MP and G1 Jetfire upgrades???

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Zeitgeist, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Zeitgeist

Zeitgeist Well-Known Member

first off the nice guys over in the Macross thread directed me toward this beauty tonight.

1/48 VF-1S Transformable Valkyrie Hikaru Ichijo

1/48 VF-1S Transformable Valkyrie Hikaru Ichijo | HobbyLink Japan

I'm adding him to my Classics Transformers display. I think he'll go well in scale with MP grimlock and faith leader. After all, Jetfire is one of the biggest Autobots.

How many of you all are using this piece either with MPs or Classics as Jetfire in our Transformers collections?

What I'm wondering is has a third party considered making red jet pack type upgrades for this version that the original G1 Jetfire came with? What do you think? Should they?

Also does any third party sell reproduction pieces needed (red jet pack parts) to add to make a Jetfire using the 1992 rerelease of the G1 Valkyrie.

2. Cecilia

Cecilia Transforming

nah I like my jetfire blocky, I mean, I never had a history with the original toy, just with the cartoon G1 character and the IDW one so mech.. not.

3. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    I thought there was a version of that toy that sold with the jetpacks, etc.

4. Zeitgeist

that's pretty much exactly what i used to say. :) 

i cant nail down EXACTLY why i changed my mind, but untill a 3rd party awesome G1 cartoon/comic accurate Jetfire comes out this guy will take his place... and if someone ever does make another more toon/comicish jetfire, i'll still have the iconic macross valkyire updated into this awesome piece for display, possible near voltron. :) 

too me, once i included faith leader and mp grimock in my classics display, the "classics" Jetfire looks woefully small. i like the IDW stormbringer design enough not to sell it, yet.

i do need to add the G1 version though, and id love some red jetpacks for them. :D 

5. Zeitgeist

someone posted this in the macross thread. perfect. i think he said it was a custom though. this is exactly what im looking for.

[​IMG]

6. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yea, I think you have to buy the parts for it and paint then for the figure, though for some reason I feel like there is a stock figure that you don't have to paint.. I can't tell you where though..

7. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've considered it but it's an expensive proposition (with all the fast pack add-ons) and the end result leaves something to be desired. Ultimately, it's a Macross figure trying to pass itself off as a Transformer (and sticks out like a sore thumb to me when it's shoehorned into a mixed Classics/MP display, but that's just MHO; YMMV and everyone's tastes differ).

I could maybe justify it if there was a 3P add-on available to at least replace the head and some of the weapons with more G1 accurate representations of the original Sunbow cartoon character but the stock Macross head just does nothing for me, along with the inaccurate torso area and overall coloration and proportions. I'm still holding out hope a 3P like FansToys or something can make an accurate Jetfire (after they make their Soundwave, Blaster, and Shockwave, of course).

8. jbz

jbz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  9. Zeitgeist

i hear ya guys. to me this 1/45 is a perfect update of the original 1/55 jetfire valkyrie. it really is spot on if you compare the two. it is only lacking the "fast pack" upgrades. which you can buy and paint.

until some 3rd party does make a toon/comic jetfire, this is my guy. i love the size and i expect the quality to be top notch.

the price i got it for wasn't too far off for what id have to pay for one of those perfect effect arcee/chromia bots, so it seemed like a deal to me. :) 

i WOULD like to add a G1 jetfire 1/55 Valkyrie, but id like it to be mint. i may buy a real G1, but sometimes i cam concerned with the how old the plastic actually is. an identical reissue with the fast pack parts might make me happier. :) 

yeah so im kinda ocd about the condition. no yellowing allowed and no broken stuff... it would be about $200 for a mint complete, right?

10. Cecilia

Cecilia Transforming

I´ve tried to change my mind, but I am a huge fan of blocky robots and ships and that made cartoon Jetfire look incredible in my eyes all blocky.

As for valks, the only one I truly wish for is a tF-19, which I plan on getting this year yet... I like how it is more diferent than a regular Earth jet and kind of remembers a Swan in shape :p 

11. locidm

locidm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    technically, an official Macross product is in no shape or form a 3rd party product.

And the Hikaru VF-1S was not made with any intent to "pretend" it's a jet fire. It's a Hikaru VF-1S through and through and nothing else.

What fans do with it is their own decision and preference. But as a Macross fan it offends me to hear that the Yamato 1/48 Hikaru VF-1S is a Jet Fire wannabe, because it's not. It is just the close to perfect rendition of the VF-1S.

12. 1987olds442

1987olds442 Cam Maximus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Okay, so why is this in the 3rd Party Transformers section?

13. Zeitgeist

isn't that a little dramatic? no offense intended. i surely never called it a wannabe, and that word did not occur in this thread until you used it.

one problem i had in figuring this out was i know very little about macross toys other than having watched the cartton on dvd. i thought a 3rd party would have to make (what i now know are called fast pack parts) i thought the original jetfire came with unique parts.

so thats why i started the thread here.

mods may move if desired, but id at least like a thread about the macross jetfire connection to stay where transformers fans will see it and not only macross fans because there may be trans fans who dont know this awesome option is out there for them to fill a hole in their transformers collections. i know i didn't until recently.

like i said, i look at this as a win win. the awesome 1/45 valkyrrie can be my classics jetfire. if they do make a toon/comic accurate jetfire ill still buy it, but i will still keep my 1/45 valkyrie because it is an awesome near perfect representation of the original iconic macross toy.

i dont want to get into collecting macross though. i spend enough money on transformers. :D  so that 1 will have to be enough.

14. locidm

locidm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was in a dramatic mood. :)  Just wanted to convey the message to fans (if any exist, not directed at you) who are unhappy with Hikaru VF-1S because it's not accurate to Jet Fire, that it's not accurate because that's not who he is.

15. Zeitgeist

ok i understand then. :) 

i cant wait to get this in hand because i have heard so much love for the quality of these toys.

16. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's a 3rd party TRANSFORMER, even if it's a licensed Macross toy. Particularly if you have to add reprolabels to it.

17. jbz

jbz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've seen it range between $300 and $100. The yellowing is the tough part. Sometimes it doesn't show up on auction pics. I like that 1/45 one you linked. I just bought a VF-1S 1/55:

Origin of Valkyrie VF-1A Super Valkyrie (Maximilian Jenius ver.) | CollectionDX

Good luck in your choice :) 

18. locidm

locidm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's a hard argument to make, given Yamato has absolutely nothing to do with transformers and never intended to make anything transformers with their VF-1S releases. Fans may re-purpose it, but it doesn't make VF-1S a third party product nor does it make Yamato a 3rd party company.

19. Zeitgeist

yeah, im not calling them third party, i just thought the fast pack parts would have to be made by a 3P company because i didnt realize they were actually a macross upgrade pack themselves. i gues the thread could be moved to just transformers toys section, but it doesnt really fit their either. i just want jetfire fans to be able to find the thread to see that awesome 1/45.

20. locidm

locidm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was actually responding to Scaleface's comment. Not arguing about the placement of this thread because I agree, it's one of those thread that doesn't 100% fit in either. :)  I do in general like the idea that Macross stuff is getting exposed in the transformers world, especially Yamato's great product. I own a number of their 1/60 valkyries and their Patlabor ingram and the Danguard Ace figures, all of which are excellent!