MP-4 or MP-10? some specific questions

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Xonic, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Xonic

Xonic Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    So, I know threads like this have been bouncing about for a time now, but I have some quite specific questions which i'm not sure if have been directly asked.
    1. Given that we now have a masterpiece rolar and gun, or a fansproject battle rolar accessory for mp-4, is the debate about the lack of a Rolar still relevant?
    2. do people think there are less quality issues with mp-4? certainly seems that way with mp-10 fingers falling off, shoulder joints not staying in place, legs and or feet popping apart in cab mode etc.
    3. Is mp-4 a nicer toy to hold and play with? I ask this as someone with no sight, I know mp-4 has a ton of metal on him where as mp-10 does not. I like the idea of a metal Prime.
    4. in terms of the trailers, does mp-4s trailer have as much detail as mp-10s trailer? for example does it have all the little controls inside that the g1 version had? what do you miss by not getting the mp-10 trailer?
    5. Is the opening matrix really worth it in mp-4? I would have thought it is, certainly I was surprrised they didn't make it for 10, but what do people think?
    6. How massively massive is mp-4s trailer? do people have measurements? really interested in height width and depth in CM when opend and closed, mainly to see if it would even fit on a shelf. Also, what can you get inside it?
    7. Just to throw this out there, what are some really bad things about mp-4? I ask as i've heard a lot of complaints about mp-10 and honestly I am swaying towards 4, but, anything really bad that stands out in peoples opinion?
    8. fiinal question, i've heard people complain a lot about scale. scale doesn't bother me at all, but just how bad is bad? what don't people like about the scale? is he in scale with Grimlock for example, since toys are us grimlock is my only other MP?

Thanks.

Oh and also, as a final final question, i've heard mp-4s fingers are all articulated where as mp-10s even though they're supposed to be, are not, with 3 of the fingers stuck together and the thumbs don't bend. So which has the nicer hands?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2012
  2. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

I on;y have MP-01, not MP-04 so I can't comment on the trailer, but I can comment on the figure itself.

There's a lot of metal, which gives it a lot of heft. A lot of people consider that a good thing, but it means that his posability is really, really limited (at least in terms of his legs) since he's too heavy to support really dynamic poses.

3. JackJJW

JackJJW Well-Known Member

I don't have MP-04 but I do have MP-08 and MP-10. There is no way I would now be tempted to buy MP-04. The scale for the newer model works really well with Grimlock and the other upcoming releases. The mold is also a million times more appealing in my view. I'm not fussed about the opening matrix personally, I guess it would be nice but I'm more than happy with a beautiful sculpt and poseability, I don't see the point in gimmicks. That's only one view of course :)  I posted some pics of MP-08 and MP-10 in the masterpiece appreciation thread. The scale is spot on in my eyes.

4. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

And for the fingers: MP-01/04 has individually articulated fingers. They each can move independently of one another. In theory, this gives him unlimited posing options, but in practice is means he can either hold things poorly, or do "air quotes."

The fingers are always in a gripping position so something like pointing or spreading out the fingers always looks pretty unnatural.

5. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    1. It varies from person to person, but I think most people would agree that a Masterpiece Prime package should contain the relevant accoutrements, and Roller is a part of that. For the record, Battle Rollar was by TFC. There are other MP-4 scaled Rollers, but none by Fansproject.

2. I don't think there's a clear winner in the mold quality department. MP-10's finger problem is highly exaggerated. MP-4's main issues are a result of his construction: top-heavy, difficult to pose, and paint chipping. MP-10 has issues with stress marks and weak ankle joints. Generally speaking, MP-10 feels like a better figure, as you would expect from years of engineering improvements.

3. See 2.

4. MP-10's trailer has a few extra gimmicks, but for the most part they're both boxes that are secondary to the Prime figure itself.

5. I don't miss that gimmick, but I think the respective Matrices work well with their host figures. Tie.

6. 13.5" long.

7. See 2. In addition, it's not quite as cartoon accurate as MP-10, and tying into your last question...

8. MP-4 is in a scale of his own with MP-5. Grimlock is about the same height as MP-10, however, MP-10 is supposed to be going by the cartoon scale all new MPs onward will be using, meaning MP-8 is actually still too small. So far, only MP-3 and MP-9 are approximately aligned with the new scale.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  6. Xonic

Xonic Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    With regards to mp-10, I've heard the TRU US release had better colours and a reduced price tag. Is that true and if so, does it also have those damnable shorter stacks? I really dig the longer stacks :) 

7. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Lighter, arguably more cartoon-accurate colors. The smokestacks remain the same length, since they are somewhat collapsible. He's retailing for $99 in the US, but the prices vary greatly once you factor in overseas pricing and the aftermarket: anywhere from $99 to $250.

8. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hmmm...interesting question as it seems that your experience witht eh figures will be completely tactile.

(To other posters - the OP is blind, so this really affects things.)

Because of this, I can't see poseability being something that is important. You aren't going to be staring at what a cool pose Optimus can make your going to experience him entirely through surface detail and how they flow together.

On that merit, I think MP-10 clearly wins the surface detail department. In both modes he's just more cartoon like, less misplaced surfaces that break up the impression of Optimus being "alive".

There are cool gimmicks that can be experienced on MP-04 and the heft of the die cast and cool feel will be appreciated. But the poor surface flow of the alt mode will leave a lot to be desired.

In all honesty it's kind of a toss up and I can't really speak for which you personally respond better to; weight and feel of the diecast or smooth and unified surface detail.

9. DBarricade

DBarricade General Nutcase

If you really need your die cast fix, MP-04 will deliver in spades. There's plenty of molded detail in the trailer, but no extra control consoles aside from inside the repair drone. An Alternator or Binaltech figure will comfortably fit within the trailer. Both trailers still do essentially the same thing, just MP-10 has Roller right from the get-go. MP-10 holds his gun much better than MP-04 since it pegs into the hand rather than try and rely on the fingers and thumb to do the same.

However, MP-04 does have the light up Matrix gimmick that you won't be able to enjoy due to being blind... If you want to go with that, I'd suggest having a friend remove the little watch batteries that power it so they don't leak and leave a potentially nasty mess inside.

10. Xonic

Xonic Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Actually guys, I think i'm convinced, mp-10 it is. Once again I'm very very happy to be part of these boards, everyone is so friendly and offers such good advice. I read a very interesting debate about metal and plastic on the mp-10 review and have to agree, whilst I like it, too much is sometimes too much. I think the mp-10 is about 5lbs lighter than 4 if I recall. Also, i think the mp-10 sounds like a much better put together package in general, so I think i'll be getting the TRU version of that, plus swipe, soundwave and mp-11 scream :)  oh boy, need more shelf space :)