MP-39: Masterpiece Sunstreaker

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Spark Extractor, May 22, 2017.

1. Robotmonkeys

Robotmonkeys Sons of Cybertron

Ebay:
    Look at online videos with the instructions, that helps me quite a bit.

The first time I transformed him back to bot mode, one of the side mirrors popped off. Luckily I found it and figured out how to pop it back in.

I also agree with the windshield, the second time I transformed him, it slipped off of the hinge. My heart dropped! But everything was fine.

Takara has definitely upped the ante on these figures with Sunstreaker. I’m excited to see what’s in store with the next car bot.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Silvershot

Silvershot On The Double Dutch Bus

News Credits:
    When transforming back to robot mode, I had the hardest time getting the windshield to rotate back without popping off. Then I figured it out - if you the windshield halfway around (or 90 degrees) so it is on his side, and the pull the hood off of his rear end and under his legs, and then flip the hip guards back, you can rotate the windshield the rest of the way with little to no problem. Hope that helps.

3. BWfan86

BWfan86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Pics or a video?

4. Optimus Prime23

Optimus Prime23 Lighting our Darkest Hour

News Credits:
    Isn't it supposed to be, "Pics or GTFO"? :p 

• Like Like x 1
  5. franpincho

franpincho Snowflake magnet

I must have transformed mine 30+ times and there's absolutely nothing wrong with him. What a joy, none of the Carbots comes close to this.

This is why I'm now selling all my Hasui/pre Magnus bots and dropping my Prowl + PO.

I simply can not stand how dated all those are/feel in comparison. They are like bricks in my collection!

Now now, I understand how this might not be a popular topic to some, but I have zero doubts TT will redo most of them anyway. You can't have Sunny with MP 12, you just can't. I simply don't care how you justify it, but they simply don't look good together. If you like it, that's totally fine. But they simply do not match.

The seeker mold is a disgrace by today's standards, so I'm glad I sold those when they were worth something, same with MP-10. Bumblebee is passable, but that's it. Tracks seems OK so I might hold on to it.

6. BWfan86

News Credits:
    I have to disagree with you - the only superarticulated non-Hasui bots are ?Inferno, Hot Rod 2.0, Megatron, and Sunstreaker. And Hot Rod 2.0 has enought other problems that prevent it from being a great figure, IMO. You would have to dump the remainder. Even the vanettes are on par with the Hasui bots, articulation-wise. I agree with you that the seeker mold is very outdated though- even some design choices at the time it was released are questionable. That being said, I don't see what's wrong with MP18, 20, 21, and 27. You certainly won't get something so vastly improved as to warrant replacing it, IMO.

Good luck waiting for TT to redo everyone and finish the ark crew- at the current rate it will take another 10 years. And by then, Sunstreaker will be out of date and you will have to dump your collection again. Do Soundwave, Prowl, Wheeljack, Bee, and Ironhide really need to be able to hold a gymnastic/ yoga pose?

• Like Like x 3
  7. Predaking000

Predaking000 Well-Known Member

I think you and I have different definitions for a "brick."

• Like Like x 3
  8. Sam

Sam #moremasterpiece

News Credits:
    Woah, I can understand expecting Sideswipe to be redone, but damn. I sold off almost all my pre MP-21 bots awaiting + releases, but 20+ and 18+ will more than satisfy me. Skipping 17+ is cray cray.

No need to refer to the Seekers as Hasui bots either as that was Kobayashi reclaiming MP-3 from Kawamori's changes.

Also BWF for what it's worth he didn't mention selling Ironhide.

