MP-43 Beast Wars Megatron

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Knightsword, May 9, 2018.

1. Darkstone

Darkstone Code of Hero

News Credits:
    The base purple is normal paint / molded plastic but all of the lighter stripes and spots are applied via this new paint application method. You can see it in the really high-res close-up shots because it look a bit "fuzzy".

So KO makers would need to find a way around this if replicating Takara's process to apply the paint detail truly is the issue.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. Joalro

Joalro Well-Known Member

Pardon my ignorance, but why do they need to replicate the painting process to knock it off? Couldn't they create the mould and just paint it in a more classical fashion? It may not be identical, but I would think old painting techniques would be good enough to at least come pretty close.

• Like Like x 2
  3. TaurusOxford

TaurusOxford Well-Known Member

Huh, now that i'm seeing it this close, it's really obvious. It almost looks like waterslide decals being applied over the base purple plastic - I can even see the edges of where the effect ends.

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    It would look hella cheap, though. And if they tried painting the stripes they'd have sharp edges and lack the gradient.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Joalro

Joalro Well-Known Member

Sure, but it could then also be $100 USD cheaper. I feel like if they could get the mould right and it was only just the paint that wasn't right, it's likely they could still sell it and make some money off it.

Plus, some of the old beast war figures have some pretty neat paint jobs that don't use that effect and still look pretty damn good. I mean, I feel like if they can do the paint job on Terrorgator back in 1997, they can do something decent with Megatron that uses older techniques, but still looks half decent.

6. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

Perhaps, but now you're detracting from the allure of a high end collectible figure from a reputable name. Once you start taking this away and that away, ie this brand new paint application, you are now lowering the entire value of the figure.

No one buys the Ferrari with a Ford engine.

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    "Half-decent" wouldn't be MP level, though.

• Like Like x 2
  8. pegasusprime

pegasusprime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I woulnd mind dont having that paint on a usa release the telemocha is a great example of what can be achieve in a traditional way

9. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    The MPM optimus KO is largely better than the original in every way...

...But it does not use this new painting/printing method on the yellow gradient on the front wheel fenders like the official release has. It is noticeably worse for not doing it. I imagine screwing it up over the entire toy instead of only screwing up the front fenders would look disastrously bad.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Joalro

Joalro Well-Known Member

Sure, I get that. I'm just saying, I would personally be surprised if this was the ONLY thing stopping a knock-off from happening. I just imagine, considering the price of Megatron, there'd be a pretty decent "good enough" market.

• Like Like x 2
  11. MarikZero

MarikZero Well-Known Member

He's talking about a possible KO tho'

• Like Like x 1
  12. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

Right, that's what I'm saying. Everyone wants a ko, everyone says they'll wait....but now that takara has raised the bar again, this time with the paint, these kos cannot compete.

13. Joalro

Joalro Well-Known Member

Except with cost...

Look, I got Megatron preordered. I want him. I have never bought a knock off before, and I suspect I wouldn't start with Megatron. I like the figures Takara is putting out and I want to support and encourage them to continue to put out MP BW cause I love BW.

That said, in Canadian dollars it's going to cost me over $350. I can almost buy a PS4 with that money. It's insane. I'm honestly not sure I can afford to keep this preorder, it's a big chunk of money. Am I crazy, or does no one else think there is a market for a figure that is objectively not as good as MP Megatron, but still very good but a lot cheaper? I probably wouldn't buy myself, but I think there are others who would buy the most expensive MP figure to date at a reduced cost with some tradeoffs.

• Like Like x 1
  14. MarikZero

MarikZero Well-Known Member

Yes, if it's true that KO companies are unable to replicate the paint techniques Takara is using then no KO will be at the same level of the original. But I see where @Joalro is coming from: if the KO version would cost 100-150$ less, then there can be a market for it. Not everybody is interested in perfection.

EDIT: ninja'd by Joalro lol

• Like Like x 1
  15. Chopper Face

Chopper Face Emissary of The Vok

I’d buy a cheaper KO of all the Beast Wars MPs (1:1 scale) purely to do my own battle-damaged paint job- so KO companies not being able to replicate the dot-print is not an issue for me.
    I appreciate I’m probably in the minority as someone who’s willing to buy a figure with the intent to disassemble and paint it themself though and, if KO companies aren’t able to at least match the current quality of the paint without breaking the bank, there’s no point in them even trying to release copies of these guys.

16. JustPrime

JustPrime Well-Known Member

Same. "Affordable" enough to double dip for me. Pretty happy with 24,087.

I think I saw the dead horse twitch over there, so I'll beat it once more with my 2 cents on price. I can understand the upset feelings for those who have been collecting MPs since MP-10 or earlier. I started with MP-32 and only care about BW MPs, so I haven't been used to the car bot prices. That being said, as far as extravagant, over indulgent collectible figures go, I don't see $250ish (most are getting it even cheaper) being unheard of or unreasonable, especially for one that has as many features as Megatron. Sure it's expensive, but that doesn't mean it isn't worth it.

I've bought a bunch SW collectibles, hot toys, and sideshow figures, so I guess I'm a bit used to paying stupid amounts of money for dust collectors. It's not logical, but none of this hobby really is. Grown man collecting plastic. I just hope Lego never releases another $800 SW set again. THAT was a hard pill to swallow.

TLDR: I think it's fair to say Megatron is expensive, I don't think it's fair to say he's not worth the price tag.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
  17. ElekTriC

ElekTriC Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    who wants a megs that doesnt look like the real thing?!

18. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

Yep yep .....I see what ya'll are saying. I do.

I also agree with the insane cost of some of these recent figs.

I bought megatron at $250 and said that would be my last "that expensive" figure. Then I preordered BW megs this week at a similar price. Soooooo? Lol

In the end, it's an expensive amount of money for a toy ....but then again, these MPs are marketed to a specific cross section of a specific group.....so not being able to afford them will happen from time to time.

19. oku

oku Oh.

News Credits:
    KO company just have better things to do at the moment. Any oversized studio series would be easier to turn profit.

• Like Like x 3
  20. CryptiniteDemon

CryptiniteDemon Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Several mp releases would beg to differ

• Like Like x 1