If it goes on Sale, you'll probably have to be quick..... and lucky too.

5. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    No. You can't live without this toy. It's THAT good.

6. anotheran

anotheran Old skooler

The lowest i've seen TRU exclusives go on sale is 25%. They usually just disappear from the shelves.

7. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    NO WAY TRU puts Grimlock on sale.... nothing ever goes on sale. lol, I brought my GF a 50th anniversary Smurf 3 weeks ago.... that Smurf has been there for 2 YEARS, still full price.:D 

My TRU also has a Gamecube, the purple version at full price.... 200 dollars:lol 

8. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

nah, Clearance is not a word TRU is familiar with at all. The Universe Exclusives, Countdown and Darkwind are STILL there at FULL Price. Two years later. Don't count on Grimlock going the way of Skywarp at Wal*Mart.

9. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You really only have two chances of getting items cheap from TRU. During the annual summer closeout sale when they give you a 20% discount on clearance items or right before the holiday season when they are trying to clear shelf space. Unfortunately, it's usually 2 year old items that get this treatment and then they go back to regular price.

10. aledromo

aledromo Decepticon at the Gate

Oh well. I'd say it didn't hurt to hope, but in this case the morning I spent hoping saw Grimlock go out of stock again on TRU.com!

Get im next time...

11. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i don't think you will find him on sale, i don't think he will go on sale, and closer to christmas i think the less of him you will find.......
    i say hes good enough a figure to pay full price, knowing you are guarenteed to own one and not feeling like you got duped by the price

12. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

If you sign up for their Rewards program,they will frequently send you coupons.Every so often I get one for 20% off one item,so that would take a nice chunk out of it.

13. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If they put him online there is a chance. Mudflap, Countdown, and sigma 6 joes went on sale for a bit.

14. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    Yeah...the BOGO might be the only sale he might fall under. Apparently TRU does detest clearances, and will only do so if items are not moving or there is only very low lingering stock available.

But with exclusives it's extremely rare.

15. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    TRU will look at you confused if you ask about "clearance".

16. Charsiupao

Charsiupao Well-Known Member

I went for a TRU clearance warehouse sale last week, with discounts up to 70%. There wasn't anything I was particularly interested in - just loads of unbranded things. They had Transformers at normal retail price there too, the cheek of them. The only TF on clearance was Autobot Wheelie - if you wanted an army of Deluxe Wheelies you were really in luck!

17. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Every ROTF exclusive multipack shelfwarmed for a year without clearance. Only recently did they dock the price of Bludgeon/Whirl ajd the Nemesis set. In fact, they've recently raised the prices of the other two. Grimlock has no chance.

18. trex5000

trex5000 Autobot

Ebay:
    He was on sale here when he first came out for $54. they were gone the minute they were on the shelf. then the next wave came at 69, and now he's at 79, but he's stocked.

19. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Wal*mart's discount of Masterpiece Optimus Prime and Skywarp has simply spoiled way too many fans.

20. motorhead9999

motorhead9999 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I remember a couple years, the last version of MP Prime to be re-released at TRU ended up going on clearance for $20. Everything gets clearanced out at some point, so at some point Grimlock will get clearanced, but a)it won't be soon, and b)finding one at that point will probably be fairly hard, and will more than likely sell out faster than they are now.