Heavy/Scratch: MP/Classics swoop

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Lt. Faceless, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Lt. Faceless

Lt. Faceless I'm a puppet

This is a very early WIP.After looking around and not finding a customizer style i needed for this.So i'm going to attempt it on my own.This my first real custom...I'm a mearsure 5 times,cut 1 kind of guy.I'm waiting on to hear from Scuplt-bot on if he still makes the Swoop kits(does anyone know?)Am i on the right track?

As far as the Classic title goes.I use MP Grimlock for my Classics Grimlock.Its a better scale for them.If Swoop turns out good,i might try a MP Prime in Sludge(the bronco,if thats the wrong name).

2. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

interesting transformation you have going on. looking forward to this. the dino head and bot head will be a challenge

3. Lt. Faceless

Thats why i'm hoping Scuplt-bot still makes the Kits and i can afford them.Any tips on spraypaint?If i have to use a brush,it will look like crap.I'm going for the MP Grimlock vibe,flat greys,cromes.

What part of NC are you from?

4. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I am with Viper on this....neat idea for the transformation.

Ohh man... asking about painting and such is just asking for so many opinions...I would suggest checking out the tutorials... but I think most would agree on using enamels. I would suggest looking into the fusion line at wally world... or check out your local hobby shop for some nice testors lacquers/enamels..

And having SB's add on would make this project much easier..

5. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

Either way, it's going to be a challenge. Are you handy with a dremel?

I'm inbetween rocky mount and greenville, if you're fmiliar with those cities. what about you? if you're close enough by, i'd be more than happy to come over one day and help out.

6. Lt. Faceless

Thanks.enamles then.Walmart is the better option for me,hobby shops are few and far between for me.Whats a good clear coat?Sorry for all the question,like i said...Mearusre 10x cut 1x.

Edit:I also like to play with my toys,so i need something that will hold up.

I can't make no promises on the dremel part.The less of that i have to do,the better.

Locust.Inbetween Monre,Charlotte,Concord.I'm not to sure hor far you are.

7. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

yea, that's around 5 hours.

i'll tell you in advance, there will be a lot of cutting and glueing required (use either Plastic Fusion epoxy (sold in harbor freight in raleigh) or devcon plastic weld (you need to buy online, NC no longer carries it).

These are the strongest glues you can use for hard plastic.

8. Lt. Faceless

Wow,5 hours. Super strong glue,got ya.I can't even think of the closest hobby store is to me.Got any links for the stuff you recommend?

9. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

if you have a harbor freight nearby, they should carry the Plastic Fusion. If not, you can order it from their site, and idealtruevalue.com carries the devcon plastic weld.

10. Lt. Faceless

cool thanks.

11. Lt. Faceless

Small Update: Trying out animated Grimlocks dino legs for Swoops alt. mode legs.Tell me how it looks.

12. Darth Wave

Darth Wave Well-Known Member

huh... very nice!

13. Sculpt-bot

Sculpt-bot So waddya want, a medal?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Promising start! Sorry for the late reply, i just caught the PM, and came straight to the thread after that. I never really produced "kits" for Swoop, but I made individually cast parts to allow for replication. I have the dino head, bot head w/crest, sword and missile launchers. I built each set of wings individually out of styrene, so those would be costly. Let me know what you need, and I will see what I can do!

14. Lt. Faceless

Awsome,Thanks SB.I'm working on adding Animated Grimlocks tail for a tail for Swoop.The next update might be slow coming.I need to start looking for some spray paint.Thanks for the feedback everyone.

15. Buzby74

Buzby74 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    This is looking good to start. Ive used this base for my MP Swoop as well. I like the look in dino mode, looks very interesting and pretty well thought out with the Grimmy legs.

I will be watching this project.

Oh, the clear coat you asked about earlier is a varnish I believe. After a model has been painted, the clear coat goes over all and holds/locks the color in. If you dont use it, the color tends to chip away or just wont last as long.

16. Lt. Faceless

I really didn't think anything out.I was cleaning out my sons toys and seen his animated grimlock.The joints on the legs is very tight,so i'm seem like they are going to be able to hold the weight.

Whats a good clear coat to use?There isn't really much of a transformation here,so i don't expect alot of rub to wear paint off.

17. Buzby74

Buzby74 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Ive been using the Games workshop aerosol pray satin finish, which is called purity seal for my projects. Im not an expert on painting/clear coating though. Sorry. ive only done two customs in the past. One was the Heavy scratch Swoop, and the other was a ROTF Ravage delux repaint. Before I used it, paint came off from just trying to pose it, but with the the varnish on now, the paint job has lasted ages and still as good as when i did it.

Im sure some others have suggestions and recomendations.

18. Gatchaman

Gatchaman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You're close to my neck of the woods! There is a harbor freight on South Blvd in Pineville between 485 and hwy 51. There's also a Hobbytown USA on HWY 51 in a shopping center next to a play it again sports between johnston and park rd extension. Hobbytown would be a good source for Styrene if you're going to scratchbuild the dino wings. I Like your idea of using Ani Grimmy's legs, good luck!

19. Lt. Faceless

Is that down towards the TRU,by the mall?I live maybe 10-15 min. from this end of 51.As fas a building the wings,Can you get decent hinges?I might have to meet up with you out there 1day and let you show me some stuff i could need.

20. Gatchaman

Gatchaman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yup, hobbytown is right before you get to the mall on the left in the same strip as the graduate & the harbor freight is in the strip mall on south blvd just past the cadillac place on the rt. I've not done an MP swoop, so not sure about what thinckness you'd want, but they have a whole rack with sheets, rods, tubes, etc... of varying thicknesses and they also have diff sizes of nylon hinges. PM me if you want to meet up there one day.