MP-5 Fears: Overblown or Accurate?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Phorpus, Feb 24, 2007.

1. Phorpus

Phorpus RHco.

With all of this talk back and forth over MP-05's trial of pain in order to get into the U.S. I've been trying to figure out if what people are saying are exaggerations or accurate. From what I can understand customs will let him pass if he's in robot mode since all they do is a fast-pass X-ray and not a full-blown autopsy.

And the Reissue 6 Megatrons seem to be coming into the US without any problems and they have die-cast, a tad, and are packaged in gun mode with an array of parts and bullets.

But then there's the whole "Hasbro might try to block him" thing that is scary in a way, if true.

So is all of this nail-biting over Megatron realistic or overblown?

And have there been precendents of anything like this happening before?

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    To tell you the truth. I don't care. I'm not going to get him, so it doesn't bother me. If I was, the whole orange cap thing wouldn't bother me, because I would know that it would be there before hand. Now if I didn't know about it, and expected him to come un-modified, but they did put the orange cap on him, that would bother me. Peace out.

3. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Unfortunately there's no precedents since the toy gun laws are more recent and in the last couple years have only gotten stricter. Back when Megatron was reissued, and then re-reissued, it wasn't that big a deal to get one in the US, I've got the 16th reissue with the clear window showing gun mode on my shelf now. This is the first time I've heard of a realistic toy gun with such a heavy import demand to cause Hasbro and import stores concern.

The problem is if it was packaged in gun mode, or if the packaging depicted it as a toy gun, like recent Masterpiece releases have done, which unfortunately it does. I don't think we'll be able to tell really if the fears and worries are overblown or not until it's officially released.

4. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm going with "overblown to the extreme". I can see there being a pretty significant chance of him being spotted in an x-ray scan if he were shipped in gun mode; but as that's not the case, I'm not worried at all. Going by my own past experience, the Goodbye Megs giftset, TFC #6, and all three of the D-16 reissues (normal, Megaplex, and black) had no problem reaching me from Japan within the last couple of years - and each of those is packed in gun mode.

The other thing that I find confusing is that there's a lot of concern about even being able to FIND an unmodified MP-05, as if they're going to be scarce compared to the 'modded' versions. Every toy retailer in Japan is going to be getting these things; do we honestly think that the tiny handful being imported by BBTS, TFSource and others can even compare to those numbers? Not even close... so in answer to the thread title, as far as I'm concerned, it's much ado about nothing - we've just had a long time to get worked up about it.

5. Turbocharger

Turbocharger We should get more letter

I've ordered airsoft guns from the internet, never had a problem, I don't see why this would be that much different.

6. Kristof

Kristof Well-Known Member

I have to say, eBay is probably our best bet for getting these things unmodified.

7. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

I'm going with slighly overblown. It's not like they're going to mod it heavily.

8. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

You know, it's quite entertaining to watch a fandom explode with panic over a matter like this. All the better when I don't care much about the figure myself. :)  There should be some concern, at least for those "crazy" MISB guys, but the situation is definitely overblown.

9. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

Wasn't the first time, and it's not going to be the last either.

If nothing else, there will be a truckload of MP5 sold unmodded on ebay.

10. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

That wasn't even remotely in question - I haven't been in the movie forum at any TF site for months now, and I plan on keeping it that way until well after the film's release!

Talk about overblown.

11. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

I've ordered mine from HLJ. I don't see any reason why they would have to mod the toy.

12. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

I don't think I've seen any posts of fear regarding anybody who's going to keep an unmodded version sealed, so your comment is unfounded.

The real concern, in reality, is simply not getting the figure at all without an atrocious orange tip.

I happen to think it is overblown and that the whole thing may be much ado about nothing.

13. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

I'm sure that there will be plenty of unmodded versions for those that want them. My biggest fear is that he may turn out to be a QA/QC nightmare...I'm holding off until I see some reviews.

14. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

wouldn't hasbro trying to block imports go against our rights to buy whatever we want?

PS- I AM AWARE OF THE GUN LAWS. THANKS.

15. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's complicated. Since Hasbro owns the rights to distribute the Transformers brand in specific regions, they have every right to block Takara themselves from distributing in certain areas. I'm sure it is a concern when internet and local retail distributers purchase directly from overseas vendors to sell in foreign markets. It appears to go overlooked when the Transformer is question is imported in relatively small numbers. But a character as popular as Megatron and the fact that it is a Masterpiece figure adds to the attention. Not to mention the legal concerns that could arise due to a realistic toy gun made by Takara, a company directly linked to Hasbro.

16. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

so when will we know if hasblow is going to block megs.