• Like Like x 3
  9. BWfan86

News Credits:
    I know- only reason I mentioned Ironhide was that it was a non-Hasui bot similar in articulation to the Hasui bots since there is the insinuation that Kobayashi bots are somehow vastly superior. The only 2 G1 bots that are a level above the rest appear to be megatron and sunstreaker

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  10. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think the vanettes have better articulation anyway then the Hasui's bots surprisingly

• Like Like x 1
  11. BWfan86

News Credits:
    How so? As much as I like Ironhide, I think his posing is definitely limited (Definitely less than MP20 and MP21, IMO) in the arms (partially by his large chest)

12. jackisking

News Credits:
    They are better off than the earlier bots, somebody did a review for Sunstreaker and compared some of the other bots
    Masterpiece 39 Sunstreaker

13. Sam

Sam #moremasterpiece

News Credits:
    His ball-jointed head goes a long way in giving him more expressiveness. His knee swivel is also nice in giving him more balance (same as MP-10, but missing from the new Prime). Apart from that, nothing extra than Bumblebee and Wheeljack (but at least he and Ratchet can sit down, unlike MP-10 and MP-17).

• Like Like x 2
  14. RichP

RichP Well-Known Member

Don’t forget how his ankle tilt and wide feet help with stability. He can pull off a one legged running pose whereas the others cannot. Bumblebee maybe can too

• Like Like x 1
  15. franpincho

franpincho Snowflake magnet

You know, we don't see eye to eye on many things, but it's all good.

I think that the Van Bros are way ahead of anything before it in terms of articulation and most importantly to me, in terms of cartoon accuracy. Yeah, the hips are unfortunate (that 3P kit is GREAT).

Look, what we had was and is great, but based simply on personal taste, it just doesn’t compare to what we are getting. Yeah, newer means better but not necessarily.

Arcadia does their Macross valks all the same. Insane articulation, great transformations and amazing cartoon accuracy. They all share the same idea, and they all come at a high price. Very, very high.

What I personally believe is that this is the way the line will go forward, and while unfortunate (price), it is a positive change IMO.

TT can now do what other JP companies do and release cartoon accurate bots with very sophisticated transformations and articulation that’s not only about yoga poses, but much, much more. Budget is no longer an issue.

What I want is irrelevant, I simply know that some of the previous bots will be redone, it only makes sense.

An ultra articulated Soundwave/Strascream/Wheeljack would sell much more copies than a Dinobot. And I can’t wait.

Maybe. And that’s fine.

I just think that those MP’s are simply not good enough anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  16. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not really, unless your point of reference is MP-10, who can't move his hips and knees 90 degrees. Ironhide's about the same as everyone else before him. Slightly less than Prowl & Co, even, since their shoulder transformation affords them some extra movement. Ironhide and Ratchet don't have any of the extra bells and whistles of the latest figures. No ab crunch or multi-jointed elbows and knees, no multi-directional shoulders. The only signs of the "new" articulation style in them is pull-out neck joint.

• Like Like x 1
  17. BWfan86

News Credits:
    Bee and Jack can definitely pull off the one legged pose because of their wide feet and ankle tilts

• Like Like x 1
  18. jackisking

News Credits:
    Oh none of the new fancier stuff but for the Vanettes to be as blocky as they are probably on par overall with the Datsun and Lambor molds. It's obvious articulation was not such an obvious priority with the first few bots. For them to be sleeker cars they didn't turn out as articulate as guys like Hot Rod and even Tracks (if you know how to use him). It's probably just me but I have the hardest time posing them on the shelf doing "nothing" meaning not holding a gun like they are about to enter a firefight or a b@dasss-so heroic pose. I think the other bots feel a little more natural with the poses you can pull off during "nothing".

• Like Like x 1
  19. RichP

RichP Well-Known Member

Prowl can nearly do the one leg run pose as well, but his heels are a bit too hollow. For me the biggest issue I have with the older bots is the head articulation. Ball joints give an emotive quality that the swivels can't match. Thankfully, Sunstreaker has one (and a bit of an actual neck as well). If Hot Rod had a ball joint head I'd be

• Like Like x 2
  20. Sam

Sam #moremasterpiece

News Credits:
    Hot Rod is one ball-jointed neck and two interchangeable faces away from being one of my favourites. So close!

• Like Like x 3